• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Declining the 15 extra years

Why does it seem to bother some, that most of us have decided that this would not be a wise investment? If you are a OKW owner and this has been offered then you need to decide if this will be worth the investment for you. Keyword folks, OKW owners! so to see constant back and forth when I believe (could have misread) from someone who has no ownership in OKW and wants to do a #'s trip on the majority of us who decided against, sorry I must be missing something:confused3 . If and when this offer comes around to the later built DVC resorts, and you think it is such a great offer go for it! In the mean time, please let dead horses lie! Clue, the mod's have suggested this already.
OKW owner:cheer2: proud, but declining!

lol, theres a pretty simple solution---dont read it

also are you suggesting that if dont own a particular resort you should not be able to discuss it? (also heres a hint: contracts held can change,theres such things as resales)

additionally, theres more to it thatn a simple extend or dont extend, read the previous couple posts about DVC's potential power. I never said I agreed with the way the did the extension and decline

lol, theres a pretty simple solution---dont read it

also are you suggesting that if dont own a particular resort you should not be able to discuss it? (also heres a hint: contracts held can change,theres such things as resales)

additionally, theres more to it thatn a simple extend or dont extend, read the previous couple posts about DVC's potential power. I never said I agreed with the way the did the extension and decline

I don't think anyone is saying it can't be discussed by non-owners, but to keep battering the point adnauseum gets a bit old after awhile.

It looks to me like very few of us OKW owners are willing to "take the plunge" on this one. It just smacks too much of them trying to bleed us dry for something only the next generation "might" get to use. I see no point in making that decision at this stage of the game.

When we added on at AKV, if this 15 year extension had already been known to us, we would have sold one OKW contract and purchased more AKV points than we did. It would be something "new" and "different" that we could use now and get enjoyment out of. We can't say that about the 15 additional years they are adding on to our contracts now with 35 years still to go.

We still don't know all the details on how this is going to work. For instance, is a reserve fund going to be collected from folks with 2042-expiring contracts to pay for post 2042 maintenance expenses?

This brings up another issue to be concerned about. In the past there was discussion about what happens to the reserve funds we pay into when 2042 gets here. Some thought we as owners would share in the return of these funds or they would some how reduce our maintenance fees in the latter years to zero these out. Now that they will continue until 2057 will those that decline the extension have to pay through 2042 to have funds in that account past 2042?

I don't think anyone is saying it can't be discussed by non-owners, but to keep battering the point adnauseum gets a bit old after awhile.
It looks to me like very few of us OKW owners are willing to "take the plunge" on this one.

Thank you, could not have said it better myself!
:goodvibes

We still don't know all the details on how this is going to work. For instance, is a reserve fund going to be collected from folks with 2042-expiring contracts to pay for post 2042 maintenance expenses?

This brings up another issue to be concerned about. In the past there was discussion about what happens to the reserve funds we pay into when 2042 gets here. Some thought we as owners would share in the return of these funds or they would some how reduce our maintenance fees in the latter years to zero these out. Now that they will continue until 2057 will those that decline the extension have to pay through 2042 to have funds in that account past 2042?

I would be very surprised if members received anything back at the end of their agreements. The reserve needs should be no different whether they extend or not. The reserves are to fund refurbishments scheduled out over varying useful lives of the asset. These programs are quite lucrative for the resorts -- we pay the capital costs to construct the resort, the ongoing costs to operate the resort and fund the reserves to maintain the resort. I guess in theme park talk it is like getting a sponsor for a ride. The sponsor pays to build the ride, then contributes annually to fund the ride and oh yea, then we pay to go on the ride!

:thumbsup2 And now, at least at AKV, you can even get your name hung up on the ride!

I would be very surprised if members received anything back at the end of their agreements. The reserve needs should be no different whether they extend or not. The reserves are to fund refurbishments scheduled out over varying useful lives of the asset. These programs are quite lucrative for the resorts -- we pay the capital costs to construct the resort, the ongoing costs to operate the resort and fund the reserves to maintain the resort. I guess in theme park talk it is like getting a sponsor for a ride. The sponsor pays to build the ride, then contributes annually to fund the ride and oh yea, then we pay to go on the ride!

Here are a couple of reminders. The DVC Boards are not the Debate boards. We do not allow Debates here.

Also, posts deemed to be argumentative and/or sarcastic are clearly against DIS Posting Guidelines.

This thread is literally hanging by a thread right now. Please stay within Posting Guidelines here or the thread will be locked. Thank you everyone.

I am an OKW owner and for what it is worth, I will not be extending my years.

I simply will not pay for something that I will not be around to use. I much prefer to save my cash and purchase Grand Californian and/or Contemporary Resort points if and when the time comes.

I will definitely get my money's worth out of those! :)

I am an OKW owner and for what it is worth, I will not be extending my years.

I simply will not pay for something that I will not be around to use. I much prefer to save my cash and purchase Grand Californian and/or Contemporary Resort points if and when the time comes.

I will definitely get my money's worth out of those! :)

And that is exactly why I started this thread and why I wanted other OKW owner's ideas on this. Sorry this turned into something other than expected, but I guess it happens when topics are as inflamatory as this one can be.

I too would much rather have added on more AKV points than buy 15 years of points I know I wont use and I know my 'kids' (who will likely be grandparents by then) aren't interested in paying maintenance on either.

I was just curious if others had other thoughts, and it seems they did!:laughing: Oh well, this horse is probably dead by now anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter