Danube Holiday River Cruise with photos and Prauge Add on -Complete!

I liked the blue ones but I thought the red ones were pretty good as well :), i brought the red ones back for gifts and everyone loved them.

You will LOVE LOVE LOVE Prague :)

Tonia-I totally agree about the Rhine activities, which is why if all goes well we'll be there next Christmas. Once I acclimate to the weather, I enjoy being a little chilly during the holidays (apparently it's been in the 70s at home).

@carpenta- we actually did Tauck Bridges for Italy last Christmas. Since I prefer to travel at the holidays I have to be a little flexible about the tour operators. Both have been good experiences, although I'd love to do ABD Viva Italia for the holidays...you know for "research." :)

@Skatetigger-looking forward to trying out both chocolate options, and I am so excited about Prague (leaving in about 20 minutes) :)

I hope you had a great time in Czesky Krumlov!! Looking forward to hearing your report about Prague.

I kind of have to agree with you about the ABD vs AMAWaterways rivercruise. The big difference would be the demographics of the people on the cruise, and the selection of excursions (since I think ABD's excursions probably skew a little bit younger/more active, too). I *loved* my river cruise vacation. It was *WONDERFUL*. And I adored the Adventure Guides. But for the price paid, I'd rather do a land ABD, and get to know my fellow travelers better, get to know and spend more time with the Guides, etc. If I take another river cruise, it will probably be directly with AMAWaterways.

I also did laundry on the ship. It was inexpensive, and fabulous. Since I went in July, several of the days were hot & sticky, and my clothes ended up stinky (plus I had one shirt that got ink on it). They were quick and efficient (the shirt with ink on it was back to me in around 6 hours, sans ink!) I did it as I went, and it was a nice thing to have.

Thanks for the report! If you need any help with posting photos, let me know!

Sayhello

Thanks for the trip report! I enjoyed reading it. Prague was one of my favorites cities. I hope you enjoy your time there.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post during your vacation! I really enjoyed reading the report. It sounds like you guys had a a great time. and hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

Well, we're home and had a wonderful time on the Prague add on. One warning for those who have not ridden from Passau to Cesky Krumlov--the road is very wind-y and I got pretty queasy. Fortunately we had a lot of walking in the fresh air and that helped a lot! We went on hour long tour of the charming little city, then had about 2 hours on our own. DH and I went to a little strudel cafe attached to a hotel and it was very inexpensive and good. We then wandered around a bit and shopped for gingerbread and a something featuring Krtec the Czech cartoon mole character who is/was a beloved cartoon during the Iron Curtain days. We were able to watch a couple of them on the bus ride over, and both Stephanie and Kat spoke about their childhoods in that time period-so very interesting!

Comfort stop on the way to Cesky Krumlov

IMG_1528_zps9oteq6ly.jpg

Photo down the lane...

IMG_1538_zpsugl9fp7p.jpg

Sun!!

IMG_1542_zpsxtybu4gl.jpg

After we left Cesky Krumlov, we were on the bus for a couple of hours. The guides played Tangled and I must've either slept or they skipped 2/3 of the movie :) We were scheduled to have a comfort stop but the fog was so thick the bus driver missed the turn off. We got checked into the Prague Hilton (very large and busy). It was okay...functional but I would not put it on my "must return" list. I think I had believed we were going to the Marriott so the change threw me off a bit (not a bad thing, just expecting my usual Marriott). We walked to the Sarah Barnhart restaurant and the meal was nice. We had ordered ahead of time so the service was good. A relaxing meal with a wonderful lemon tart (mentioned by @mare123) that I'd been anticipating. We sat near the couple celebrating their 49th anniversary and they received a little cake that they shared with the table. It was excellent--so try to sit near someone celebrating ;)

The next day was our full day in Prague, with about a 3 1/2 hour walking tour. Our local guide was very good and I enjoyed it until the point where I was so cold nothing was pleasant. After watching the noon show of the astronomical clock, DH and I headed back to the hotel and called it a day...we skipped the river cruise and closing dinner. I knew we were both too cold for hanging out on the river and having read many trip reports (thanks, everyone but especially @mare123) I knew the final dinner would not be worth the lost sleep for me. So early to bed, up at 4:45 and home safely even with a delay in Prague (fog, of course fog...).

Cute bows on the way to the castle

IMG_2407_zpsfuchiju0.jpg

Christmas trees in St Vitus's Cathedral

IMG_1557_zpslccgmfmz.jpg

Overlooking Prague from the castle...summer photos will have prettier vines in the vineyard I hope

IMG_1560_zpsvcl98lzr.jpg

Locks near little Venice area...my friend asked me if I saw hers...mmm, didn't know it was there but maybe???

IMG_1567_zpsx7yvw1ky.jpg

Thanks again for reading! I summarized the cruise earlier but think of the entire time, Chesky Krumlov and Prague were my favorites. I wish I had been a little warmer for Prague, but I'm not too worried since it's on the approved Return List for DH. I did think the add on was worth it for the two of us and if you're on the fence, hope this helped a bit (just bring your phenergan/dramamine/bonine if you're prone to motion sickness for the drive)!

Now off to tackle laundry...
Fini!
Shay

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter