Dear Parents of Young Children:

Fargoman2

DIS Veteran
First, let me confess that I am very jealous of you. No, not about the sleepless nights, constant messes, the occasional random temper tantrums and the general overall chaos of early parenting. No, I'm jealous that it's your turn to have all those magical moments with your toddler(s) as they experience Disney magic for the first time(s). I miss those years BADLY---where did they go? We began going every year in 2001 when our kids were 12,9, and 2. The visits FLEW by and now we have a married 25 year old, a college graduate and a HS sophomore. It's tough to say goodbye to that era of our lives even as we celebrate the next magical seasons in our kids lives.

So my unsolicited advice to you is to SAVOR every single moment of your WDW visit(s) with your young ones, ESPECIALLY if it's your FIRST VISIT. There's nothing like that moment when you first see the Disney signs driving in and when you walk down Main Street and see that castle. Good luck not tearing up, even if you are president of the he-man's club.

Don't be like me chasing all over the parks trying to manufacture every magical moment--relax and soak it ALL in. That doesn't mean "wing it," either by the way; you still need to plan well or you will be very sorry. Just be sure to take time to treasure the smallest of magical moments along the way. Get a ton of pictures and videos--but make sure you don't go overboard with that either. I felt like my first couple trips were only seen through a viewfinder of a camera. Oh and one practical piece of advice I will always remember from the Official Guide to Disney, "take the nap, take the nap, take the nap!"

So young parents--just forget all the stress and chaos of planning and managing your Disney trip(s)--roll with it and take advantage of what are and will always be among the most magical memories of your lives. Before you know it, you'll be walking your daughters down the aisle wondering how this time passed you by so quickly.

Let the memories begin and keep the magic rolling as long as you can...

(I realize none of you needed this advice, of course. I just needed to share for my own therapeutic benefit if nothing else. Cheers!)

Thank you! Love this post. As a mom of two. #1. 21. #2. 8. I know all too well what you mean! Take the time to soak it in and enjoy. I love this reminder and will carry it with me next week! pixiedust:

Thanks for the advice! We are taking DD2 on her first WDW trip in Feb. I am worried about the nap part, but hopefully it will all work out. I am hoping we can have a successful stroller nap or two.

Oh my, I don't cry easy, but this one got me weepy.

What a wonderful post and very true. My girls are in their 30's now and I finally have a grandson that I can take to WDW and make up for all the missed moments.

I sit now while he's playing in the fountains just listening to him giggle. I can't tell you half of what happens on a ride or in a show because I look at him and watch his expressions and the pure joy on his face.

I'm loving every moment now, having learned just as you did.

Here's hoping someday you get do overs too! :)

I savor every moment!!! My kids go one at a time (special trip that Grandma takes them on when they turn 8, I go too... lol), and it's more than likely a once in a lifetime trip. I get jealous of the kids that get to experience Disney on a yearly basis... jealous of the adults too. But that's why I make the most of when we go, because I know that will be my only Disney trip with them as children. Maybe one day we'll get to go when they are all grown up with kids of their own, but for now, I tell myself that this is the ONE chance to see the magic through their eyes and it helps me to relax and take things as they come because there are no do-overs. :)

How true your words are! I miss my kids when they were little so much! Mine are 26 and 23. My daughter (23) and I are having our first girl's only trip in December. I can't wait!

As a mom of a 23, 22,22,19, and 11 year old I will agree with everything the OP said and add one bit of advice. Follow your kid's lead a bit and let them pause and look at the duck family or play with the jumping fountain at Epcpt etc. Take pictures of this spontaneous fun too. When my youngest was turned 2 at DLR I think her favorite thing on our Disneyland day was the ducks and I have the cutest pictures of her crouched down watching them. Enjoy!

Thank you for this post. We are taking our 2 year old Mickey&Minnie obsessed daughter for the first time and we can't wait to see her responses to everything.

The first post/thread I read today. And you're right... none of us (myself mainly) need to hear this, but what a nice way to bring our upcoming trip into perspective. It's nice to be reminded of that which is so obvious sometimes. With all of the "I'll never vacation at WDW again" posts, it's good to remember why we go there.

Thank you for taking the time to post this! pixiedust: :goodvibes

:thanks:

What a lovely post! My kids are now 12(DD) & 18(DS) and we rarely had a plan for visiting the parks (Disneyland & California Adventure). Other than maybe trying to make a show or parade, we would pretty much "go with the flow". Instead of "making magic" we prefer to just let those magical moments happen as they will.... and always do. :goodvibes

Yes, what is it about the ducks and that jumping fountain outside of figment? Those are exactly my kids' favorite "unscheduled" moments and even though I scooted them past a duck family once or twice, we did stop at least 3 times to watch ducks and for a half hour at the Epcot fountains. I hope I did okay by my kids - a few times saying "not right now, but I PROMISE we'll come back" and I don't think I broke those promises. The kids definitely have a different appreciation for what's in front of them!

Lovely post!
I will be taking my DD 7 for her second trip in April 2015 and we can't wait.
Her first trip was magical. She had a priceless smile on her face the whole time.
I feel so lucky to be able to bring such joy to her life.
Thanks again for your kind words and advice.

Thanks for the advice! We are taking DD2 on her first WDW trip in Feb. I am worried about the nap part, but hopefully it will all work out. I am hoping we can have a successful stroller nap or two.

We took our son when he was 6 months and he took at least a nap a day -often two - in his stroller. It can work. The other place he'd fall asleep was on the bus ride to and from the resort to a park, and on the ride inside the Epcot Ball.

Your post made me tear up. My children are 12 and 9 and we are going to Disney World for the very first time. We've been to Disneyland and California Adventure more times than I could count and I usualy just wing it there. But this trip, I have been planning and everything that I am scheduling I am picturing it through their eyes. The way they will see it for the first time. I am trying not to go over board and will definitely take your advice and savor the moments. I'm already feeling that missing feeling when I see babies. I'm going to be a wreck when my kids become adults. :sad:

Thank you for your post.

We took our son when he was 6 months and he took at least a nap a day -often two - in his stroller. It can work. The other place he'd fall asleep was on the bus ride to and from the resort to a park, and on the ride inside the Epcot Ball.

We took my grandson for the first time when he was 6 months old. I have a whole series of pictures with subtitles- Evan asleep in Epcot..Evan asleep at The Magic Kingdom...etc.:)

I think we all need this advice!! You made me tear up! I'm a very sentimental person and I get that time really does fly by...you never understand that until you have kids. This is why we go every year, and don't give a crap what people think/say. These kids are only small once and getting older by the day. Like you said before we know it, we'll be walking our daughter down the aisle....ahhh, don't even want to think about that, but it's true. EVERYONE has to stop and smell the roses everyday. Disney can be stressful at times, especially with kids and it's often hard to enjoy every second while there....but 20-30 years from now, we'll miss those seconds. :hug:

Thanks! We went for the first time earlier this year with our (then) two and five year olds, and I think we struck a good balance on all the things you mentioned, and had the most wonderful time of our lives.

I have to say, when I saw the subject heading "Dear Parents of Young Children," I was thinking, "Oh, here we go. What are parents of today doing wrong this time?" I was very pleasantly surprised when I opened it. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter