DCL Alaska - First Cruise

disney_guest

Earning My Ears
I have been on the boards for some time and getting a number of great tips but I thought I would post my specific questions to see if I can get any real world feedback. This is my first DCL cruise and any cruise for that matter. I am taking the whole family (7 of us including three kids). Wea re booked for 5/10/11 and I would REALLY appreciate any feedback on the following:

1 - Does anyone have any experience traveling around this time? Is the ship crowded? Lots of kids?
2 - Can you make use of the decks and pools with the weather. PPl have stated the pools are heated but may not be usable. Aren't there any indoor pools?
3 - Anyone have experience with the nursery. One of the kids is 2 so needs to be separated from the other ( 3 and 7). I don't plan on doing this often but would like to know what the consensus is. Is it safe? Are they well looked after?
4 - Excursions - I see a number of them and many have age limits. What if we do not want to do an excursion on one of the ports. Is everything on he ship still open or is it closed when you dock?
5 - Does anyone have any experience with specialty meals? A few of use are vegetarians. Will this be an issue? I don't want to eat pizza and pasta all week long?
6 - Finally I saw you can pre-book youth clubs and adult dinners. How do you do this? I cant find any links.
Thanks in advance.

This is Disney's firsttime to Alaska so some of the questions can not be answered but I will do the best I can with the others.

1 - Does anyone have any experience traveling around this time? Is the ship crowded? Lots of kids?
2 - Can you make use of the decks and pools with the weather. PPl have stated the pools are heated but may not be usable. Aren't there any indoor pools?
3 - Anyone have experience with the nursery. One of the kids is 2 so needs to be separated from the other ( 3 and 7). I don't plan on doing this often but would like to know what the consensus is. Is it safe? Are they well looked after?
4 - Excursions - I see a number of them and many have age limits. What if we do not want to do an excursion on one of the ports. Is everything on he ship still open or is it closed when you dock?
5 - Does anyone have any experience with specialty meals? A few of use are vegetarians. Will this be an issue? I don't want to eat pizza and pasta all week long?
6 - Finally I saw you can pre-book youth clubs and adult dinners. How do you do this? I cant find any links.

1. This is DCL's first time to Alaska but the ship has never felt crowded or overrun with kids any tiem I have been on. Being a teacher I have to go at peak times so I wouldn't worry about that if I was you.

2. There are no indoor pools but I intend on sitting in a hot tub and watching the scenery go by. On a prior Alaskan cruise the pools were being used. I am sure the kids will be in the pools no matter what.

3. You should have no worries about the services on the ship. They are top notch.

4. Everything will be open on the ship at port. I would suggest walking around the port even if you don't plan on an excursion. The port towns in Alaska are great and a lot of fun even without an excursion. Even if you walk around for an hour you will be glad you did. When the ship is in port you can get some good deals in the spa. If you plan on staying on the ship this will be your best time to do those things. The pools will be empty and you will have them to yourself.

5. Notify DCL aheadof time or at least tell your waiter of any special requests. They will take good care of you. Again, nothign to worry about at all. I woudl contact DCL first but if you can't or you forget just mention this to the wait staff the first night and you will be all set.

6. You can book these ahead of times (but the amount of time is limited). You will be able to see the links once the date you can book youe excursions is available. It will be on the same area as the excursions and spa reservations.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks in advance.

If this is your first cruise with DCL, youth clubs and adult dinners can be booked 75 days before your cruise. If you go to "My cruise plans", the links will be at the bottom of the page.

Great thanks for the detailed info. I am trying to get all the details prior so I am not running around on the ship like a madman. I throw out a couple of more questions if you don't mind -
1 - I read DCL allows BYOB. Is this true? I have never heard of another ship doing so
2 - Anyone have the Passporters guide? I read it is chock full of info. Just want to get feedback from anyone who knows
3 - We are currently in an oceanview stateroom with porthole. I was going to go for the balcony but it was about ~$800 more for each room. I heard you can ask for an upgrade once on the ship and may be able to get the bump up for a lot less. Anyone ever done this? Any tips

Thanks again

Great thanks for the detailed info. I am trying to get all the details prior so I am not running around on the ship like a madman. I throw out a couple of more questions if you don't mind -
1 - I read DCL allows BYOB. Is this true? I have never heard of another ship doing so
Yup. Just has to fit in your carry-on.

2 - Anyone have the Passporters guide? I read it is chock full of info. Just want to get feedback from anyone who knows
Sorry - nope, but IMHO, you are already in THE BEST place to find any info you need. :thumbsup2

3 - We are currently in an oceanview stateroom with porthole. I was going to go for the balcony but it was about ~$800 more for each room. I heard you can ask for an upgrade once on the ship and may be able to get the bump up for a lot less. Anyone ever done this? Any tips

Thanks again
Probably best to get to the port early (7-8:00 is early at PC, I personally dunno yet about LA) if you want to upgrade at port, particularly on "special" cruises like the Dream MV or the 1st Alaska. We did this on the Dream MV and saved a bundle. :goodvibes

ETA: I've only been on 4 cruises, so I'll not pretend to be the expert a lot of folks in this forum are. Correct away if anyone knows better... :)

Thanks again
You can try for an upgrade *at the port*, NOT once you are on the ship. And that's based on availability (if the ship is full, or people before you have taken all the upgrades, then you won't get one). If you *do* get an upgrade at the port, it is usually for substantially less than you could previously book it for.

Sayhello

Not sure when you booked your cruise but did you see this? Disney will credit you back if you paid for the kids.

Kids age 17 and under sail free when traveling with 2 full-fare Guests in the same Oceanview or Verandah stateroom on most Alaska cruises from May 3, 2011 to June 7, 2011. Government Taxes and Fees not included.

One of the following staterooms must be booked to be eligible for this offer:

Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom With Verandah
Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Navigator's Verandah
Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom With Verandah
Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom
Act now—while this terrific offer lasts! Book online at disneycruise.com, call (800) 951-3532 or contact your Travel Agent. Guests under 18 years of age must have their parent or guardian call this number. Be sure to indicate booking code "KFO" at time of booking.

Regarding the Passporter, it is an incredible source of information. But I can't say I found anything in that book that I couldn't learn here. I just like having all the information in one place that doesn't require electricity to access, so I heartily recommend it.

And if you don't have any excursions planned in port, if you stay on the ship you'll almost have the run of the ship to yourself. There will be spa discounts and lots of room in the pools. But whatever else you do, get off the ship and explore the area close to the port! In an hour or two off the ship you have a good chance of finding a lot of wonderful experiences and a few nice souveniers.

You can try for an upgrade *at the port*, NOT once you are on the ship. And that's based on availability (if the ship is full, or people before you have taken all the upgrades, then you won't get one). If you *do* get an upgrade at the port, it is usually for substantially less than you could previously book it for.

Sayhello

Can you clarify what you guys mean by at the port? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but I have never been on a cruise let alone a DCL one. I was under the impression you simply walk on the ship and "check-in" somewhat like a hotel? Is there another process. Also, the ship leaves at 4PM. What would be a sensible time to get there for an upgrade.

Regarding crowds, I have been watching this specific cruise for awhile now in hopes of obtaining a CM discount through a family member. It is NOT very full at all...all stateroom cats are available right now...and this family member has informed me that the May and June Alaskans will not be very full...you should have run of the ship!!

Can you clarify what you guys mean by at the port? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but I have never been on a cruise let alone a DCL one. I was under the impression you simply walk on the ship and "check-in" somewhat like a hotel? Is there another process. Also, the ship leaves at 4PM. What would be a sensible time to get there for an upgrade.

The port is where the boat is docked; I think what you are wanting to know- is there is basically a building that you enter to do the check in process, then you board directly onto the boat through that building..... The port usually opens up around 10am- if you need an upgrade, I would plan to be there about 10am....

The port is where the boat is docked; I think what you are wanting to know- is there is basically a building that you enter to do the check in process, then you board directly onto the boat through that building..... The port usually opens up around 10am- if you need an upgrade, I would plan to be there about 10am....

Or possibly even earlier for "special" cruises. We got in line at ~8:00 for the Maiden, but that may be overkill for a regular cruise. Once you've checked in for your existing room, head to the supervisor's desk, which is on the left side as you enter the terminal, and at the far end to ask about available upgrades. Good luck! :thumbsup2

In regards to the excursions. Alaska is very easy to do on your own. The ships dock basically right at the town centers, so lots to see and do without booking an excursion thru DCL. We did Alaska a few years ago with Royal Caribbean. Didn't book any excursions and just walked around. I researched a bit around each Port before hand. Head over to www.cruisecritic.com and look up Port info there. We had a great time.

The ship is fully accessible while you are in Port with maybe the exception of the gift shops (they are usually closed while in Port due to Customs laws - I think).

Or possibly even earlier for "special" cruises. We got in line at ~8:00 for the Maiden, but that may be overkill for a regular cruise. Once you've checked in for your existing room, head to the supervisor's desk, which is on the left side as you enter the terminal, and at the far end to ask about available upgrades. Good luck! :thumbsup2
Just remember that these times & directions are for Port Canaveral. Since the OP is sailing out of Vancouver (Alaskan cruise) the times and physical setup at the port may be different.

Not silly at all! As others have explained, you actually do your check in at a building attached to the dock (at the port), and then, once you've done all the checking in, paperwork and security stuff, you board the ship on a walkway from the building. In that respect, it's more like boarding an airplane than checking in at a hotel. If you wait until you've boarded the ship, it's probably going to be too late to get an upgrade (you'd have to exit the ship and go back to the port building (terminal), and hope that they weren't all gone at that point).

Sayhello

Just remember that these times & directions are for Port Canaveral. Since the OP is sailing out of Vancouver (Alaskan cruise) the times and physical setup at the port may be different.

Ahhhhh (Bach). Well corrected. My bad. :thumbsup2

:yay: Just booked on the May 10th cruise today with my sister and 2 nieces 11 & 13. I went on an Alaskan cruise with Holland America in 2007 and the ports there are right in town and it feels very safe and there was lots to see. At one dock the seals were swirling around eating salmon right by the boat. (was in August) so who knows?! My sons went salmon fishing. I hardly spent any $$ on this cruise at all. I may go see the bears if thats available.

Liz

Like the above.
Think about it like flying -both are called terminals. You go in the terminal to check in, wait, then board the plane. It's the same with the ship. :)

:yay: Just booked on the May 10th cruise today with my sister and 2 nieces 11 & 13. I went on an Alaskan cruise with Holland America in 2007 and the ports there are right in town and it feels very safe and there was lots to see. At one dock the seals were swirling around eating salmon right by the boat. (was in August) so who knows?! My sons went salmon fishing. I hardly spent any $$ on this cruise at all. I may go see the bears if thats available.

Liz

If you mean go see the bears while they are fishing for salmon, you are way too early in the year for that.

We've been to Alaska at the end of May (roads just barely open from the snow in Denali park) and at the end of August (almost Fall by then, colors are out). In May, we saw no bears really. In August, we were able to fly to a salmon stream to watch the bears.

Early May is REALLY early for Alaska cruises. It's "shoulder season" for other cruiselines and much cheaper than high season cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter