• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. - Corey Click Here

Dad alone with 2 young kids

Disdad35

Earning My Ears
Thinking of going alone with an almost 5 year old and an 18 month old - is this crazy or can it be done ? Any of the rides that 5 year old will go on, I can just hold onto 18 month old right ?

Anyone else been with 2 or more young kids and only 1 parent ?

Advice, suggestions ?

Thanks

Disdad35

There are rides like it's a small world where you can go with both kids. You can also go to the shows and parades.

if what you are asking is, will the 18month old be allowed on all the rides the 5 year old can ride, then I think for the most part, yes.

The 5 year old may well be tall enough for Splash Mountain, but I wouldn't tell him and he'll never know! The 18 month old can ride 90% of the rides that your 5 year old will ride anyway, so if you don't make a big deal out of the few that you can't all do together then you should have a great trip.

I'm not sure about Goofy's Barnstormer either - I don't think it has a height restriction, but I'm not sure if an 18month old would enjoy it - other than that the 3 of you should have a great time. I would go, and enjoy yourselves.

Bev

Originally posted by BevS97
I'm not sure about Goofy's Barnstormer either - I don't think it has a height restriction, but I'm not sure if an 18month old would enjoy it - other than that the 3 of you should have a great time. I would go, and enjoy yourselves.

Bev

On Goofy's you have to be at least 36" tall to ride. :D

Your 18 mo old won't be able to go on anything with a height requirement. As long as your son knows this ahead of time, you shouldn't have any problems.

Goofy's Barnstromer is very mild and as long as he is willing, he could ride that by himself. You can stand in line with him, get him in his seat and then wait at the exit for him (not all the way at the end of the exit walkway - just at the beginning next to the CM where he could see you as soon as he got off.)

Most of the rides at the MK would be fun for both kids and your son will not get bored with riding them.

Go and have a great time. You will make many wonderful memories to look back on later.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Back in Feb of this year, I took my three kids( ds-7,dd-6,dd-3) by myself to MK. I had absolutely no problem being there by myself with them. At the TTC I got help with my stroller while trying to make sure I had all of the kids. So there are always kind people to help you. As for the rides, I had no problem-we just stayed away from BTMR and Space and Splash Mountain b/c the 3 yr old wouldn't like them. The kids had a great time. We were there from the time MK opened until after it closed! They were very worn out. The older kids wished they had a stroller to ride in. So I would advise taking a double stroller if you have one or renting one when you get in the park. The older child will thank you. I say go ahead and take them if you can. It will be something very special for you to remember!! Good luck!!!

There are a lot of rides that you all will be able to go on together. I have to disagree with one of the posts. I do not believe the Goofy roller coaster is mild. I would not put my 5 year old on it by himself until he has rode it a few times with me and then he decides he wants to ride it by himself. I know all children are different, but from what I read on here, many feel the same as I do. It's your call, but I just wanted to warn you that it's not that mild of a ride for a 5 year old.

Just an echo of what jessiesue said. The barnstromer is a good first roller coaster, but it's not that mild and i would not want a almost 5 year on it by himself at least not the first time he has ridden it. I don't think WDW would allow this any way as you have to be 7 to ride alone. Not a big deal at all with everything there is to do there.Just don't mention it at all to him.
Just a reminder not to limit yourself to just MK, there are things at every park that they will love. There are lots of mild family rides at Epcot as well as other sights and shows they will love!

I would stay onsite, remind yourself that this will to a totaly kid geared trip, and then go have a ball.

Jordan's mom

Let us know how you make out.

My best advice is it can definetely be done. You might look into childcare for the young one for a couple of hours for one on one time with the 18 month old.

It's better to regret something you have done, then something you have not done. I've never regreted bringing my kids to wdw. Just take a slow pace and you'll be fine.

Joe

I suggest taking the kids on a big outing at home while you are the lone adult. Make it something a little complicated. That should be a good test. I took 5 kids by myself when my youngest was 4 months old. We did great. You just really have to know your kids to know if it will work for you. Good luck!

You might to check out the Unofficial Guide to Disney World or the Unofficial Guide to Disney World With Kids. It details each ride with height requirements, and even puts a "scare factor" with them, by age group.

Other random thoughts:
I would not put DD on Barnstormer alone had she not ridden it before.
You can hold the baby on Tomorrowland Speedway, but there is a height requirement for driving, so you'd have to hold the baby and drive.
There are a lot of shows at Disney Studios that your son would likely enjoy.
There is plenty to do at Animal Kingdom that would would be entertaining for all of you.
AKL has lots of activities throughout the day for guests -- like story telling and games -- you could do some of that

I'd check out the books, though...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter