December 2023 Planning Thread

We're booked Dec 24-27th. This was supposed to be a 2020 trip but well...... At any rate, I've not been to DL since 1987. Lots of WDW trips but this will be the first DL trip for my kids. How serious do I have to get about planning rides, etc? We're not concerned with getting dining reservations, but more with rides. I've got my tickets from 2020 that I plan to convert to current when I get there, but if reservations are really a problem, then maybe I need to figure out something beforehand??

Costs on site have gone up for Dec since Covid but they haven't tripled at DLR. I think they actually may have had steeper increases off site. I am paying about $75/night more than 3 years ago for a standard room at GCH.

The late fall discount has always been good for me but this year I got a better rate than the fall discount by booking it really early (March, I think). I also check each selection of Dec dates to see when I'd get the cheapest rate. A lot of people don't realize that the days of the week have different costs just like different times of the month. If your whole trip is weeknights, you'll pay less per night. My trip has 2 weekend nights and 2 weekday. Weekend rates were $123/night more. And, of course, that also means higher tax amounts on those nights. This year was the steepest, costing me $39/night more than last year, but last year we had only 1 weekend night.

Yes, sorry I should have made it clearer that I meant offsite. We favour Hotel Indigo. In 2018 we paid $1,028 for 7 nights. This year we are $2,698 for 8 nights.

I was being a little extreme with the treble comment too but it is over double. That is with one extra night too. It doesn’t help that our UK sterling against the dollar is even worse than it was in 2018 too.

We're booked Dec 24-27th. This was supposed to be a 2020 trip but well...... At any rate, I've not been to DL since 1987. Lots of WDW trips but this will be the first DL trip for my kids. How serious do I have to get about planning rides, etc? We're not concerned with getting dining reservations, but more with rides. I've got my tickets from 2020 that I plan to convert to current when I get there, but if reservations are really a problem, then maybe I need to figure out something beforehand??
That is one of the busiest times of the year. You should definitely not be waiting until you get there to try and get reservations. I would call Disney and see if they can help get you new tickets (you will pay the difference) and get your reservations booked!

Yeah, Christmas is busy and they recently offered hotel discounts. DLH for $589 isn't too bad but that's with a 20% off MK discount. Without a MK, the discount is, I think, 15%.

It does seem to be pretty booked at GCH--no standard rooms left. Cheapest room is $845 for woods/courtyard. Ouch.
I was actually looking for a cheap hotel in the area, not even onsite! My usual "go-to's" are either booked, or pricey!

I was actually looking for a cheap hotel in the area, not even onsite! My usual "go-to's" are either booked, or pricey!
This worries me for future trips. I've been going to DLR in Dec with my sister for about a decade now. It's definitely getting harder to plan & book as well as more expensive! We usually go between the first and second weeks of Dec, which didn't used to be that busy but things are changing.

Do we expect any days where the park will be at capacity? This is our first time going during a busy season, specifically Christmas Day and New Years Eve, and post-Covid so not sure what to expect 😬

That is one of the busiest times of the year. You should definitely not be waiting until you get there to try and get reservations. I would call Disney and see if they can help get you new tickets (you will pay the difference) and get your reservations booked!

agreed. don't wait, get your park reservations now.

Thanks. Part of the complication is that I purchased the tix from undercover tourist. When I emailed Disney they said they couldn't do anything and directed me back to UT, but maybe I'll have better luck with a phone call.

Thanks. Part of the complication is that I purchased the tix from undercover tourist. When I emailed Disney they said they couldn't do anything and directed me back to UT, but maybe I'll have better luck with a phone call.
You might try Undercover Tourist first then, if you haven't already. Maybe they can update your tickets since you bought through them? Or refund the ticket price? I think they're the ones I've heard are really good about refunding tickets.

Rides aren't that bad depending on what you want. It's pretty much the same, rides like ROR and Peter Pan are always higher queues, try to get the Genie+ or ILL for those or Radiator Springs.

Dec 7-10- all hotels look busy and expensive- just because it's Christmas/Dec and a weekend?
All of December at this point is either booked or incredibly expensive. I ended up with Motel 6 with under 300 for a few days and it's more than doubled in price at this point. I'm scared to check other places at this point.

I saw that it is the Pharmacy association and was told it is a really big convention. I saw somewhere (cannot remember where) possibly 10-15 thousand folks attending
That would explain the car rental prices going up by a couple hundred. I'm glad I booked early. Still cheaper than a lyft/uber from LAX

I'm gonna throw in this question about weather. I know Southern CA is typically warm but how is the weather in late November/early December? short sleeves OK or a sweatshirt/jacket? I have not been in So. CA during that time of year in ages.

I'm gonna throw in this question about weather. I know Southern CA is typically warm but how is the weather in late November/early December? short sleeves OK or a sweatshirt/jacket? I have not been in So. CA during that time of year in ages.
This is so relative to where you are coming from and what you are used to. I am prepared to be freezing since I am coming from Arizona, and it is always stupidly hot here. I had to buy sweatpants in park last year so I wasn't miserable during our Otcober trip.

I bring a T-shirt, rain coat, poncho, and Spirit Jersey/hoodie.

Then I cram them into the bottom of my kids stroller and apply as needed.

Don't forget rain boots or hiking sandals (i.e. Keens)

I always get a hotel across the street (BW PPI) so I can drop off/pick up clothes as needed.

We are from NW Washington and I was cold last year the first week in December. I don't think it ever hit more than 65 and for some reason 65 felt colder there. We wore sweatshirts in the morning and evening, long pants and leggings, and tee shirts mid day. We always bring our thin raincoats and just have them in a backpack just in case.

I'm someone who gets cold very easily. I'm cold in air-conditioned stores, hotels, restaurants, etc so I always have a lightweight sweatshirt/jacket even if it's hot outside. I'd rather spend $10 for a locker to store something than be miserable without it. I usually find having a locker to be pretty handy anyway.

I always go to DLR between the first and second weeks of Dec. It's pretty unpredictable. Could be hot, cold, mild, raining, calm windy etc but odds are it will be mild temps in the daytime and cool at night. When I say cool at night, that's like sweatshirt temps, but for me it's downright cold. As soon as the sun goes down, the temp really drops.

Thought I would take a shot at organizing a planning thread! Far in advance, but we know our New Year's trip dates now. Still waiting on October for the Halloween party dates to be announced before booking that one. Who else is going in December 2023?
party:

Just booked the Disneyland Hotel!
My daughter and I are so excited to return for the first weekend in December, 1st through the 4th. We have been to WDW many times during Christmas, but this will be our first at DL. Staying at the new Disneyland Tower. We were able to gets reservations at the Napa Rose Chef’s counter, never done that before, super excited! Sad we won’t make it to Fantasmic, but we are doing WOC dessert party again, such a great way to get seats. Can’t wait to show my friend DL it will be her first trip, she loves WDW too, so should be magical.

Last edited:
My daughter and I are so excited to return for the first weekend in December, 1st through the 4th. We have been to WDW many times during Christmas, but this will be our first at DL. Staying at the new Disneyland Tower. We were able to gets reservations at the Napa Rose Chef’s counter, never done that before, super excited! Sad we won’t make it to Fantasmic, but we are doing WOC dessert party again, such a great way to get seats. Can’t wait to show my friend DL it will be her first trip, she loves WDW too, so should be magical.
Awesome!! I'm going the 7-11 and this will be my first time trying out the dessert party! My sis and I go every year at that time and w always try to find something new to do. I hope you and your friend have a fantastic time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter