DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Not a lawyer, but I think it depends on the need and use. I think you're referring to accommodations in the work place. In the work place, your employer needs to provide free accommodations up to a reasonable point. If providing an accommodation is expensive and would negative impact the company, they don't need to provide it.

As for theme parks, that isn't quite the same as work place accommodations. If someone has a mobility issue, Disney offers a paid scooter rental. They don't give it for free. I have terrible vision. Disney doesn't give me glasses to see.

If someone says they have, say, IBS and may have urgent restroom breaks, Disney will probably respond by offering something like a free Return to Line pass. That is a free accommodation they will offer. If that person then says they would really benefit from standing in shorter lines (why?), I think Disney could then respond with allowing them to purchase Genie+ in advance to make sure it doesn't sell out. That would be more of a gesture, as the accommodation would really be the free Return to Line pass.
My husband called the National MS Society today and explained the situation.

They said that if Disney does not provide accommodation, they are violating ADA.

He also got a note from his doctor. The note affirms that he needs “handicap accommodations.”

And once again: the return to line pass won’t work for him, so I’m not sure why you keep bringing it up.

Not a lawyer, but I think it depends on the need and use. I think you're referring to accommodations in the work place. In the work place, your employer needs to provide free accommodations up to a reasonable point. If providing an accommodation is expensive and would negative impact the company, they don't need to provide it.

As for theme parks, that isn't quite the same as work place accommodations. If someone has a mobility issue, Disney offers a paid scooter rental. They don't give it for free. I have terrible vision. Disney doesn't give me glasses to see.

If someone says they have, say, IBS and may have urgent restroom breaks, Disney will probably respond by offering something like a free Return to Line pass. That is a free accommodation they will offer. If that person then says they would really benefit from standing in shorter lines (why?), I think Disney could then respond with allowing them to purchase Genie+ in advance to make sure it doesn't sell out. That would be more of a gesture, as the accommodation would really be the free Return to Line pass.
You KEEP insisting that your one, narrow understanding of restroom needs is the ONLY one.

You don’t know what the right accommodation is for me, and for many other people like me. THAT is why you’re ruffling feathers and why you are feeling like you’re not able to make your point… because your point attempts to speak for a whole lot of people and gets it wrong.

What is the difference between a person with anxiety or PTSD who stuggles with a normal line over say 20 min. and a person with Autism who stuggles in a line longer than 20 min. Both have a mental issue that limits their ability to wait in a line. If subjected to a line that is too long they get overwhelmed and have to leave and regroup for an unknown amount of time. But the answer for one seems to be leave and rejoin the line when you can or buy Genie+. The answer to the other is we'll give you DAS and you cant wait outside of the line.

On the main thread I saw someone comment about video chats being back to multi hour waits bc people are going on there to ask questions. Hopefully that calms down... But honestly what did they expect? They didn't even bother formally announcing this, just quietly updating the website.

I really hate the 4 person rule and think they should leave it at 6. We travel with people outside of our immediate family, and this rule makes it impossible to do rides together. The DAS system was so good and a real benefit and I'm not happy at all with these changes. Fortunately, our son still qualifies but I feel for all those with non "developmental" disabilities that are losing out now.
A huge part of the problem with long waits in the LL is the large groups of non-disabled attaching themselves to the DAS user. I have read so many posts of people asking if they could go over the 6 limit and how when they were at Disney they argued for it and got it. I think Disney was very generous in the past and continues to be so with allowing 4 and possibly extra for people with small children who cannot be left alone. Is it the law that a business has to not only accommodate the disabled person but their entire extended parties as well? Legitimate question not sarcasm. Given that LL can only accommodate a certain number of people at a time to keep waiting times low smaller parties would allow for more people who need it to be given DAS as well instead of being excluded.

They said that if Disney does not provide accommodation, they are violating ADA.

He also got a note from his doctor. The note affirms that he needs “handicap accommodations.”

And once again: the return to line pass won’t work for him, so I’m not sure why you keep bringing it up.
Did the MS society say what kind of accommodations Disney has to provide?

I doubt it.

How can they get to that conclusion based on a phone call? I mean they are just going by what your husband described and we all agree the information Disney has put out isn't even enough for veteran DISers well versed in things to figure out much less a representative from an organization not affliated with Disney. And their word wouldn't be "law" either. Unless the National MS Society themselves takes up the cause against Disney on behalf of other MS patients these types of comments will probably end up causing more confusion than anything.

I used to be a call center employee for an insurance company, it really didn't matter if someone said "so and so told me" I couldn't break compliance (as set forth by the Department of Insurance or DMV laws or Department of Transportation all depending on the given state). I mention that because it ultimately has no bearing on this situation what someone at a non-profit organization told your husband.

On the main thread I saw someone comment about video chats being back to multi hour waits bc people are going on there to ask questions. Hopefully that calms down... But honestly what did they expect? They didn't even bother formally announcing this, just quietly updating the website.
For questions and general enquiries you just use the live chat on the website or the chat on my disney experience app.

Video call request if you are applying for DAS

If your enquiry is wanting to book something that's transactional them that will be on the telephone there's a number on the website.

That's great that a leave the line will work for you, but you need to stop generalizing it will work for everyone with bathroom issues. People have a right to be worried about that. You said this: "DAS is not the accommodation we need! If you're having a flare up, it does NOT help to wait 20 minutes in a LL. You can't go 20 minutes without access to the bathroom during a flare like that. DAS is not the proper accommodation for bathroom needs like IBS-D, Crohn's, and prostate cancer." You don't even have Crohn's so don't speak for people with it.
I don't have "bathroom issues" but absolutely agree with you! In my case and challenges with T1 diabetes, the leave-the-line will not work for me. This poster needs to stop with the repeated leave-the-line will fix all the non-physical disabilities with the only solution of "buy G+", ignoring the fact over and over that this paid service does not accommodate that, which has been state numerous time, which DAS currently does.

Disney's DAS registration page says:

DAS registration maximum party size is the registered DAS Guest and up to 3 additional party members, for a total of 4 people.

I keep seeing people mention immediate family but I haven't been able to find it on Disney's page anywhere.
I think there has to be some kind of exception for at least minor children, otherwise many families are going to be split up into the regular line and DAS line.

@Amydisneyfan, I don't think being "declined" means you will be banned. Disney does have a statement about folks who are found to be caught lying, though.

View attachment 850376

Requesting a video call to see if you qualify isn't the same as lying to cheat the system. For example, if someone with a mobility issue calls to ask if they qualify, they might get turned down but I don't think they'd be banned for life for asking. Especially since they may or may not know.

Someone calling and pretending to have Autism or some other disability on the other hand..
Thank you for your help

Other than multiple time earlier today, the comment I was responding to about not making people pay for accommodations.
I never said they had to provide it. I said they had to accommodate people with qualifying disabilities and that accommodation might include a cooling vest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter