Deciding on Resort with napping 2 yr old

Wsmagee

Mouseketeer
We are currently booked at AKL for 12.16-12.22. I have been super nervous about getting back to the resort for afternoon breaks with little ones, especially at such a busy time of year (I'm assuming lines will be longer and transportation to and from the resort will take longer). We have the free dining promo now, BUT it looks like staying at GF with the room discount promo would be a similar price if we were to book there and purchase the dining plan separate. Is it worth changing things up for the extra convenience of the monorail during busy december? This is our first trip as a family (my husband and I each went a couple times when we were young) and it is my son's 5th birthday so I booked AKL because I know he will love it, but I am realizing more and more that we won't be there much.

We stayed at the Grand Floridian last year and The Contemporary the year before that with our DS who was 20 months last year and the year before was only 8 months. It was great being able to use the monorail (when it was working, lol...I think we just have bad luck when it comes to the monorail) Are you planning on spending most of your time at Magic Kingdom? If so then I would price out Grand Floridian and Contemporary. I loved staying at Contemporary bc even when the monorail was down we were able to walk to Magic Kingdom.

We are booked at AKL for March but our DS is now 3 so we aren't planning on doing mid day breaks. If he gets sleepy he will fall asleep in the stroller.

Id stay monorail for ur situation. You're quite right, a busy time and long lines with an even longer bus ride to AKL.
I recently mentioned on another thread that when mine was little, we used the monorail as our "break" time instead of venturing back to our resort ( usually POR or POFQ at the time).
Little one napped in stroller and we just relaxed, got some AC and took a break, often stopping at GF or POLY and having a snack or cocktail while he napped. So relaxing.
Then we d go about the rest of our day ... Back to the park but.....Not always returning to a park, sometimes a pool for rest of day. We just didn't subscribe to the commando type vacation ... It's tiring enough with all the walking and wAiting, so calmer trips prevailed. So enjoyable.
Wherever you choose, hope it's Magical!

Id stay monorail for ur situation. You're quite right, a busy time and long lines with an even longer bus ride to AKL.
I recently mentioned on another thread that when mine was little, we used the monorail as our "break" time instead of venturing back to our resort ( usually POR or POFQ at the time).
Little one napped in stroller and we just relaxed, got some AC and took a break, often stopping at GF or POLY and having a snack or cocktail while he napped. So relaxing.
Then we d go about the rest of our day ... Back to the park but.....Not always returning to a park, sometimes a pool for rest of day. We just didn't subscribe to the commando type vacation ... It's tiring enough with all the walking and wAiting, so calmer trips prevailed. So enjoyable.
Wherever you choose, hope it's Magical!

I like this idea! My thing is that I just don't know when we'll get to go back again, and I want to make the most of it. I know commando style def won't work for us, I mean I feel like I might need to nap a few days during the trip to make it the full 6 days! AKL sounds so nice but seems like quite the trek.

AKL is a bit of a trek. I'd suggest looking in to the GF or Contemporary (I agree with OP-- Contemp is even more convenient, at least to MK), but at this point it's really all about price-- where can you stay at a comparable price to what you would have spent at AKL.

For your son, I'd plan a dinner at Sanaa. The menu is adventurous for a kid, but he will be surrounded by the animals throughout the meal, same view as from the hotel balconies.

Would GF be the same price with the added dining plan as AK or would GF be the same as AK without dining? I would recommend GF. As lovely as AK is it does take longer to get there in the afternoon and those afternoon breaks are fabulous. Plus the little mad hatter water area at GF is real cute for kids!

I would,say to stay at a monorail resort to make it much easier. You can also try Contemporary if you want a little cheaper option. You may not spend much time at the resort anyway. We just returned from the Polynesian and loved it! I was going to make more resort time to spend by the pool but only swam once. We spent a lot of time at the parks and by the time we came back in the afternoon I just wanted to lie down in the room and relax.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is wonderful but very far from every park (except Animal Kingdom, of course). Being on the monorail would be much more convenient for you.

Speaking from experience, if you can swing the GF- I would definitely pick that. We have stayed there with our DS ranging from 18 months to 3 years. The resort is a very peaceful respite from the parks and the proximity can't be beat. It is wonderful for napping kids and perfect to de-stimulate from all that's going on in the parks. The quick service is open 24 hours (in case you need milk), the pools and Alice in Wonderland splash pad are fantastic for the 2 year old, and monorail is convenient. Alernalty, the first stop on the boat is the GF as you are leaving MK- in case the monorail is down or has a long line. First stop on the monorail to MK and first stop back on the boat. The kids can also see the Electric Water Pageant and wishes from the hotel as well.

Would GF be the same price with the added dining plan as AK or would GF be the same as AK without dining? I would recommend GF. As lovely as AK is it does take longer to get there in the afternoon and those afternoon breaks are fabulous. Plus the little mad hatter water area at GF is real cute for kids!
At first glance I thought it was the same price but looks like it's about $500 more for our 6 night trip to stay at GF and switch to the holiday room discount instead of free dining.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful input! Everything said is super helpful, I always love hearing from others who have been there done that! Sounds like AKL may be a better bet for when our kids are a bit older and if we go at a less busy time. I think we'll definitely make the switch, but now I have the contemporary on my mind too! It's definitely more affordable, but GF has nostalgia for me as that is where we stayed on our trips when I was young. Decisions, decisions...

We stayed at the Poly for this reason and doing it again next month with our 2yo. One thing about Contemporary is you can walk it if you don't feel like waiting on the monorail. Any of the monorail resorts would be great option. We're saving AKL for when the kids are past the napping stage. By then, I'll probably be the one taking naps.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful input! Everything said is super helpful, I always love hearing from others who have been there done that! Sounds like AKL may be a better bet for when our kids are a bit older and if we go at a less busy time. I think we'll definitely make the switch, but now I have the contemporary on my mind too! It's definitely more affordable, but GF has nostalgia for me as that is where we stayed on our trips when I was young. Decisions, decisions...

Let us know what you decide!

The contemporary is wonderful! My kids LOVED staying there when we stayed there in 2014. I love it bc everything is under 1 roof if you stay in the tower, so once you get back in the building its so easy to walk down and get a snack at the contempo cafe (which is awesome by the way, lol). Also if you stay in a theme park view the view of the fireworks at night is seriously incredible...it feels like the fireworks are right outside your balcony! We loved the Contemporary when we stayed there. The Grand Floridian was nice and all, but it was a little too fancy for our family when we stayed there, lol...just not our cup of tea sort of speak, lol. We are staying at AKL in March but my kids are older now (10 and 3 1/2 at the time of the trip) so we aren't planning on mid day breaks...my 3 yr old will just sleep in his stroller if he gets sleepy. We will also have our own car so if my hubby really has to he will take him back to the resort...plus my MIL is coming along as well, but she is staying at POP so if my son needs a mid day break my MIL said my hubby can just take my little one back to her hotel for a break since its a little closer to everything. Anyways I would seriously consider Contemporary...we also loved being able to walk to Magic Kingdom if the monorail was down.

We are currently booked at AKL for 12.16-12.22. I have been super nervous about getting back to the resort for afternoon breaks with little ones, especially at such a busy time of year (I'm assuming lines will be longer and transportation to and from the resort will take longer). We have the free dining promo now, BUT it looks like staying at GF with the room discount promo would be a similar price if we were to book there and purchase the dining plan separate. Is it worth changing things up for the extra convenience of the monorail during busy december? This is our first trip as a family (my husband and I each went a couple times when we were young) and it is my son's 5th birthday so I booked AKL because I know he will love it, but I am realizing more and more that we won't be there much.
one thing to remember GF is the last stop on resort monorail loop. if son falls asleep on monorail and wakes up as you get off may not sleep or rest much when you get to room. my grandkids fall asleep as monorail starts moving but wake up every time it stops. we were just there and resort monorail was not running at mid day times. granted we where going to the TTC not a resort so we could use the ferry but resorts were busing

I vote Contemporary! We stayed at Bay Lake for a week with my 1 yr old and 4 yr old. Being able to walk to MK was quite definitely priceless in our book. We had a lake view so it was serene and beautiful, the room was a nice calm style break from the busy, and the pool was still fun for the kiddos. Being next to the main building was really helpful too - quick walk for extra groceries or drinks or snacks. But let me be frank - when we did our night at MK, and baby went home after the parade (and DH was back in the room 15 minutes after he left us on main street) and I stayed with our older daughter for fireworks and she was SO TIRED and we popped her in the stroller and zoomed past all the waiting hordes and she got to bed just a little bit later...now THAT was awesome.

Disney with little kids requires so much flexibility and go with the flow...staying a walk away and not needing to ever wait for anything (a monorail, a boat, etc) was really fabulous. Not ever needing to fold the stroller, or wrestle it through a crowd, or empty the bottom bin or cupholders or move the sleeping kiddo. Ahh...

I vote Contemporary! We stayed at Bay Lake for a week with my 1 yr old and 4 yr old. Being able to walk to MK was quite definitely priceless in our book. We had a lake view so it was serene and beautiful, the room was a nice calm style break from the busy, and the pool was still fun for the kiddos. Being next to the main building was really helpful too - quick walk for extra groceries or drinks or snacks. But let me be frank - when we did our night at MK, and baby went home after the parade (and DH was back in the room 15 minutes after he left us on main street) and I stayed with our older daughter for fireworks and she was SO TIRED and we popped her in the stroller and zoomed past all the waiting hordes and she got to bed just a little bit later...now THAT was awesome.

Disney with little kids requires so much flexibility and go with the flow...staying a walk away and not needing to ever wait for anything (a monorail, a boat, etc) was really fabulous. Not ever needing to fold the stroller, or wrestle it through a crowd, or empty the bottom bin or cupholders or move the sleeping kiddo. Ahh...

Man, that is priceless!!!

We did Contemporary when DD was 2 and BLT when she was 3. Highly Recommend either with nappers or just in general. So convenient to have the option to walk to MK. We're doing BLT this year with DD(4), grandparents, and DS(will be 2 months)!

Go with the Contemporary instead of GF. If Monorails are down, you can always walk back to your room.

If you're def. wanting to go back for naps, then yes, I'd only do it if I were on the monorail, or really it'd be better if you were at CR (you could walk or ride back -in the many instances that the monorail is down). This is assuming you're spending most of your time at MK or Epcot. If you're spending most of your time at Epcot and/or DHS, then I'd choose a resort their (BC, YC, S&D, BW). We've done the nap thing before and if not close with easy transportation to/from resort, it's just way too much work, time consuming and just not worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter