December 2014 Car Rental Discount Watch

Where is your drop off and pick up? Alamo site won't let me use coupon at either MCO or Dolphin/Swan.
I can't seem to come anywhere near that price!?!

I had both pick up and drop off at MCO with those codes. Are you paying with Visa? I already had our Visa card on file with our Alamo account so maybe that makes a difference.

Where is your drop off and pick up? Alamo site won't let me use coupon at either MCO or Dolphin/Swan.
I can't seem to come anywhere near that price!?!

I'm wanting to rent from the airport from 12/18-23 and can't come close to that price either using the codes - best I can get is $305 for anything. At that rate, it looks like it will be using Disney transportation. :worried:

I'm wanting to rent from the airport from 12/18-23 and can't come close to that price either using the codes - best I can get is $305 for anything. At that rate, it looks like it will be using Disney transportation. :worried:
Dollar has a special for a standard car for $189 per week. Go to the website and look under "specials". It comes out to $250.33 with taxes.

Dollar has a special for a standard car for $189 per week. Go to the website and look under "specials". It comes out to $250.33 with taxes.

That special expires on 12/18, though. I think that those of us going closer to Christmas are going to have a tough time, unless they start offering holiday specials here sometime soon.

That special expires on 12/18, though. I think that those of us going closer to Christmas are going to have a tough time, unless they start offering holiday specials here sometime soon.
true, but the poster I was responding to was arriving on 12/18. Christmas week is one of the most expensive times of year in Orlando ... For everything.

true, but the poster I was responding to was arriving on 12/18. Christmas week is one of the most expensive times of year in Orlando ... For everything.

So do the rates apply the entire trip if only the first day is included in the promo (like typical Disney deals)? If so, that'd be awesome. Now, I just need one that ends on the 20th.... :)

So do the rates apply the entire trip if only the first day is included in the promo (like typical Disney deals)? If so, that'd be awesome. Now, I just need one that ends on the 20th.... :)
Yes, the price is based on when you pick up the car.

ETA: Laura, you did the right thing and booked your car back in June and you have a great price! Didn't you say back then you had a car for $241 for 8 days? It's going to be really hard to beat that this late in the game.

sent you a pm.....:thumbsup2

Ours is a little different. Hope y'all can help.

We're going nowhere near Disney. :( But we're still looking at a mini-van rental.

Four adults, one child in a booster. Two week period over Christmas. Pick-up on December 19th or 20th. Drop off probably January 2. Cincinnati area. Need unlimited mileage, because we're taking this van to Louisiana. Probably three drivers.

DH has been looking at prices. I think he can get one right now for about $700 for the period. At those prices, we could probably fly two of the adults (my in-laws) down for less.

We have a car that seats five. But it's a tight fit.

Yes, the price is based on when you pick up the car.

ETA: Laura, you did the right thing and booked your car back in June and you have a great price! Didn't you say back then you had a car for $241 for 8 days? It's going to be really hard to beat that this late in the game.

That's the kicker. :(

I did rent a car for a fabulous rate, but then we decided to extend our trip. No trouble with the airfare (because we booked Southwest), and able to get another night with the free dining deal, so awesome, right? But then I tried the car, and found out that you can't simply extend the reservation - you need to cancel the reservation and book a new one. :crazy2: And that's when my ressie went from $241 to over $500!!

I haven't rebooked at this point, and am seriously considering just bussing the whole trip. If we were staying Value, I wouldn't be stressing it because the bus service is so good there. But at CBR... I'm a little concerned. So I'm still looking. And hoping. :goodvibes

That's the kicker. :(

I did rent a car for a fabulous rate, but then we decided to extend our trip. No trouble with the airfare (because we booked Southwest), and able to get another night with the free dining deal, so awesome, right? But then I tried the car, and found out that you can't simply extend the reservation - you need to cancel the reservation and book a new one. :crazy2: And that's when my ressie went from $241 to over $500!!

I haven't rebooked at this point, and am seriously considering just bussing the whole trip. If we were staying Value, I wouldn't be stressing it because the bus service is so good there. But at CBR... I'm a little concerned. So I'm still looking. And hoping. :goodvibes
Yeah, when you make changes to a car reservation you will often have to pay more. Do you still have the $241 reservation or did you cancel it? What were your original dates and what are your new dates? I have some ideas.

Yeah, when you make changes to a car reservation you will often have to pay more. Do you still have the $241 reservation or did you cancel it? What were your original dates and what are your new dates? I have some ideas.

Had to cancel the whole darn thing, so now I have nada - starting from scratch. Original dates were 12/20-27, just added one night for a new departure of 12/28.

Had to cancel the whole darn thing, so now I have nada - starting from scratch. Original dates were 12/20-27, just added one night for a new departure of 12/28.
Crap. You should have held onto it and just spent a couple hours swapping out the car on the 27th.

Frankly, I can't find anything under $350 a week. It could be because it's the weekend. I'll try my usual tricks on Wednesday which is a better day for discounts.

Crap. You should have held onto it and just spent a couple hours swapping out the car on the 27th. Frankly, I can't find anything under $350 a week. It could be because it's the weekend. I'll try my usual tricks on Wednesday which is a better day for discounts.

I actually considered that, but honestly, the last thing I want to do the day before I head home is leave my family to deal with the rental car. I knew it was a risk canceling it, but our Disney vacations allow me to have a complete escape from the world with my family. (Long story involving crazy work and travel schedule here that I won't jump into...) In the end, it wasn't worth interrupting that escape to make the rental car work.

If we have to do the bus, we'll do the bus. And supplement with cabs when we're missing our car. If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them, and I'll keep on watching the rates. :)

I actually considered that, but honestly, the last thing I want to do the day before I head home is leave my family to deal with the rental car.
For future reference you could have kept the reservation and called to extend it once you were there and simply paid the extra day charge for keeping it an extra day. You may have been charged an extra fee on top of that. Of course, the Alamo agents won't tell you that.

If we have to do the bus, we'll do the bus. And supplement with cabs when we're missing our car. If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them, and I'll keep on watching the rates. :)
People have also been using Uber in the WDW area. I think you'll be fine with WDW transportation. If you want groceries at your resort you can either have them delivered or you can book a limo from the airport that includes a grocery stop.

For future reference you could have kept the reservation and called to extend it once you were there and simply paid the extra day charge for keeping it an extra day. You may have been charged an extra fee on top of that. Of course, the Alamo agents won't tell you that.

So here is where lessons are hard-learned: I'd actually scored an even lower rate through Southwest, and so canceled my Dollar reservation months ago. When I tried to extend online with Southwest, the site told me to call. And when I talked to an agent, they told me that because the ressie was not directly with them, they could not extend and I'd have to cancel and re-book. By that time, I think I was so frustrated that I just canceled, not realizing the likely much higher rates awaiting me. If only I'd held onto that Dollar ressie.... :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter