• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Decisions you have made which went against your families wishes?

None yet.
My wife and I almost always agree on everything, although I am the more cautious of the two of us. When we have had a difference of an opinion, it was when I gave IN to my families wishes that we have a problem.

1) Our son wanted to play catch. I said no, too dark to see the ball. My wife said yes. She couldn't see the ball, got hit in the face, broke her glasses and required 4 hours in the E.R. for stitches. Getting questioned three times in the E.R. about domestic violence. $800 for a new pair of glasses.

2) My wife wanted something out of a cabinet in the garage during our remodel. The cabinet was blocked by 8 solid core doors that were going to be installed the next day. I said she could wait, she said no. I said okay. Doors fell on her resulting in an injury that required surgery on her let, two days in the hospital, and two weeks on cruches.

3) Spigot out front needed to be replaced. I said I'll call a plumber. Wife said we can do it ourselves. I said okay, Result., 3 days, including Mother's Day with no water in the house

Married my DH. That was 26 years ago. 2 days before our wedding, my mom said, "When it doesn't work out, I'll pay for your divorce."
One of DH’s brothers refused to be in our wedding and told DH he gave us 6 months at the most. That was 23 years ago.
He and DH did end up becoming very close and he was my favorite brother-in-law. Sadly he passed away from cancer a couple years ago at just 43 years old.

One of DH’s brothers refused to be in our wedding and told DH he gave us 6 months at the most. That was 23 years ago.
He and DH did end up becoming very close and he was my favorite brother-in-law. Sadly he passed away from cancer a couple years ago at just 43 years old.
Sorry about your BIL's passing. Cancer is rough. :-(

My mother died 11 years ago from cancer. My kids were 2 and 4 at the time. That was hard! For 15 years, my mother was convinced that DH wasn't good enough for me, was lazy, and would amount to nothing positive. She hardly ever had anything nice to say about him. As a result of her inability to keep her opinions to herself on that matter, she & I remained 'not close' for that entire time until about a month before she passed away. I flew to her area and spent the weekend with her and we had a literal "come to Jesus" discussion about everything. I laid it all out and we resolved our differences with each other that weekend. She apologized for being so judgmental for so many years and she finally realized how much she missed out on being a closer part of our lives as a result of her insistence to have me live my life how she thought my life should be lived.

That was the last time I saw her in person. Work, a total lack of disposable income, and the needs of my immediate family prevented me from going back to see her just before she passed away.

marrying my first wife....and they were right!!!! But I was 30 and at what point in time do you become capable of making your own decsions....the problem is that i know what would have happen if I had not married her......there was a woman in my graduate class that we had many coffees together in the student union... I would have probably ruined her life as she had/has a great life

and if I had not married my first wife I would not have been a renasissance man in the world of fiction writing and the adventures we went own and that I created on my own. Living with my first wife was like living with Thomas pynchon

I am very lucky to understand the twists and turns in my life.

Renaissance Man may refer to:

• Polymath, a person in the archetype of the High Renaissance of broad talents and expertise

I can't really think of anything that I've done that went against my family's wishes.

Now, DH's sister told him to have me sign a pre-nuptial agreement before we married, and he didn't. In fact, he never told me about it until we'd been married about 20 years. Now at 35 years and still going strong.

Going to college
Starting my own business
Investing in real estate
Homeschooling my kids
Going to Disney twice a year every year

But, I did do a few big things that they wanted me to do that I probably should not have done.

Dating my daughters' father. If I hadn't I wouldn't have my daughters (obviously).

Hanging out with a coworker that my daughters didn't approve of. Sorry kids. I am adult, you were adults. Mom gets to have fun sometime too.

I divorced my first husband. I didn't blame them for their disapproval; my family had no idea what the actual situation was and they never will.

Bought a very large fixer upper house when my family told us we were crazy. Loved that house. We lived there 26 years and made a killing when we finally sold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter