DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

My family needs the moving walkway at Haunted Mansion to come to a total stop for loading and unloading. We've done this for many years.
That stop can only be made on one specific ride car. If multiple people need it stopped, they normally 'bunch' hose guests so it's only stopped once per cycle.
Other slows or stops would generally be people who boarded or unloaded and had an unexpected issue.
If that is the case, then I would blame the desperate need for more maintenance. When we last visited I don't think I'd ever seen the rides go down as often as they did, and it was very often. That backs things up substantially across the whole park because now people are going to ride other things when they see that it's down, not to mention the people stuck on the ride and in the queue.

Blue light is also for people who arrive too early, too late, or don't have LL to start with.
Yep was going to say the same thing. Not only is the person watching invasive they are collecting incorrect data. We’ve had DAS one time in 2 parks over lots of trips. We got blue lighted many times before ever getting DAS-typically if we were a tad bit early.

I just applied on 4/21 for a trip 5/21+. It is just my son and myself as well. He has Crohns and there was no mention at all of rider swap or bathroom pass etc. I will be in the park on 5/22 and plan to get some details about how those would work for our future trips
That's great! I can't see my son being comfortable just hanging out in these lines alone or vice versa having him sit alone while I wait in line if he was the one who needed DAS. That option just really doesn't work for groups of two especially if one of those two are a kiddo.

Those people wouldn't have been allowed to get into the line thought, would they?
possibly - before my need for DAS I often had the CM just switch blue to green because it was so close...

But as stated before, whatever someone just watching for a blue Mickey reports, it's still only their own count at a specific time and place. It would be very interesting to know what the actual Disney numbers are - but I truly doubt that will ever happen..

Last edited:

My family needs the moving walkway at Haunted Mansion to come to a total stop for loading and unloading. We've done this for many years.
That stop can only be made on one specific ride car. If multiple people need it stopped, they normally 'bunch' hose guests so it's only stopped once per cycle.
Other slows or stops would generally be people who boarded or unloaded and had an unexpected issue.

Agree - they only stop the cars on HM at the "handicap cars". At Disneyland, it is cars 130, 131, 1,and 2. We have waited a long time for those to come back around many times. On those cars, the side is a little more open on the side to make it easier to transfer someone into and out of the car. According to my notes, it is around car 160 that it stops at WDW. If it stops other than those times, I agree it is probably someone who had an issue when boarding.

Disease = diagnosis. To my knowledge, diagnosis is still not a criteria in determining accommodations -- DAS or otherwise. It is going to come down to the discussion about one's needs as they relate to waiting in a standard queue environment. There should be no need to mention diagnosis, so rare or common really doesn't matter. And I say that as a parent of a child who was diagnosed with a rare disease at age 2. Her diagnosis doesn't matter; what is important to the Accessibility team is what are her needs in the queue.
please see my clarification above! The concern is that criteria Disney might consider should not include, focus, or reference a list of diagnoses. Even starting down a path of "developmental conditions such as austim" may be too constraining.

I have also found that many parents, if you approach it the right way, will address and redirect their children.

• Was standing in line one time and had a kid keep poking me in the rear with his finger. He had a sensory disorder at minimum, going by the ear coverings. I turned to his mom, looked her dead in the eye and said "ma'am, I know he does not mean anything by it, but could you please assist your boy to stop poking me in the rear? He may not know, but that is very personal and making me uncomfortable." She apologized and the rest of wait (maybe 15 minutes) was pleasant.
  • Was waiting for the Frozen attraction (you know how long that could be) and a mom and her son were behind us. He kept bumping into us, full body, walking in front of us and back to his mom, trying to squeeze between us and the handrail, etc. It was fine for the first 5 minutes, until it wasn't. I am guessing he had ADHD, but maybe he was just excited and mom simply did not care to control him. The resolution was simple. They are 2 people. I was a little catty I suppose, but I looked at the mom with a smile and said "you guy are more excited to ride it than we are, go ahead and go in front of us". Resolved! He stopped running into us, he became somebody else's concern and we enjoyed the next half hour or so in line.
It is okay to let people go in front of you if it makes your wait more enjoyable. A few people are not going to really slow your wait time.

It is okay to ask a CM to load somebody before you or in a different direction.
This has always been my solution to the people who climb up on you like this in line. It's so much easier to let them go ahead (and be someone else's problem!). The poking thing did warrant a comment though! Mom should have done something about that sooner.

At this point, I honestly am not sure if this is actually what I read, or what I’ve extrapolated - perhaps mistakenly - from what I’ve read, so please correct me if it’s wrong… my understanding was that the LT data was conducted by watching tap-ins at HM, with the assumption that a blue light = DAS user, and then those who immediately follow the DAS user are their party.

I haven’t ever paid attention to the color of other people’s tap-ins, so despite my frequent park visits, I’ve not got even anecdotal data on that for comparison. I can say that HM is one of very few attractions at which I’ve ever seen a LL backup, so I understand using it as an example… but at the same time is it a fair comparison with the dozens of other attractions at which the LL rarely if ever back up? This feels like math and I’m not math-y. :rotfl:

One other thing I keep thinking about is perception of wait time and when does a LL wait end. Using HM as the example again, I’ve sometimes happened to arrive at the LL right behind multiple other parties and it takes a few minutes for them all to get tapped and into the actual queue: I don’t consider that part of my wait time. Once I’ve tapped in, I consider the LL wait time to be the walk from tapstiles to the point where LL merges with Standby - where we all congregate as a mass in the courtyard before the entry doors. Any additional waiting in that courtyard, in the stretching room, in the indoor portion of the queue, I do not consider part of the LL wait time, though it is part of my total amount of time waiting to board the ride. That distinction, depending on the attraction, can be a difference between a 5-min wait or a 20-min wait. I’d like to have a better understanding of what these reports of rampant 30+ minute waits for LL users are based on, because while a 30+ minute wait could be problematic for a DAS user in general, if only 5 mins of that was in the actual LL lane, the DAS/LL isn’t the problem. Maybe it’s a problem in that if most of that HM courtyard is full of DAS/LL users, it’s causing longer waits in Standby, but reducing the number of DAS parties entering via LL isn’t going to change how long the wait is from merge point to ride boarding for everyone: that’s still going to be filled to capacity on a busy day, as are the stretching rooms and indoor queue. ETA: I mean to mention, too, that I frequently submit wait time data to the TP app and it specifically wants users to wait to hit Submit until they are *about to board*, so their data is including the LL AND
Yeah, I remember Len saying on the podcast that they (Touring Plans) had people (their data collectors) watching and counting people tapping in. I don’t know how y’all feel about that, but I find it feels like an invasion of privacy, I know anyone can see the tap light, but whether I’m using DAS or G+ or whatever is between me and Disney and a third party company not affiliated with Disney shouldn’t be allowed to collect that kind of data from guests.

Yeah, I remember Len saying on the podcast that they (Touring Plans) had people (their data collectors) watching and counting people tapping in. I don’t know how y’all feel about that, but I find it feels like an invasion of privacy, I know anyone can see the tap light, but whether I’m using DAS or G+ or whatever is between me and Disney and a third party company not affiliated with Disney shouldn’t be allowed to collect that kind of data from guests.
Not without their permission anyway! It is private property at the end of the day, and not public.

Registration Experience

I ended up registering in park at a blue umbrella today when the sun/heat started preventing me from joining lines. My first time ever registering (disability is fairly new) and party of two. I explained my need briefly and the CM approved. I was surprised she didn’t ask questions. She explained it’s good for 30 days, said nothing about the upcoming 10 minute wait, and reviewed the program is changing and that just because I was approved today doesn’t mean I will be in the future. She said in the future video registration at home would be required and didn’t mention the video service in the park. She also said when the changes happen they won’t be able to adjust who is included in the DAS party.

A walking boot should not be used for long amounts of walking. I broke my foot and was in one for 7 months because it was a difficult break. It causes improper alignment for the body which can damage a person's arch, femur, tibia, shoulders and hips. It is almost impossible to get proper alignment from a shoe + a boot. The back and hip pain associated with it can be excruciating after an hour or more of walking. I am fit and active. I sat more than I ever have in my life because of how it affected the rest of my body. That was suggested by the Podiatric Surgeon to avoid further damage that would require physical therapy or surgery. You can use a knee scooter, but that is only a short-term fix as well. It does damage to the knees and hip. Plus, if you get bumped from behind....OUCH!
Thank you for sharing. I apologize if it came off as if I didn’t understand that walking in one would cause pain when it’s more than average daily use of the foot. I had additional posts that went into more detail but they were removed to clean up the thread since I quoted the person in them. I understand Disney is an extreme situation and not what was in mind with daily walking use with the boot.

However, when it comes to mobility issues related to walking/standing (I’m not speaking to disabilities where there are additional challenges) I think even if we remove queues from the situation, simply walking around the park for an entire day would cause issue. I don’t think a doctor would recommend going to Disney without a mobility device in this situation as it would be way too much for the injury.

At the end of the day, Disney recommends a mobility device as an accommodation for not being able to stand in queues. You can certainly explain other difficulties you have but if you simply can’t stand for that long, they’ll remind you that you have the option of a mobility device so you can sit in the queue (or rotate standing/sitting).

I want EVERYONE to have the best Disney day possible whether they’re able bodied, temporarily disabled, or permanently disabled. But it does hurt that people expect a certain type of accommodation (DAS) to make the parks easier when there are people that need that specific accommodation (DAS) to make the parks possible. If a mobility device makes it possible for someone that needs to avoid prolonged standing to wait in a queue, that resolves the challenge of the queue for that person.

The thing is, even if a large number of people are using DAS, it does not necessarily follow that a significant percentage of those people don't have a legitimate need for it.

As I mentioned upthread, Disney parks are a popular destination for families of people with disabilities. And that's before you even factor in situational disabilities, for those people who don't really need much assistance or accommodation in their everyday lives at home (which they can more or less tailor around their own needs and difficulties) but do need extra help due to the circumstances of a Park day. It would not surprise me in the least if the ratio of disabled to able-bodied people was higher inside the parks than among the general population.

We were told DAS was going to fix all the "rampant abuse" they assured us was going on with GAC (with no hard data to back up that claim), and supposedly a few years down the road we're in the exact same position and nothing was fixed after all? I don't like to be cynical, I really don't, but it just seems like an awfully big coincidence that DAS has suddenly become this huge problem right after they saw how much money they could make charging for G+/LL. Nobody ever went broke by convincing the general public that their worst prejudices about those awful "other" people were true.

Last edited:
Registration Experience

She also said when the changes happen they won’t be able to adjust who is included in the DAS party.
So she meant May 1 ,it was going to be you and spouse. Two weeks before trip, 2 grown kids can make trip after all, but can’t be added?

The thing is, even if a large number of people are using DAS, it does not necessarily follow that a significant percentage of those people don't have a legitimate need for it.

As I mentioned upthread, Disney parks are a popular destination for families of people with disabilities. And that's before you even factor in situational disabilities, for those people who don't really need much assistance or accommodation in their everyday lives at home (which they can more or less tailor around their own needs and difficulties) but do need extra help due to the circumstances of a Park day. It would not surprise me in the least if the ratio of disabled to able-bodied people was higher inside the parks than among the general population.

We were told DAS was going to fix all the "rampant abuse" they assured us was going on with GAC (with no nard data to back up that claim), and supposedly a few years down the road we're in the exact same position and nothing was fixed after all? I don't like to be cynical, I really don't, but it just seems like an awfully big coincidence that DAS has suddenly become this huge problem right after they saw how much money they could make charging for G+/LL. Nobody ever went broke by convincing the general public that their worst prejudices about those awful "other" people were true.

Absolutely! Make people blame each other instead of Disney, while they jack up the price of G+/LL.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter