DCA rope drop strategy

Hi, We're going to DL this weekend, and we'll be heading to DCA on a non-early entry day. We've used the wide right in the recent past with success. I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that DCA is now using the same opening procedure as DHS - once you are through the turnstile, there is no rope drop and you are free to proceed to the attractions. Has anyone experienced this at DCA recently??
We experienced this sorta kinda in early August on an EMH morning. The non-EMH people had a rope. The EMH people (we were EMH) were held at the turnstiles and then let thru with no rope right at 7AM when EMH started.

:wizard:

Yeah I have two kids, one of which is in a stroller, so don't think I want to mess with wide right!!!

We watched people make the mad dash. It was a little crazy. We just stayed out of the way and headed for Toy Story. I have two little ones and they were in a double stroller. I wasn't getting in that crazy stampede! Although, I can do some damage to the heels with the stroller, knock a few people out of the race...haha just kidding! :)

So is there a rope drop / use of "wide right" when the park opens for EMH or only on regular opening? I'm a little confused (hopefully, just a little!).

So is there a rope drop / use of "wide right" when the park opens for EMH or only on regular opening? I'm a little confused (hopefully, just a little!).

When we've used EMH before, they have held everyone wanting to get into Carsland, at a rope, right across from the Carsland Entry point.

At a given signal, the CMs proceed to walk the waiting masses in an orderly;) manner all the way down to RSR.

As they do this, they make everyone merge into the infamous single file line(hence the need for the "wide right" technique!):sad2:

Others may have had a different experience.

When we've used EMH before, they have held everyone wanting to get into Carsland, at a rope, right across from the Carsland Entry point.

At a given signal, the CMs proceed to walk the waiting masses in an orderly;) manner all the way down to RSR.

As they do this, they make everyone merge into the infamous single file line(hence the need for the "wide right" technique!):sad2:

Others may have had a different experience.

So it sounds like we would want to use "wide right" on our EMH and non-EMH days to try RSR first thing. Good to know!

If we don't get to RSR using wide-right, are we better off just using EMH for TSMM/CS and getting FPs before open? Or using EMH on the RSR line if the ride is operating?

So it sounds like we would want to use "wide right" on our EMH and non-EMH days to try RSR first thing. Good to know!

If we don't get to RSR using wide-right, are we better off just using EMH for TSMM/CS and getting FPs before open? Or using EMH on the RSR line if the ride is operating?

It all depends on what is a priority for you(in my opinion).

Either option you stated would work, but you can get more done, if you don't waste the whole EMH standing in a line for RSR--unless that is your number one goal--then obviously, it wouldn't have been a waste for you, personally.

I think what many prefer to do, is jump in the single rider line(if that works for your group--you must be at least 7 years of age to to this), wait to ride RSR all together(can happen if you are successful with"wide right"), or go do other things, and just make sure you are back to get in the fast pass line before DCA opens to everyone else.

We've done it both ways, and been happy with the results, but we planned to do what actually happened.::yes::

It all depends on what is a priority for you(in my opinion).

Either option you stated would work, but you can get more done, if you don't waste the whole EMH standing in a line for RSR--unless that is your number one goal--then obviously, it wouldn't have been a waste for you, personally.

I think what many prefer to do, is jump in the single rider line(if that works for your group--you must be at least 7 years of age to to this), wait to ride RSR all together(can happen if you are successful with"wide right"), or go do other things, and just make sure you are back to get in the fast pass line before DCA opens to everyone else.

We've done it both ways, and been happy with the results, but we planned to do what actually happened.::yes::

Great summary and advice! Thanks for the tips! Only two days until I put it to the test.

we are planning to go to DCA on a thursday, but that day we also have MM hours for DL.

should we attempt rope drop at DCA?

Saturday September 14, DCA opened at 9am... I walked up at 1115am and got fast passes for 745 that night. No fighting crowds or rope drop.
Also did single rider Friday (daytime) at a 12 minute wait.

Saturday September 14, DCA opened at 9am... I walked up at 1115am and got fast passes for 745 that night. No fighting crowds or rope drop.
Also did single rider Friday (daytime) at a 12 minute wait.

Love hearing that. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter