• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL Little Known Secrets?

Officer pin trading on fall cruises on the Magic and Wonder. Often you can find really great pins from the Alaska and Europe cruises.

It isn't a secret, but grabbing pizza or burgers from the pool deck on the Dream and Fantasy and watching Funnel vision while you eat dinner. Ahhh, so quiet and fun. The pool decks are pretty quiet during the dinner rotations. Plus, we like the cookies and milk for room service.

Officer pin trading on fall cruises on the Magic and Wonder. Often you can find really great pins from the Alaska and Europe cruises.
Is this only on fall cruises on the Magic? We are going in January and my daughter just started her collection at Epcot last week.

Is this only on fall cruises on the Magic? We are going in January and my daughter just started her collection at Epcot last week.

pin trading should be on all cruises (unless it is suspended when there is a virus going around), however the post you are quoting is about the fact that after the ship was in Europe, it will bring back European pins that European passengers traded for. So, you might find a Disneyland Paris pin for example. The likelihood of that is fare bigger in the fall. I am sure your daughter will be pleased with the more "standard" pins to trade for in January if she just started collecting.

The treats in the case in the Cove Cafe and Vista Cafe are complimentary. You don't have to purchase a specialty coffee or drink to have some. Also, the selection changes during the day. At about 6:00 pm they take away the sweet treats and add in savory treats like cheese, crackers, olives, celery and carrot stick and some dip.

Also, the last row of the Buena Vista Theatre on the Magic and Wonder have less leg room than the other rows. Avoid sitting there if you are not a kid. I saw so many people trying to cram themselves in there and looking very uncomfortable. Trust me, the other rows have more leg room.

In Cabanas on the Magic/Wonder (soon to be Cabanas) there is a staircase in the back on the port side that leads down to Deck 8 passenger cabins (from there there is also an aft stircase that leads down a few decks). These stairs are in addition to the regular aft stairs near the elevator lobby. So, if you are on decks 7 or 8 aft it is really easy to run up to Cabanas and back down. Remember to get a hand wipe at the regular entrance though.

MJ

Last edited:
Not really secrets but worth sharing:

1. All Hands on Deck - Fruit and Cheese plate that you can order from Room Service. Hubby and I love to order one of these, pop open a bottle of wine, and enjoy during the sail away from our balcony

2. Length of Cruise Rain Forrest Pass - This is a pass that you can purchase from the Spa that is good for your entire length of the cruise and allows you to use the Rain Forest room as often as you'd like

Visiting Deck 11 (Fantasy) after dark is a completely new experience compared to daytime. My daughter's favourite (and least busy) time to ride the Aqua Duck was after the evening show!

1. All Hands on Deck - Fruit and Cheese plate that you can order from Room Service. Hubby and I love to order one of these, pop open a bottle of wine, and enjoy during the sail away from our balcony

2. Length of Cruise Rain Forrest Pass - This is a pass that you can purchase from the Spa that is good for your entire length of the cruise and allows you to use the Rain Forest room as often as you'd like

Yes to both! Now if we could only get All Hands on Deck in the Rainforest Room........

pin trading should be on all cruises (unless it is suspended when there is a virus going around), however the post you are quoting is about the fact that after the ship was in Europe, it will bring back European pins that European passengers traded for. So, you might find a Disneyland Paris pin for example. The likelihood of that is fare bigger in the fall. I am sure your daughter will be pleased with the more "standard" pins to trade for in January if she just started collecting.

Sorry for delay in my response, I was cruising!

I agree with Flossbolna, there will almost certainly be officer pin trading on your cruise. You can also pin trade with the cast members that work in the merchandise shops. I was referencing the fall cruises, because of the opportunities for different types of pins. Not only do you get pins that have been traded by guests that have been to places like Disneyland Paris, but the officers often have the pins that were sold during the European an Alaskan cruises. Once the cruises are over, those pins are no longer sold in the stores, and they end up on the officer lanyards. You might also find them later in the year, so hopefully they'll be a few when you and your daughter are cruising.

Sorry for delay in my response, I was cruising!

I agree with Flossbolna, there will almost certainly be officer pin trading on your cruise. You can also pin trade with the cast members that work in the merchandise shops. I was referencing the fall cruises, because of the opportunities for different types of pins. Not only do you get pins that have been traded by guests that have been to places like Disneyland Paris, but the officers often have the pins that were sold during the European an Alaskan cruises. Once the cruises are over, those pins are no longer sold in the stores, and they end up on the officer lanyards. You might also find them later in the year, so hopefully they'll be a few when you and your daughter are cruising.

Every store + guest services onboard each have a binder of pins. On my most recent cruise (Baltic 2015) me and another young lady frequented the stores when the were open, purely for pin trading. One evening an invitation arrived in my room from a cast member in merchandise ; inviting me to be an honorary Officer for pin trading, along with early access to the officer's pins. Very magical, and its definitely worth going to Officer Pin trading, as I've even found some limited edition New Year's Pins in June and 2-3 year old Limited Edition Pins.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it all that 'secret' but I found spending time in the clubs during the day was a great way to find peace and quiet; especially Ooh La La on the Fantasy and O'Gills on the Magic. If you go during the day both places are nearly empty and you feel you have the entire place to yourself.

Can you get the Rainforest room on the Magic? I can't find info on it.

Can you get the Rainforest room on the Magic? I can't find info on it.
Yes, you can get a Rainforest room pass on all 4 of the Disney ships. The experience between the Magic and Dream classes is VERY different but both have been a hit for my husband and I. I prefer the Dream class because it is newer, and everything functions. The Magic class has Ice to cool yourself, and is located on interior of ship, I.e. No sunlight. The Dream class has hot tubs, and plenty of sunshine.

Hey there....just thought it would be fun to see what people think are some of the coolest little known secrets about cruising on DCL. Special perks, fun surprises, etc. Can't wait to see what people say!

If you know a Cast Member who wants to travel, that's the way to go. If the ship isn't filled with about 90 days til sailing, they open it up for Cast Member rates at VERY nice discounts. The Cast Member has to book and come on board with you, so hope they like cruises, too.

Challenge the kids to find 'Hidden Mickey's'. On the Fantasy, we (adults) really enjoyed the night clubs.

And on that note, keep an eye in the shops for merchandise on sail from completed itineraries like these. When we did the WBTA in 2007, we got tons of wonderful stuff from the Med ports whose prices were slashed because they were trying to get rid of it before getting back to PC!

Also, I don't know if they still do this, but in 2007 we were given pin forms to pick out what specialty pins we wanted from the cruise and ports we were visiting, ordered them and paid for them in the shop, and then they were delivered to our room.

Also, the last row of the Buena Vista Theatre on the Magic and Wonder have less leg room than the other rows. Avoid sitting there if you are not a kid. I saw so many people trying to cram themselves in there and looking very uncomfortable. Trust me, the other rows have more leg room.

MJ

This!! I found out by accident on our second cruise. Very uncomfortable and I'm only 5'2"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter