Current DVC Member offerings

nlenguyen

PharmDis95
My family is going on the trip there and we have never been to Aulani before. As DVC members what have you found to still be available? On the website it says that there is a nature walk, free popcorn refills, one free character picture, free gift at the luau? How accurate are those? Also what are some other things to do there? Are they doing any welcome lei greeting? We will be there for 3 nights at the end of May.

I'm heading there next week and am interested in the answer to this as well!

It may have changed since we were there in December, but at that time there were no tours or walks, no character meet and greets. There were popcorn refills, it that’s about it. There wasn’t even a DVC check in.

We went recently as well but because of Hawaii's ever changing covid protocols it is best to call Aulani directly and get the most up to date info that way. So what was open (or closed) when we went might be flipped for you. It will be a great time regardless!

Monday DVC event is 8-9am, they have a game show-like event in the Luau area, characters show up at the game show. We got a Moana magnet, nut necklace. That’s it. I think those that participated in the game show got a small token, maybe a pin? This was what happened last Monday anyhow.

Inga

Just got back from a great trip. We really enjoyed our stay there and will be going back. The DVC member benefits were there, just not very significant or visible. You did get a "fancy" pool band that sparkled and said "MEMBER" on it each day. Lots of people accumulate the bands over the various days they're there. We saw some people with bands halfway up to their elbow. We tried it, but honestly it's more hassle so next trip we'll just cut the old ones off each day. Also, our magicbands worked great for everything -- room charges, towel/band check-out, parking garage, room entry, etc. we don't even know where our room keys were as we never used them.

Your specific questions:
-- nature walk: we did not look into this one
-- free popcorn refills: Yes still there though we didn't partake
-- one free character picture: Yes, we got one from one of the CM's at the DVC model room. It's a "lithograph" of Aulani with a silhouette of Mickey with a surfboard in the foreground.
-- free gift at the luau?: Yes, this was a "Member celebration" pin. Acquired from the concierge by showing your Luau receipt.

You do get a few discounts here or there. I did get 10% at Rainbrow Reef (snorkeling), which I did twice. I tried snorkeling in the lagoon but couldn't see anything so went back to Rainbow Reef. FYI it's cold at first compared to the pools but you get used to it. No DVC discount for the pool bar/roaming waiters though. The fish feeding times filled up within minutes (you need to line up well before 8AM). We weren't interested, but if you are, be aware that they sell out quickly. Snorkeling was way better than the fish feeding tbh.

---Also what are some other things to do there?: There was also a member celebration on Monday morning at 8A on the Luau lawn. We originally signed up, but ended up not going as we were busy packing as that was our check-out day. We could see it from our balcony anyway. It was as described above, but I will add that there is no food (I asked and they said it used to be a breakfast but they got rid of it due to covid), and you have to bring towels or a blanket to sit on the ground for the duration. It's really more for the kids and I'd probably recommend it if you have kids aged 4-10 with you. We saw Stich, Chip 'n Dale, Donald and Daisy, and Moana.

-- Are they doing any welcome lei greeting?: We did not encounter any lei welcome greeting.

Other things that we did while there:
-- went on a late evening walk along the Ko Olina resort pathway. Such a pleasant temperature and evening. We meandered around and went through the Marriott Vacation Club which seemed like a nice facility, then walked back to Aulani on the sidewalk along Aliinui drive. That is a popular jogging path in the mornings.
-- Sat by the beach and read
-- Sat by the pools and read
-- Sat by the hot tubs and read
-- Swam in the lagoon, pools, and hot tubs
-- Went shopping (both on and offsite). BTW, avoid the Walmart and area around it. Instead, go to the Target, which is closer anyway. There is a Costco there, too, if you're a member.
-- Went down the waterslides and floated the lazy river
-- Saw Disney's Luau, which was excellent and really had a good time. Pay for the preferred seating. The Luau lawn is very long so the seating in the back is quite a ways from the stage. The Luau food was meh. The drinks were also a little disappointing.
-- Had dinner at Makahiki, which was good, just a bit expensive with the Prix Fixe. I'll skip it next time.
-- Rented a convertible and drove around a lot, which was one of the best parts of our trip
-- Hiked Diamond Head
-- Went to Pearl Harbor
-- Took a sunset Catamaran Cruise
-- Went to a few local cafes/restaurants. Some some hits and some misses with the local cuisine.

We could tell there was a ton more we were missing and are already planning another, longer trip. Didn't see Polynesian cultural center, didn't see the sub museum at pearl harbor, didn't check out the USS Missouri, didn't go to the north shore, didn't see turtles or whales, didn't do ukulele lessons, didn't do paddle boarding, didn't do make your own ears, didn't do the ATV excursion, etc. etc. Lots of potential for a lot more to do, but we'll be back!

Just got back from a great trip. We really enjoyed our stay there and will be going back. The DVC member benefits were there, just not very significant or visible. You did get a "fancy" pool band that sparkled and said "MEMBER" on it each day. Lots of people accumulate the bands over the various days they're there. We saw some people with bands halfway up to their elbow. We tried it, but honestly it's more hassle so next trip we'll just cut the old ones off each day. Also, our magicbands worked great for everything -- room charges, towel/band check-out, parking garage, room entry, etc. we don't even know where our room keys were as we never used them.

Your specific questions:
-- nature walk: we did not look into this one
-- free popcorn refills: Yes still there though we didn't partake
-- one free character picture: Yes, we got one from one of the CM's at the DVC model room. It's a "lithograph" of Aulani with a silhouette of Mickey with a surfboard in the foreground.
-- free gift at the luau?: Yes, this was a "Member celebration" pin. Acquired from the concierge by showing your Luau receipt.

You do get a few discounts here or there. I did get 10% at Rainbrow Reef (snorkeling), which I did twice. I tried snorkeling in the lagoon but couldn't see anything so went back to Rainbow Reef. FYI it's cold at first compared to the pools but you get used to it. No DVC discount for the pool bar/roaming waiters though. The fish feeding times filled up within minutes (you need to line up well before 8AM). We weren't interested, but if you are, be aware that they sell out quickly. Snorkeling was way better than the fish feeding tbh.

---Also what are some other things to do there?: There was also a member celebration on Monday morning at 8A on the Luau lawn. We originally signed up, but ended up not going as we were busy packing as that was our check-out day. We could see it from our balcony anyway. It was as described above, but I will add that there is no food (I asked and they said it used to be a breakfast but they got rid of it due to covid), and you have to bring towels or a blanket to sit on the ground for the duration. It's really more for the kids and I'd probably recommend it if you have kids aged 4-10 with you. We saw Stich, Chip 'n Dale, Donald and Daisy, and Moana.

-- Are they doing any welcome lei greeting?: We did not encounter any lei welcome greeting.

Other things that we did while there:
-- went on a late evening walk along the Ko Olina resort pathway. Such a pleasant temperature and evening. We meandered around and went through the Marriott Vacation Club which seemed like a nice facility, then walked back to Aulani on the sidewalk along Aliinui drive. That is a popular jogging path in the mornings.
-- Sat by the beach and read
-- Sat by the pools and read
-- Sat by the hot tubs and read
-- Swam in the lagoon, pools, and hot tubs
-- Went shopping (both on and offsite). BTW, avoid the Walmart and area around it. Instead, go to the Target, which is closer anyway. There is a Costco there, too, if you're a member.
-- Went down the waterslides and floated the lazy river
-- Saw Disney's Luau, which was excellent and really had a good time. Pay for the preferred seating. The Luau lawn is very long so the seating in the back is quite a ways from the stage. The Luau food was meh. The drinks were also a little disappointing.
-- Had dinner at Makahiki, which was good, just a bit expensive with the Prix Fixe. I'll skip it next time.
-- Rented a convertible and drove around a lot, which was one of the best parts of our trip
-- Hiked Diamond Head
-- Went to Pearl Harbor
-- Took a sunset Catamaran Cruise
-- Went to a few local cafes/restaurants. Some some hits and some misses with the local cuisine.

We could tell there was a ton more we were missing and are already planning another, longer trip. Didn't see Polynesian cultural center, didn't see the sub museum at pearl harbor, didn't check out the USS Missouri, didn't go to the north shore, didn't see turtles or whales, didn't do ukulele lessons, didn't do paddle boarding, didn't do make your own ears, didn't do the ATV excursion, etc. etc. Lots of potential for a lot more to do, but we'll be back!
Thank you so much for your report. This helps me out a ton. Sounds like it is mixed, just hoping things will change before we go in June

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there is definitely some major competition for lounge chairs with umbrellas. The resort has a rule that you can't leave anything on a lounge chair unattended before 8:00 a.m., which is when everything opens (the pool, water slides, and wristband/towel kiosks) If you do, they will collect any personal belongings that you must claim at the towel kiosk later. (we saw this happen to someone, so they do enforce it!)

this means that if you want a chair with an umbrella for the day, you need go claim it early (probably around 7: 30a or maybe even earlier for high demand areas) by someone in your party, physically sitting there and waiting until 8:00 a.m.

After 8:00, you can leave a few belongings there, go and get your pool bands and towels, and set up your space After which you can be reasonably confident that your area will be undisturbed as you go to the pools, have lunch, etc.

they also have a rule that if you leave your chairs unattended for more than an hour they *may* collect your belongings and clear that space for someone else. They do this by "marking" an unattended chair by folding up your towel in a certain way. you are required to unfold that towel within an hour or your space will be forfeit. It's a lot like a parking officer marking your tire with chalk. they come back after an hour and see if the towel is still folded, meaning you haven't been there for an entire hour, after which they collect your things.

while we were aware of this practice, I never saw a cast member folding any towels or anyone losing their chairs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

while we were aware of this practice, I never saw a cast member folding any towels or anyone losing their chairs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.
We saw this last week but only when the American Idol thing was going on, as they had removed a number of chairs in front of ama ama for filming, and so they were extra-managing the chairs. It’s how we got chairs one time, the cast member helped us out. Never saw it happen again after that. We got two loungers and a woman threw her towel down and never came back. We were there for hours.

they need to be way more strict with this; if you leave the pool area for anything longer than a toilet break you lose your rights to any chairs

Eh I think people should be able to go swimming for a half hour or run back to their room to grab lunch without losing their chairs if they've been using them most of the morning and intend to continue to use them.

It's the ones who drop their towel on a chair and leave for most of the day, checking in on it for a few minutes every few hours that I feel are being inconsiderate.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there is definitely some major competition for lounge chairs with umbrellas. The resort has a rule that you can't leave anything on a lounge chair unattended before 8:00 a.m., which is when everything opens (the pool, water slides, and wristband/towel kiosks) If you do, they will collect any personal belongings that you must claim at the towel kiosk later. (we saw this happen to someone, so they do enforce it!)

Thanks for the update, looking forward to our trip in July

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter