Currently, Mears or Sunshine Flyer? Any recent experiences?

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
Does Mears have large busses? How do drop offs go at resorts? Do they play any Disney theming, cartoons, videos, etc? What about Sunshine flyer? Same questions. For both, do you get your own luggage and is it then loaded onto the bus? Unlike Magical express where they got it for you and delivered to your resort? Where do you board each in relation to where Magical express was?

Used both last month.
MCO to Pop: Sunshine Flyer
Picked up luggage, and went to the check in desk on level 1. Waited for our hotel to get called, and then our luggage was loaded onto the bus. Cartoons were playing (non Disney), and train themed trivia would appear on the screens. Bus driver also asked us some Disney trivia questions. First dropped off guests at All Star Movies, then went to Pop.

Pop to MCO: Mears
Pick up was where the magical express used to pick up from. Driver loaded luggage into the bus. No cartoons playing, but the radio was on. Dropped off one passenger at Terminal C before the rest of us were dropped at Terminal B

Used Mears in December and two weeks ago, no issues whatsoever, one was a pickup at the resort back to the airport in the wee hours of the morning, the other was normal times of day.

I had the big busses both trips, my niece who came in a day after I did last month had one of the smaller vans that only stopped at one other resort, I assume because they didn't have a lot of passengers mid morning?

Do you know which one Southwest Airlines would be closer to?
Once I started using Southwest for my Disney trips, I switched to Uber. It's just too darn far to get to Mears or Sunshine Flyer. And using Uber for DH and myself has never cost more than $41 + tip each way. Although that's more than Mears, it's worth a little extra to us, since Uber picks us up right outside baggage claim.

Once I started using Southwest for my Disney trips, I switched to Uber. It's just too darn far to get to Mears or Sunshine Flyer. And using Uber for DH and myself has never cost more than $41 + tip each way. Although that's more than Mears, it's worth a little extra to us, since Uber picks us up right outside baggage claim.
I may be old school but Ive never used Uber and really cant get into the concept. But I am sure that definitely works out better.

I can’t decide as well. We have party of 6, need to get two car seats, but can’t use car seat if 48lbs. My niece is 48 lbs, do they have a booster? Are we better taking sunshine instead of two Ubers?

We used Mears last June. Many stops prior to our resort (BLT), but basically same as DME. Our return driver never showed up even though the app was showing he was on his way. They finally sent us a cab. Very frustrating but I guess that could happen with any service.

Sunshine Flyer is having a sale this weekend, with all trips through 5/31 being $9.96. Promo code LUCKY17. We are booked with Mears for $100.80, but I just checked with SF and it's only $64.44. We used Mears last year and it was fine, but I think we'll cancel and give Sunshine Flyer a try this time.

ETA: I did switch our reservations, but now I'm reading really bad reviews about SF so I'm second guessing myself.

Last edited:
Sunshine Flyer is having a sale this weekend, with all trips through 5/31 being $9.96. Promo code LUCKY17. We are booked with Mears for $100.80, but I just checked with SF and it's only $64.44. We used Mears last year and it was fine, but I think we'll cancel and give Sunshine Flyer a try this time.

ETA: I did switch our reservations, but now I'm reading really bad reviews about SF so I'm second guessing myself.
We have SF twice, never an issue. Matter of fact our last return trip to the airport was at 4am and we received a text from them that it would be a van instead of a bus since there was only ourselves and one other person leaving at that time. And the text said that their logo would be on the van.

I’ve always used Mears, most recently a couple weeks ago, no complaints. However, they’ve just raised their price so I’d take a closer look at SF next time.

We have SF twice, never an issue. Matter of fact our last return trip to the airport was at 4am and we received a text from them that it would be a van instead of a bus since there was only ourselves and one other person leaving at that time. And the text said that their logo would be on the van.
That's good to hear! How long did you have to wait for a bus from the airport to your resort? When we took Mears last year, there was a bus already there and then we sat on the bus for about 10 minutes before we departed.

Does Sunshine Flyer (either bus or van) tend to stop at a number of disney hotels and if so, are they hotels that are closer together)? Or could they go all around Disney property? Trying to get a sense of potentially how long it would take to actually get to our hotel (Poly)?

We used Sunshine Flyer for our quick Tron AP preview trip a couple of weeks ago.

Our flight got in at about 10pm and we only had carry-ons so went straight to the Sunshine Flyer check-in desk. After checking in, we had enough time for a quick bathroom break and then got on the bus. We left shortly after and made stops at Pop, AoA and ASM before our stop at POFQ. We were at the hotel by 11:30pm.

On the way back to the airport, the bus was about 5 mins early from the pickup time. We had 1 stop at OKW and then headed to the airport. We were at the airport with 2-1/2 hours to spare before our flight.

We had a great experience and it felt just like DME used to. We will likely use them again for future trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter