Current Youth Activities CM -- Ask me anything!

Your right not does it say they have to go up maybe my 12 and 13 can go up. I'll sit on the boat watching and freaking out

In order to go on the boat with them, you would need to book the excursion for yourself as well.

We will be on the Fantasy soon and my daughter who is 12.5 wants to do parasailing in Castaway. She is 5'6 and looks 15 unfortunately not 12... any way, the point is she doesn't meet the 13 cutoff but will they make an exception and let her parasail without us? In our group there are 6 teenagers that want to parasail and she wants to do it with them.
Are any of the other teens over 18. She can go tandem with someone and you pay to sit and watch on the boat. When are you going

In order to go on the boat with them, you would need to book the excursion for yourself as well.

Ok ill book it I guess. It's not the money ( well it is ) but I'm not going all that was and have her miss. It will work out. :0) thanks for your help

I know several variations of this question have been asked, and to some degree cannot be answered until we get on our cruise. I want to know the best way to handle the situation to achieve the best outcome. I have 2 daughters, DD12 and DD10. My DD10 will be 10 1/2 when get on our next cruise, the March 8th eastern on the Fantasy. Last October we cruised the Wonder. My DD10 is very tall for her age (5'3") and is in the gifted program at school so academically she is not like most her age and the fact she is so tall and has an older sister reinforces this. She was initially not invited to the edge on our October cruise because she did not turn 10 until Nov. 5th. By the 2nd day of the cruise she was miserable and refused to go to the lab or club and there were just not enough fun activities during open house at the edge. She wanted to do the program activities. After discussing with the staff and them talking with the manager she was invited to join all edge activities for remainder of the cruise. The counselors agreed she is much more mature than many of the kids that meet the age rules. The counselors knew we had a March cruise booked on the Fantasy and told my daughter she would have no problem going to the edge and that I just had to fill out a form on our first day. I have talked with her that this cruise may be different despite what she was told before. I am very afraid this will be a disaster if we get on this cruise and she is not allowed to go to the edge with her sister. This cruise costs my family over $10000 and I don't want to spend the week try to convince my 10 1/2 year old how much fun she can have by herself in the club/lab or during open house when none of the fun programming is done. How do I best handle this situation? The reason we book Disney instead of other cruises (which would cost much less) is the kids programming that allows them to have some fun time on their own and my husband and I some grown up time. We are willing to pay a premium for that benefit. Thanks so much for any advice on this matter!:listen:

Hello! Thanks for all the great info!! My question is regarding our 5 year old dd from our 6/12 fantasy cruise. All 3 of my girls were in the play area together with their 2 cousins and my 4 year old at that time wanted to leave. She is beyond shy and my older children asked the cm to call us to leave and they said the 4 year old needed to tell her that she wanted to leave. My shy daughter DOES NOT talk to strangers at all. They did not call me. When I arrived we had 3 children crying all saying they would not return!! We let it go and now I regret it bc we are going again on the fantasy march 29 and my children refuse to go to the kids group bc of this situation. We bought them walkie talkies to help with communication, but wondering if this is common for them not to contact parents. We were very disappointed with the whole situation but LOVED the cruise. Suggestions? Thank you!!! :hippie:

Hello! Thanks for all the great info!! My question is regarding our 5 year old dd from our 6/12 fantasy cruise. All 3 of my girls were in the play area together with their 2 cousins and my 4 year old at that time wanted to leave. She is beyond shy and my older children asked the cm to call us to leave and they said the 4 year old needed to tell her that she wanted to leave. My shy daughter DOES NOT talk to strangers at all. They did not call me. When I arrived we had 3 children crying all saying they would not return!! We let it go and now I regret it bc we are going again on the fantasy march 29 and my children refuse to go to the kids group bc of this situation. We bought them walkie talkies to help with communication, but wondering if this is common for them not to contact parents. We were very disappointed with the whole situation but LOVED the cruise. Suggestions? Thank you!!! :hippie:

Well, I'd probably apologize to the kids and explain that you are going to clarify with the CMs onboard the exact procedures in case there is a next time. But (here comes mama bear), I'd probably have said something to the CMs at the time.

Just wanted to add how much I appreciate everyone answering questions when I can't quite get to them! It means a lot. :thumbsup2 Also saves my poor fingers from typing so much after the past 6 hours at the front desk...typing. Haha!

Hi CMoftheseas. I will echo my thanks... Lots of great info here!

Advice/personal opinion:

Sailing with 3 boys. My ds will be turning 8 on the cruise. I know we could give him self check out. What's your opinion? He will have his 2 younger cousins, but wondered if I told him where we are on the ship and he could come get is to check the other 2 out if they wanted might be an option. I'm really just worried about an 8 year old roaming the boat (same kid climbed UP the fire pole at the fire station

Oh gosh, I'm sorry this happened. On my ship nonetheless!
By "call" do you mean actual phone call, or do you mean Wavephone message. You probably know that it isn't practice to actually call unless parents fail to respond to the initial messages or if it's an emergency situation. But if they didn't even bother to send any messages, that's no good at all!

What I can tell you is that CMs tend to fall into one of two camps on board with regard to contacting parents, depending on which manager they first trained and started under.

One is - if any child or their siblings indicated they would like to leave, you immediately send a message. ("________ would like to be picked up from the Oceaneer Club/Lab") Even if they don't really feel like leaving but just miss their parents, a message will at least let them know and is sent off immediately, whether or not they've been in the space for a short time.

The other camp is - the child must indicate themselves that they wish to leave at that moment. If they haven't spent much time in the space they are encouraged to participate in the activities some more. When they come back again and say they would like to leave, the adults are sent a message.

I'm personally of the former opinion. :confused3 Where some counselors/managers may be of the latter is when they don't want to "inconvenience or upset" guests by sending them too many messages requesting a child be picked up, which I think is just silly to be honest, but at the same time we still get plenty of guests who come into the spaces VERY angry that we keep messaging them to pick up their child when they don't wish to see them at the time, or that their child has barely been in there for 10 minutes. :( Poor kids.

When you register to pick up their Oceaneer bands, make sure that the counselor puts down in their notes - "adults MUST always be contacted immediately if any of the children wish to leave , no exceptions". That way, the counselors will be forced to make sure they do this and message you right away!:thumbsup2

Sorry it happened, I wish you knew the names of the CMs/managers at the time to make sure that practice doesn't continue!

My son is 12 and we'll be going on our first cruise this March on the Wonder for 5 nights. What sort of activities does the Edge offer for tween boys? Are there different activities during the day versus the evening? The ages are 11-14 for the Edge correct? We are second seating for dining, does that make a difference with regard to activities and participation? :thanks:

My son is 12 and we'll be going on our first cruise this March on the Wonder for 5 nights. What sort of activities does the Edge offer for tween boys? Are there different activities during the day versus the evening? The ages are 11-14 for the Edge correct? We are second seating for dining, does that make a difference with regard to activities and participation? :thanks:

In Edge it's a lot of scavenger hunts, contests and competitions, themed nights, dance parties, karaoke, the homecoming dance, a hunt on Castaway, sports like dodge ball up on the sports deck and tons and tons and tons of video gaming. Day events are almost always scavenger-hunt type things, in the evening is often a bigger party or event where more of the 11-14 year olds show up.

Late Dining/Shows almost never contradict with the schedule since we know half of the ship will be eating at that time anyway, but don't be surprised if he really wants to rush and leave the meal early to get ready for whatever we're doing that night!

We do A LOT in Edge. Just make sure he comes on the first night for Icebreakers! :cheer2:

Hi - I read over a ton of this thread - did not read 32-45 though. That said, I have a few questions:

1. Is it true that DCL has life guards now? After that child drowned on Carnival I'm thrilled about the potential for life guards?
2. Are the new bands for the Lab/Club on the Fantasy? The yellow ones without the brick attached?
3. I'm assuming Frozen is playing often on board? And Saving Mr. Banks? Are either on-demand in our rooms? I might do a back flip...
4. Any ideas on how to get my 40.5" tall 4 y/o on the AquaDuck? I hate the 42" height requirement with a passion...
5. Can you list out the number of staff in each program at closing (midnight) so we can bring sufficient quantities? I don't think I've seen a total for each in one place. So the Nursery, Club/Lab, Vibe, etc.
6. What princesses are on board right now? I thought I saw a recent Navigator with Sofia the First... But I'm eager to know who else, so I know who won't be on, so I can prep my older daughter who has developed some expectations based on past cruises... It's all about managing expectations, isn't it. :rotfl:
7. Would it be wildly inappropriate to ask the manager on duty near closing time what they would do if we brought in goodies? I want to figure out who the rule freaks are and try to avoid their shift...
8. We were on the Fantasy last year - any changes that you are aware of that would be helpful to know from both a child-club stand point and then just in general?

Thanks much. I am going to try to figure out who you are. :cutie: It will pain me not to figure it out... Your posts have been amazing!

Finished this thread - such amazing information. We are going our second cruise in early March, first time for our boys & first time for all of our on the Magic. We are surprising them with the cruise but I bookmarked the "10 tips" & "5 tips" so I can prepare them on the plane before we board.

Planning to bring magazines w/ a note and a treat for the YCs. Wondering if instead of candy if I should bring GIrl Scout cookies? Only the Americans would know what they are but thought since they can not get them they might enjoy them? What about gum & mints - you can't buy them on the ship right?

Also was planning to bring GCs to hand out in notecards to CMs. Our server @ Palo mentioned going to Wal-mart when @ Port Canaveral. Would GC to Walmart be good since cash can not be accepted? Or would a calling card be a better GC?

Where do Guest Services CMs rank? Do they have Petty Officer privileges? Or do they have the privileges of housekeeping & dinning servers? Would they be able to accept GC from guests?

Lastly, do you know if our room host(ess) would be able to keep unopened soft drinks, water or unopened snacks for themselves? Or would they have to trash anything food or drink left in the rooms?

Thanks for answering so many questions! Thanks for giving your time to inform us! Take care. :)

Regarding pp question about the Aquaduck height requirements: I have a 4 yo son that was 41 inches barefeet. I tried having him keep his Keens on to get measured, no dice. they made him take them off, measure barefoot and denied him admission. He was upset, wanted to go with big brother since all the WDW rides that he likes are only 40 inches tall requirement and he FINALLY made that one. Really wish it was only 40 inches for consistency sake.

Regarding pp question about the Aquaduck height requirements: I have a 4 yo son that was 41 inches barefeet. I tried having him keep his Keens on to get measured, no dice. they made him take them off, measure barefoot and denied him admission. He was upset, wanted to go with big brother since all the WDW rides that he likes are only 40 inches tall requirement and he FINALLY made that one. Really wish it was only 40 inches for consistency sake.

Please remember that the height regulations are for the safety of your child. The employees enforcing the rules are doing it for that reason not to be mean. Please explain that to your child and not do the whole measure thing when you know your child is not tall enough.

Please remember that the height regulations are for the safety of your child. The employees enforcing the rules are doing it for that reason not to be mean. Please explain that to your child and not do the whole measure thing when you know your child is not tall enough.

Yep, I'm one of those *bad* parents who purposely set out to abuse the system and put the health and safety of my child at risk <sic> .

Sarcasm aside, I simply was answering another poster that was concerned her child would not be able to ride and indicating to them that, no, they probably won't be able to ride the Aquaduck because the CMs really do enforce the height requirement (barefoot) and there really isn't much they can do to change it.

If anyone has a smaller than normal nearly 5 year old, they know how pleading, cajoling they can be toward anyone who will listen. "But Mommmmmmyyyyyyy, I reeeeaaaaalllllyyyy want to go with big brother....." Your argument about not measuring the child in the first place is a wonderful argument for an adult such as myself to understand, but a non-abstract thinking 4 year old just doesn't respond well to that calm, rational statement. That's a parenting moment we've all likely experienced. Sometimes it is helpful to have the CM be the bad guy for a change and it frequently can disarm an upset little one while the other parent can distract them off to another activity while one of us takes ds7 up to ride the Aquaduck.

Sarcasm aside, I simply was answering another poster that was concerned her child would not be able to ride and indicating to them that, no, they probably won't be able to ride the Aquaduck because the CMs really do enforce the height requirement (barefoot) and there really isn't much they can do to change it.

I think that was Weedy's point as well...the CMs really do enforce the minimum height for safety reasons, so it is best to avoid putting the child (and CM) in that unpleasant situation by having them measured when the parent knows they are not quite tall enough.

We've been going to WDW since before our kids were tall enough to ride everything and they always handled it well, even the youngest one when his older siblings could ride things he couldn't. Then again we always waited until we knew they were tall enough to ride something before attempting, and we've always taken the approach that rules are rules and they apply to us, not just everyone else. Disney can lower every minimum height by an inch and there will still be those parents insisting their child who is 1/2 inch too short should be able to ride.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Can I just say how impressed I am that you lovely folks are slugging through this monster of a thread to read everything! :woohoo:
I'm currently sick and have been restricted to my cabin on a Sea Day, so I thought I'd pop on here and answer some questions! (My roommate is letting me use up her internet right now while she's downloading things for the next few hours :surfweb:)

Hi - I read over a ton of this thread - did not read 32-45 though. That said, I have a few questions:

1. Is it true that DCL has life guards now? After that child drowned on Carnival I'm thrilled about the potential for life guards?
Yes as of this year we've started assigning lifeguards! Not for all pools and only at designated times mind you, but they're the ones in RED. In addition, you might see people in White (Port Adventures or Flex Team) or Yellow (Youth Activities) to monitor but not doing lifeguard duties. if we are up there, it's to help keep a lookout for "Winnie-the-Poohs". Which you can imagine are very gross and result in the closing of the pool for a few hours!

2. Are the new bands for the Lab/Club on the Fantasy? The yellow ones without the brick attached?
A whole bunch arrived yesterday in Port Canaveral! We're not allowed to say when we'll be rolling them out completely officially, only that it will be "real soon".

3. I'm assuming Frozen is playing often on board? And Saving Mr. Banks? Are either on-demand in our rooms? I might do a back flip...
They are in the the Buena Vista, not sure about the guest cabins but I don't think they are yet as they're fairly recent!

4. Any ideas on how to get my 40.5" tall 4 y/o on the AquaDuck? I hate the 42" height requirement with a passion...
Ooh, I do not envy the CMs that have to turn away the shorter riders... I've seen them get chewed out by some really irate parents! I did see a kid once who I could've sworn wouldn't have made it if he didn't have such a big afro! So maybe a perm? :lmao:

5. Can you list out the number of staff in each program at closing (midnight) so we can bring sufficient quantities? I don't think I've seen a total for each in one place. So the Nursery, Club/Lab, Vibe, etc. (Don't forget Edge!)
Hmmm at closing this varies depending on what activities we're doing. But let's say around midnight the Nursery, Edge and Vibe each will have at least 2-4. The Oceaneer Club and Lab closing teams are about 4-8 each around midnight!

6. What princesses are on board right now? I thought I saw a recent Navigator with Sofia the First... But I'm eager to know who else, so I know who won't be on, so I can prep my older daughter who has developed some expectations based on past cruises... It's all about managing expectations, isn't it. :rotfl:
The princesses we MAY have "visiting the Disney Fantasy" for your cruise are Aurora, Snow White, Belle, Ariel, Cinderella, Tiana, Anna. And...I suppose that perky little (technically BIG) Sofia. Note that this is subject to change... you can imagine that Anna and one of the others aren't physically possible to be visiting the ship for the same cruise or the kids might find the faces in the photos a bit...odd. :P Also one of the friends of the princesses lost her voice a few days ago - yikes!

7. Would it be wildly inappropriate to ask the manager on duty near closing time what they would do if we brought in goodies? I want to figure out who the rule freaks are and try to avoid their shift...
Not inappropriate, but depending on who's around/listening they might have to give you the official "policy" answer when asked, even if they're one of our relaxed ones!

8. We were on the Fantasy last year - any changes that you are aware of that would be helpful to know from both a child-club stand point and then just in general?
Changes from last year to this year.... I suppose our new costumes and Oceaneer bands. I don't think there's too much difference in the guest experience (it's moreso a lot more restrictive rules for us on the CM-end since last year), maybe you'll notice us a bit stingier on giving out as many prizes and more likely to give out a Magical Moments certificate instead!
Oh and I don't know how much this matters to you, but if Counselors seemed very casual before and didn't say "sir" or "ma'am" enough....we've been asked firmly to put that into more practice.

Thanks much. I am going to try to figure out who you are. :cutie: It will pain me not to figure it out... Your posts have been amazing!

Finished this thread - such amazing information. We are going our second cruise in early March, first time for our boys & first time for all of our on the Magic. We are surprising them with the cruise but I bookmarked the "10 tips" & "5 tips" so I can prepare them on the plane before we board.
Yay! Excellent idea!

Planning to bring magazines w/ a note and a treat for the YCs. Wondering if instead of candy if I should bring GIrl Scout cookies? Only the Americans would know what they are but thought since they can not get them they might enjoy them? What about gum & mints - you can't buy them on the ship right?
Big thumbs up to the gum :thumbsup2 (Disney does not sell gum anywhere on property!). We do have altoids on board for those that smoke! Girl Scout cookies would be well received, I know whenever a very culture-specific treat comes to us everyone gets very intrigued!

Also was planning to bring GCs to hand out in notecards to CMs. Our server @ Palo mentioned going to Wal-mart when @ Port Canaveral. Would GC to Walmart be good since cash can not be accepted? Or would a calling card be a better GC?
It depends on the person, I know more international CMs would value a calling card more, but Americans would have better use of the Walmart GC!

Where do Guest Services CMs rank? Do they have Petty Officer privileges? Or do they have the privileges of housekeeping & dinning servers? Would they be able to accept GC from guests?
You know what, I don't actually know! I assume they're Petty Officers too but I don't see too many of them enjoying guest privileges as often as we try. I know they have a bit of a stricter policy on accepting gifts though... on the other hand, positive guest comments and nicely written letters count SO MUCH MORE for them than for us! (They have a big tally board in their offices where they keep track and get bonuses I imagine!)

Lastly, do you know if our room host(ess) would be able to keep unopened soft drinks, water or unopened snacks for themselves? Or would they have to trash anything food or drink left in the rooms?
Technically speaking they have to get rid of any items like that they find. Disney has no problem with throwing away mass amounts of unopened products sadly. If you bundled it all together with a note specifically for them, they might be able to convince their supervising manager so they won't get in trouble for theft!

Thanks for answering so many questions! Thanks for giving your time to inform us! Take care. :)

Hope that helped!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter