DCL for a single mom and her 10 yr old boy?

we3travellers

Mouseketeer
I'm looking for a spectacular vacation for a boy that has had a tough year! I'm drawn to DCL, but am wondering if just the two of us would feel "awkward"? Do any of you travel as single parents or do you recall coming across any/many? I'm not looking to socialize as we are pretty private people, but I don't want to stick out in the crowd, if you know what I mean. I would also appreciate any advice on best times to book/travel to save this newly single mama a few bucks! TIA

I'm a single mom to a 12 yr old girl. We have been sailing DCL since she was 5. It is awesome, and no, you won't stick out in a crowd. There is so much to do, no one will notice. We have enjoyed sharing tables with others (and have been pretty lucky most times). You can request a table for 2 if you want. I try to cruise at the beginning of the summer season (first couple of weeks of June) as those weeks tend to be a little cheaper. Plus we tend to do inside cabins. Another time is if your spring break isn't around Easter. We have been lucky to have ours in mid-March when normal would be in April. That's another good time to cruise. DCL is a great way to unwind and relax. You can be as busy or as lazy as you want. It's great.

I wouldn't shy away from what could be a wonderful trip. I'm not a single mom, I travel with the hubby and 2 teen daughters, but we are by no means glued at the hip. I start most days having breakfast on my own in a restaurant, because teens are asleep & hubby likes to run/exercise. I then either go by the pool, massage, or to the movies, kids go to their clubs & I don't see them until dinner & hubby dislikes movies and usually sits in the pool, while I'm on a lounger. Dinner & excursions are the only family time, but we all have a wonderful time, nobody feels weird about hanging out alone & everyone gets to do what they want...win, win. Have fun & happy planning!

Not a single mom either, but echoing above PP - we most definitely do not do everything together. My eldest loves crafts and will do every craft activity possible, but her brother despises crafts... and she loves characters but no way he's doing a princess meet and greet. Anyone could see our split parent/child groupings and easily assume we're single parents. I honestly don't think anyone would look at you and your son and assume one way or the other. We don't always eat breakfast or lunch together, either. Dinner is about the only time you'd find all 4 of us consistently together.

The best time to book is "as soon as possible", really. Prices never come down. Off-season (when school is in session) is always cheaper. Sailing out of Galveston is cheaper for Bahamas/Caribbean cruises.

I'm looking for a spectacular vacation for a boy that has had a tough year! I'm drawn to DCL, but am wondering if just the two of us would feel "awkward"? Do any of you travel as single parents or do you recall coming across any/many? I'm not looking to socialize as we are pretty private people, but I don't want to stick out in the crowd, if you know what I mean. I would also appreciate any advice on best times to book/travel to save this newly single mama a few bucks! TIA
You'll be fine and DCL is a perfect crusie for you. There are loads of single parents on the cruises that we have been on. In fact, during one cruise we ran into a former classmate of my youngest son whose dad was recently divorced. It was fun for my son to hang out with his chum and I think the dad had a great time meeting up with some single moms. :banana:

I think you will have a great time!

Former single mom here...DCL was a a great way for us to travel together when she was younger. I could have "me time" and knew she was having fun in the kids club. One spring break we went for a 7 day trip and I literally saw her only at dinnertime! I was able to recharge, she was able to socialize. It was great!

I am a single mom with a 9 year old. This summer will be our 2nd cruise on DCL. My son declared our first the best vacation ever

We eat meals together (though he wanted to eat in the kids club for lunch once) and he spent s lot of time in the kids club. I'd walk the decks or read. I never left the ship without him but I'm not against doing that. We were sat with two other single parent, one kid groups at dinner (one a dad and daughter the other a grandma and granddaughter). We didn't become BFFs but even an extreme introvert like me was able to make small talk. I never felt uncomfortable (I think I would've been more uncomfortable at s table alone).

I never once felt awkward but I'm also not one to get embarrassed easily or bothered like things like that. I don't think I was ever out of place.

I'm a single mom getting ready to go on my 12th Disney Cruise. My daughter just turned 12 and we've been sailing since she was 6. It's the very best way for me to vacation. In most cases, Disney does a great job with sitting you at a table for dinner with other single parents and the kids have an opportunity to meet friends. My daughter meets friends goes into the kids clubs and leaves me almost the entire trip. :-) I used to feel sad, but now I use it as an opportunity for me to TRULY get my own vacation. I don't have to think about activities or meals and when she goes to the kids clubs, I go to the spa or get me a glass of wine and order the wine and cheese platter from room service and relax. Take the trip! You won't be disappointed.

I travel alone with my girls and we had a wonderful cruise. DCL sat us with another single mom and her two kids and they were a fantastic match for us. I loved that my girls could go to the kids club so I could have adult time in the adult only area of the deck. Perfect vacation for a single mom!

Thank you all for your words of encouragement! Pleased I can request a 2 top table for dinner and I am certainly not opposed to eating lunch alone, as long as DS is having fun elsewhere. The dilemma in choosing a vacation is where can we go that I can relax and he can have fun with kids his own age. Cruising seems to fit the bill and we could really use some Disney magic in our life.

It appears I need to change my signature. I will go and try to figure that one out.:)

You can request, but it is just that. They will not guarantee table size.

I am a single mom and have done 2 DCL cruises with my daughter so far. We have 2 more booked. On both cruises, we have been seated with two other single mothers traveling with one child about the same age as my daughter. I am not a very social person, but my daughter is. Because we were all single mothers, it was pretty easy to have conversations with each other, but the best part was for our kids. Especially on our last cruise, the 3 kids became fairly inseparable and did a ton of stuff together. I think if my daughter and I sat alone at meals, I would deprive her of this great social opportunity. Traveling together and seeing and experiencing the world together has been so much fun and I look forward to so much more of it in the future. Enjoy all the time you can with your child!

The best time to go will depend on whether you want to take your child out of school or not. If you can go during the school year, you will find less expensive cruises.

I think it would be an incredible and special vacation you both would remember! I definitely do not believe you would "stand out" in ANY WAY at all. I saw many "single" parents with kids, and I say single as in... they didn't have a spouse or any other adult with them at the time and I didn't seem to find it odd, in fact I was that person quite a few times with my own kids. (Kids club open house, movie theater, Pool/toddler splash area, etc)

You really will enjoy the time just you and him. It is such a bonding experience! Go for it!

As for best prices, opening day prices are lowest from what I hear. Inside Staterooms, "off-season". Mid-October, Early November, January/February?

Our first cruise last year was me & my 11 yr old (at the time) daughter. She had had a rough year, as well, & it was just what she/we needed. She still talks about it being the best vacation of her life & wants to go back. I thought I was just doing the trip for her & ended up also feeling like it was one the best vacations I've ever been on. It was truly a win/win. We had table mates who became fast friends, we were inseparable & they are still & will be lifelong friends. And I'm awkwardly shy. There's just something about that Disney magic! Book it. You will not regret it!

I am a single mom of a DS14. We will be taking our 5th DCL cruise this summer to Norway and Iclenad. It's a great way to travel as a single mom. None even questions if you are solo. There is so much going on and even families don't do everything together so there is no reason to ever feel awkward. We do not like dining with other so I always ask to dine at our own table at dinner and our request has always been met.

My entire family is going next april and it is mostly families with children........except for me. I'm traveling solo, no kids or anything. So i kind of understand your concern and have been a little concerned i'll stand out like a sore thumb myself.

You won't stick out at all. I'm a single mom and took my son on DCL cruises when he was 11 and 12, and will again when he is 13. Never felt a bit out of place.

Fyi, I requested a private table in advance each time but didn't automatically get it either time (you can check this once onboard). So as soon as we boarded I went to dining changes and was given a private table upon request.

My entire family is going next april and it is mostly families with children........except for me. I'm traveling solo, no kids or anything. So i kind of understand your concern and have been a little concerned i'll stand out like a sore thumb myself.
You won't stick out either. You'll have the best of both worlds. When you want to, you'll have plenty of family members to hang with when you want to, and when you want to be alone, you can do that too. My mother went with my family and my sister's family. Sometimes she was with us, sometimes with them, sometimes with just her grandchildren and sometimes by herself. She had all her options! She felt great.

I thought I'd add a single dad's perspective. I have two awesome daughters, who are now 14 and 12. We love Disney cruises and just had our 6th which was on the Fantasy Western Caribbean April 1 - 8. I think DCL cruises are great for single parents because there is so much for the kids to do and very relaxing for the parent (me!). My girls make so many new friends in the clubs (Edge and Vibe) now, I rarely see them during the day but we make a point to have lunch, dinner, and do other things together (Aqua Duck!). When had our first cruise in 2013, I wasn't sure what to expect but was hooked after just a couple of days. We have #7 planned for the June 30, 2018 Southern Caribbean!

Go for it. Enjoy the time with your son!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter