DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Afternoon Guys,

I'm just sitting in the hotel room while everyone else is still asleep. If you followed my commentary on Facebook last night you would know we spent 8 hours in the ER of what I came to find out is the worst hospital in Montreal. With 6 seconds left in the first game last night, a kid rolled up the back of Declan's leg on a loose ball scramble and next thing we saw was him writhing in pain holding his ankle. First thought through our minds was a replay of last summer's ankle problems. When we finally got him to the car I think that all came rushing back to him as well. Tanya grabbed Google maps and directed me to the nearest hospital. I guess we should have went to the next one. Luckily after those 8 hours we were told a bad sprain and he should take 2 - 3 weeks to recover. He can walk on it a bit so he is better off than last summer.

In the end we decided the couple of days in the US probably wasn't a good idea so we decided to stay here an extra night so everyone could rest (see my earlier comment) and then head back home tomorrow. Crappy way to end the last tournament of the summer but what can you do.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Good news that it’s only a a sprain but sorry about the plans for the weekend getting trashed and Declan having to miss his final summer tournament.

Well, I come here all excited about putting down a deposit on a trip to WDW next year after many years of trying to get one figured out and y'all are here whinging about how it's not as great as it used to be and people like me will keep things going as is, so THANKS A LOT. :guilty::guilty::guilty: :crazy2:

But seriously, I'm over the moon about finally being able to take the whole family on this trip (despite being a fat guy from Northern Wisconsin going to Florida in August). Provided all goes well, next year at around this time I'll be going crazy with travel plans and loving it.

Provided all goes well. My family motto is "Murphy was an optimist." after all. :shamrock:

TL

Well, I come here all excited about putting down a deposit on a trip to WDW next year after many years of trying to get one figured out and y'all are here whinging about how it's not as great as it used to be and people like me will keep things going as is, so THANKS A LOT. :guilty::guilty::guilty: :crazy2:

But seriously, I'm over the moon about finally being able to take the whole family on this trip (despite being a fat guy from Northern Wisconsin going to Florida in August). Provided all goes well, next year at around this time I'll be going crazy with travel plans and loving it.

Provided all goes well. My family motto is "Murphy was an optimist." after all. :shamrock:

TL

That is awesome news Patrick, despite what is being said here about the state of Disney, I think you will have a fun time.

TL

Exciting news Patrick! The August heat can suck down there, but the crowds are lower because of it. We're headed down in a little over a week, so I obviously think it's worth going in August...

Any ideas on where you're going to stay, or too early?

All Star Music - We've stayed there before and liked it, and we need to do the trip on the cheap in order to make it happen.

TL

Nice. I like that place too. You'll have a blast.

Hey Paul, you planning anything for the cruise?

I really need to get on top of that. We have to book the hotel in NYC for Friday night, too. I want to do the Jost Van Dyke trip for sure, then probably some of the group activities on board that everyone wants to do. When can we start booking those adventures?

Happy Sunday. Worked my morning shift, cut the grass, and enjoyed some pool time with DW while the girls were at Holiday World. Good day.

Morning chaps, from a bit of a hungover London. We had DS's little best mate and his parents over for dinner last night. They go here at 4, and left at midnight. The bourbon took a bit of a kicking. I had to chisel the boy out of bed at 0945, which is good practice for when he's a teenager.

Was London hungover? Or, was that just a particular 007 in London?

Top O the Mornin Dads! Had a nice dinner last night with our in laws to celebrate both ladies birthdays coming up. We really like SILs mom and step dad - really good people. Low key day around here with a little yard work, hanging out on the patio and Sunday traditional Italian dinner with the inlaws. Only 3 weeks before DS heads back to school and we go back to the empty nesters mode. Enjoy your Sunday with the family boys - cheers!

Yes, it's only been 4 days, but oldest dd can drive youngest dd away from the house. That short taste of freedom is wonderful.

I am amazed on two levels... I met your wife and I can't believe she put up with you this long. Should be a Sainthood in it for her. The second is the coffee maker lasting that long. You've done well on both counts.

So, she is driving across country with the dog. I always thought i would drive a convertible out west but it never happened.

Yes, she knows she is headed for Saint hood putting up with me. She does her best to keep me in line, but we all know there is little chance of that.

Let's hope she doesn't put up with him just for the coffee.

That is one of my perks (pun intended). I do make a good cup of coffee, and I make it for her every morning.

When he’s up for a bit of humour, tell him he can have a place on mine and Norms tennis team, he seems to be more than qualified.....

He'll definitely bring thr athleticism, even if he's never picked up a racquet.

All Star Music - We've stayed there before and liked it, and we need to do the trip on the cheap in order to make it happen.
TL

Oh, you know a bunch of old men, just sitting around reminiscing and complaining about the good ole days. Get off my lawn. We stayed at All Star Music on our honeymoon and again a few years ago. Have a great trip.

TL

Don't listen to them Man; have a great time.

We used to go in August and you'll be fine, take no time to acclimatize to the humidity.

4 more sleeps till WDW, On our VIPassholder night I will be on the look out for some of the bloggers 3 in mind, I would love to be the guy at the end saying the catch phrase, but starting out with , Hi I'm Disney Commando from The Dis Dads Club:cool1::thumbsup2:dancer::jumping1:. Hoping to see at least one, I have met one in the past, my son wants to meet them to, I'm pretty sure this is not something on most peoples list off things to do:rotfl2::lmao:

Last edited:
Morning gents, from a drizzly London.
Nice break in the heat, it should be ramping up again for Cornwall on Weds.

I'm over the moon about finally being able to take the whole family on this trip
Nice one. We're just being grumpy old men. We tend to go in August, so we might be out there the same time. I really don't think the heat is that bad, it's never stopped us doing anything.
Was London hungover? Or, was that just a particular 007 in London?
My next door neighbour was a bit hungover as well. He Irish, and he was at a wake the day before. Then his mother in law came round with a ton of plants for his garden. His face as he was digging them in was a picture, as it was about 85f......I think he was sweating single malt.
That is one of my perks (pun intended).
Well played.

Have a good day fellas.

Just watched (well at least up to that segment) @cj9200. It's a shame they didn't get the $50K, but it was quite obvious PP was having a blast and in her element. Hoping she has the job of a lifetime and a blast in Hawaii. I can't imagine how proud you are and how happy she is. Congrats again to you both!

I really need to get on top of that. We have to book the hotel in NYC for Friday night, too. I want to do the Jost Van Dyke trip for sure, then probably some of the group activities on board that everyone wants to do. When can we start booking those adventures?

We are new to the Disney Cruise Line, so we cannot start booking until 9/10. If you sailed with them before, it should be sometime near the end of August for you.

Hey guys, I'm back from a week in the magical place in Florida. Not, not the Everglades, I meant Disney.

We really had a fun week. The heat and crowds you would expect in summer time were both present. I think we were able to adjust to both and still do everything we wanted to do. We had gotten fast passes for both Slinky and FoP so the huge lines for both didn't affect us. And morning rope drop is still the best strategy for visiting the parks; I don't think that will ever change. As far as Disney being better or worse than it used to be--I think it's just different because it's always changing. Some things about it are amazing experiences you can't get anywhere else, and some things are aggravating or not as good as they used to be (I will always prefer the paper FP system to the FP+ system, for example). But you can always adjust and make it work.

The cost keeps going up, so I will visit once every few years. I'm ok with that; I like variety anyway. It doesn't seem like there are many "slow" times to visit WDW anymore, but it's hard to complain about that. WDW is a business, and they've done a very good job of figuring out how to get people to visit during the traditionally slow times of the year. Good for them. As always, just expect heat and expect crowds and you'll never be disappointed.

There's construction going on everywhere. Judging from the new building going up in Epcot, that new Guardians coaster could be massive.

I do feel like Disney still tries hard to make the experience special. All of the newest features--Pandora, Toy Story Land, etc.--were really well done.

Well, I decided to go for a nice quiet drive... Here. <click me!>

Looks like a fun trip! (except for the drive across Saskatchewan)

I'll be out that way next year so I might have to pick your brain on a few spots.

Luckily after those 8 hours we were told a bad sprain and he should take 2 - 3 weeks to recover. He can walk on it a bit so he is better off than last summer.

Glad it wasn't more serious. But I'm sorry his tournament was cut short. That's a bummer.

Top O the Mornin Dads! Wishing all a good week.

TL
Good deal and enjoy the planning cycle. Don't listen to us, if it was that bad would I be making/planning 5 trips from this past February through June '19? Love the place, parks resorts and especially the people as the service can't be beat. As DVC member and stock holder I just want things to be as perfect as possible and make sure there is value for the cost.
4 more sleeps till WDW, On our VIPassholder night I will be on the look out for some of the bloggers 3 in mind, I would love to be the guy at the end saying the catch phrase, but starting out with , Hi I'm Disney Commando from The Dis Dads Club:cool1::thumbsup2:dancer::jumping1:. Hoping to see at least one, I have met one in the past, my son wants to meet them to, I'm pretty sure this is not something on most peoples list off things to do:rotfl2::lmao:
Have a great trip and may the next 4 days go by quickly and the time at DaWorld takes forever.
Hey guys, I'm back from a week in the magical place in Florida. Not, not the Everglades, I meant Disney.

We really had a fun week. The heat and crowds you would expect in summer time were both present. I think we were able to adjust to both and still do everything we wanted to do. We had gotten fast passes for both Slinky and FoP so the huge lines for both didn't affect us. And morning rope drop is still the best strategy for visiting the parks; I don't think that will ever change. As far as Disney being better or worse than it used to be--I think it's just different because it's always changing. Some things about it are amazing experiences you can't get anywhere else, and some things are aggravating or not as good as they used to be (I will always prefer the paper FP system to the FP+ system, for example). But you can always adjust and make it work.

The cost keeps going up, so I will visit once every few years. I'm ok with that; I like variety anyway. It doesn't seem like there are many "slow" times to visit WDW anymore, but it's hard to complain about that. WDW is a business, and they've done a very good job of figuring out how to get people to visit during the traditionally slow times of the year. Good for them. As always, just expect heat and expect crowds and you'll never be disappointed.

There's construction going on everywhere. Judging from the new building going up in Epcot, that new Guardians coaster could be massive.

I do feel like Disney still tries hard to make the experience special. All of the newest features--Pandora, Toy Story Land, etc.--were really well done.
Well put :thumbsup2

We are new to the Disney Cruise Line, so we cannot start booking until 9/10. If you sailed with them before, it should be sometime near the end of August for you.

We've sailed with them once, so I guess it's late August. We should al do one of those facebook group chats beforehand to talk about plans...

Welcome back. Glad it was a good trip, and agree with your assessments on things changing, and rising costs! lol

Happy Monday. So, knee tested well with Dr. He said it is about pain management now and still recommended surgery. He said he would be there if I change my mind.

Since i took a sick day, came home and cut my hair and cleaned out the dryer vent. I think it's beer thirty now.

Glad you had a great trip. Summer wasn't too bad to visit WDW. I think we like end of July better than June though. We will try in Dec for a MVMCP one year once the dds are out of school.

'Evening all...
Decent weekend spoiled by a typical Monday.
Situation normal…

Luckily after those 8 hours we were told a bad sprain and he should take 2 - 3 weeks to recover. He can walk on it a bit so he is better off than last summer.
Scary…
Good that this was not as serious as it could have been.
Bad that it happened at all.

Unfortunate that y’all had to toss out the rest of the travel plans, but may the boy heal up quick as possible.

Happy Sunday guys. Back from a couple of days at the lake after a week of travel for work. I miss anything?
Here?
Silly question…

I'm over the moon about finally being able to take the whole family on this trip (despite being a fat guy from Northern Wisconsin going to Florida in August).
As a fat guy from Northern South Carolina, I say ignore us and go have a great time.
We may winge (and maybe even with a smidgen of justification), but that don’t mean that most of us have given up on Da’ World completely. We just likely can’t enjoy the experience as often as was once possible.

So, a distinct reduction in encounters of the mosquito kind, then…

Good that y’all had a great time.
Too bad it had to end all too quickly.
(but that’s true of most great adventures)

Since i took a sick day, came home and cut my hair and cleaned out the dryer vent. I think it's beer thirty now.
It’s always Beer Thirty…
So the argument could be made that you probably worked harder then was necessary.

We've sailed with them once, so I guess it's late August. We should al do one of those facebook group chats beforehand to talk about plans...
The tastings are good events on the ships and if you have enough, I believe at least 8 folks, you can schedule a private tasting. Let me know what ship you are on and I will try to pass along our best tips, know the Dream and Fantasy the best but remember the Magic and Wonder as well - just let me know.

The tastings are good events on the ships and if you have enough, I believe at least 8 folks, you can schedule a private tasting. Let me know what ship you are on and I will try to pass along our best tips, know the Dream and Fantasy the best but remember the Magic and Wonder as well - just let me know.

Thanks Mike, it's all about the Magic! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter