• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDP with charecter meals - does that make it worth it?

Lalyde

Earning My Ears
I went into this thinking that the DDP would not be worth it but I am starting to reconsider. Once I factor in the character meals I am starting to think it might be worth it. Here is my current dining plan:

Monday - Storybook dining at AP
Tuesday - CRT dinner
Wednesday - Bon Voyage breakfast (this would be the only one I might give up but could easily replace it with a TS dinner - no charecters)
Thursday - Flame tree BBQ (I know my husband will enjoy eating here so its in my plan even thought its a QS)
Friday - BOG lunch

When I look at the menus I am up to about $722. I will likely get a couple reusable mugs and need to eat a least one or two more meals.

We rented DVC points so I originally planned breakfast in our room and a maybe a snack a day in the parks but now I am leaning towards just not worrying about it and having the food prepaid for.

I am a little torn. It seems like a lot of money for food but I am starting to think I will be paying for it anyways...

Character meals are generally a good use of DDP credit. You COULD break even or even come out ahead using DDP in your situation. Personally if it's within about $100 I usually book dining plan just for the added convenience. And FYI, BOG lunch is also QS.

I do know BOG is a QS. I was able to get a reservation for it.

I am kind of leaning towards I might as well. I probably wouldn't order a drink or let the kids get a fancy drink but if it was included I might just enjoy it.

Yeah, I kind of know that. CRT is a must do for us (the kid's first visit) and even if I paid for that out of pocket I don't think we would have enough time/stomach space to fit in two more TS. :o I do appreciate the feedback though. Things to think about.

THIS is why I like to using DDP, even if it costs a bit more up front. It's nice to let the kids upgrade the drinks and get whatever snacks they want. Makes for a more fun trip IMO.

This is one reason the DDP is a good investment for my family. I would never buy the extras for myself, but would never say no to the kids. Kind of a win win, for us. I like the extras, nut I cringe every time I see the cost, and I like the kids to be happy, so I cringe and get them anyway.

Yes, they are both Disney kids. They will be 6 and 7. :)

This is when the plan can actually be a good investment. With kids under ten, if you are going to character meals, want specialty drinks, like snack for the children (or yourself) the plan works. It is nto as easy to justify it when the kids reach ten unless you are into the AYCTE and fixed cost meals.

The cost per person on the Disney Dining Plan is $ 75.50 per day for anyone 10 years and up, and $25.75 for children ages 3 to 9. Since you contemplate spending around $772.00 based on your restaurant choices just do the math and you'll know if the plan works for you. Assuming 2 adults and 2 children your daily plan cost would be $ 202.50 so just multiply that figure by how many nights you'll be there. Seems like 4 nights so the plan would cost $ 810.00 and include 3 meals per day depending on how you choose to use your dining credits. I prefer to use snack credits for most breakfasts as we are light eaters in the morning and don't tend to like hot food at that time of day.

However, CRT is a killer. Two credits is a terrible value compared to the cash price.

At dinner, I wouldn't say "terrible." You're still getting $40+ in value for each adult credit and $25+ for each kids' credit. Compared to other character meals that's not great, but it's on-par with many (most) other 1-credit TS meals, I think.

Seems like 4 nights so the plan would cost $ 810.00 and include 3 meals per day depending on how you choose to use your dining credits. I prefer to use snack credits for most breakfasts as we are light eaters in the morning and don't tend to like hot food at that time of day.

I know you're saying you use snacks for some meals, so get what you mean. However, this could be misleading to someone new to the DDPs. The regular dining plan only INCLUDES 2 meals per day, 1 TS and 1 QS.

The CRT price also includes tips, so you don't have any extra on top of the price either. That may help justify it's 2 table credits.

I went into this thinking that the DDP would not be worth it but I am starting to reconsider. Once I factor in the character meals I am starting to think it might be worth it. Here is my current dining plan:

Monday - Storybook dining at AP
Tuesday - CRT dinner
Wednesday - Bon Voyage breakfast (this would be the only one I might give up but could easily replace it with a TS dinner - no charecters)
Thursday - Flame tree BBQ (I know my husband will enjoy eating here so its in my plan even thought its a QS)
Friday - BOG lunch

When I look at the menus I am up to about $722. I will likely get a couple reusable mugs and need to eat a least one or two more meals.

We rented DVC points so I originally planned breakfast in our room and a maybe a snack a day in the parks but now I am leaning towards just not worrying about it and having the food prepaid for.

I am a little torn. It seems like a lot of money for food but I am starting to think I will be paying for it anyways...

I do the math (spreadsheet) every trip, and we always have been better off oop. However, we get an alcoholic beverage at lunch and dinner, so that one addition to the DP has pushed it to “break even” our next trip. While it’s killing me to prepay $2,000 for dining, it’s going to be convenient and less to pay after the trip. Plus I can order steak as much as I want and let the kids get whatever they want instead of watching prices.

We are just going to use 2 TS for CRT instead of paying oop because 6 TS (mostly character or buffets) in 7 days is plenty for us.

If you’re close to the “break even” point you might as well do it for the convenience.

I did the math, I made a spreadsheet of what I thought I would eat (clearly I have too much time on my hands) but just hearing other peoples' thoughts helps me process.

I do the math (spreadsheet) every trip, and we always have been better off oop. However, we get an alcoholic beverage at lunch and dinner, so that one addition to the DP has pushed it to “break even” our next trip. While it’s killing me to prepay $2,000 for dining, it’s going to be convenient and less to pay after the trip. Plus I can order steak as much as I want and let the kids get whatever they want instead of watching prices.

We are just going to use 2 TS for CRT instead of paying oop because 6 TS (mostly character or buffets) in 7 days is plenty for us.

If you’re close to the “break even” point you might as well do it for the convenience.

I think I have come to this same conclusion. I will use CRT despite the 2 TS credits needed because with our travel days and QS we just don't need more food. I also think I just just want to pay up front for the convenience of it all. I will get to order some things I would not otherwise and if I pay now I won't get as stressed out watching things add up on the trip, particularly since we are so close to spending that anyways based on our current plan.

I did the math, I made a spreadsheet of what I thought I would eat (clearly I have too much time on my hands) but just hearing other peoples' thoughts helps me process.

I think I have come to this same conclusion. I will use CRT despite the 2 TS credits needed because with our travel days and QS we just don't need more food. I also think I just just want to pay up front for the convenience of it all. I will get to order some things I would not otherwise and if I pay now I won't get as stressed out watching things add up on the trip, particularly since we are so close to spending that anyways based on our current plan.

Go to a Disney Vlog on you tube and check out snacks. You can use the credits for snacks that will be your breakfast, and stretch your CS a long way. Or will substitute for lunch if you want a CS dinner.

For our December trip, we decided to get the DDP one last time since my oldest DD us turning 10 in September. We booked multiple character dining and pre-fixe dinners (Storybook, Tusker House ROL pkg, Crystal Palace, Tony's FOF pkg for the Chrismast parade) because once she is 10, I don't think we will do any buffet or character dining anymore.

I did the rough math using dining calculators and found it worth it for us. We are doing (1) TS meal daily (and several character meals throughout the week). We booked the Play, Stay, Dine package which had dining roughly 45% off from what I understand. Even if we “break even” it would still be worth it to me for the convenience and the fact that it is all prepaid. GL!

You're there for 4 nights, right? You're spreadsheet comes out to $722 for 4 TS and 2 QS. The DDP is $202.48 per day or $810 for all 4 days. That leaves $88 for 2 more QS, 32 snacks and 4 refillable mugs. You'll break even on the 2 QS meals and the snacks and the refillable mugs are all gravy.

I always do some math, and I do my own. I don't use the calculators. I think it makes sense to determine how your family is likely to dine, so you do spend you Milner appropriately. Honestly, for me, it is generally to see if I should purchase the DxDDP or not, because it adds up fast to include that plan. That little spreadsheet is a money saver in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter