• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Curious? Will you continue to plan future trips?

How will the new price increases/quality decreases affect future trips

• They won't. We will still go to WDW exactly as planned

Votes: 83 46.9%
  • Eh. We will still go to WDW but for less days, not stay on site, book less ADRs

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • This trip? It's the last for a few years. With the changes, I'm not planning on a future trip

Votes: 38 21.5%
  • We are taking time off and trying other places for our vacation.

Votes: 36 20.3%

• Total voters
I feel like I say this in every post, but our upcoming trip is our (me and my parents) first time at WDW in 17 years. It might be their last trip, it might not. We'll see how we feel after this one. I'm hoping that I'll go back, either solo or with friends, in the future. It won't be next year or possibly not even the year after, but I'd like to go and see all the new stuff that they're currently working on.

I don't really understand the idea that the new price increases are coupled with getting "less" at WDW. The expansion of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs is already realized. New Fantasyland, which I know isn't exactly "new" anymore, but will be new to us. Also the new hub area in Magic Kingdom. The Star Wars fireworks at Hollywood Studios in addition to Fantasmic. And on the horizon: Rivers of Light at Animal Kingdom, Avatar Land/Pandora at Animal Kingdom, Star Wars Land at Hollywood Studios, Toy Story Land at Hollywood Studios, Frozen ride at Epcot, updated Soarin' at Epcot.

I just don't see how people can say they're raising prices but not offering more. They're trying to offer more, but people just have to be patient. And all that new stuff costs money, both to build and to run. And as for staff cutbacks, I would imagine the new parts of the parks that will open in the coming years will require many new cast members. I would think the trimming that they're doing now is related to how many new people they'll have on the payroll once those new "lands" open.

I think people fail to see the forest for the trees sometimes. But, it's certainly understandable if some no longer feel a WDW vacation is worth it. I'm sure millions of people have stopped going, rarely go, or have never gone because they don't think it's worth the money. And millions of others gladly keep going.

You clearly don't know Disney springs is not completely done and there are still construction walls up. The fact that you haven't been in 17 years and can count the changes in with both hands is exactly the problem for some of us that go often and are expected to pay more for less.

Well, with all due respect, if I had been to WDW 4-6 times per year for the past 12 years, I'd be sick to death of it and wouldn't think it was worth the money either. That's once every 2-3 months. That's 48-72 times! Yeah, I'd be done with it, price hikes or not.

The point is you were commenting on how you didn't understand people saying value had gone down. From someone who self-admits they had not been there in 17 years it was a curious statement.

I honestly don't know what we'll do once we've gone through our current tickets. We would only get an AP if we felt we would use it enough, and other options for how we typically tour (1 day here and there) are really limited now, even for FL residents

Fell in love with Disney service in 2002 at Disneyland with a new baby. Went to one of the coasts nearly every year until FP+ happened. Went once with FP+ and magic bands - about a year after they were introduced, but supposedly after the "testing" period. Our trips went from "amazing and magical" (overused adjective but y'all get what I mean) to just "meh". For *us* reducing acts and characters in the parks, the tiered and limited FP+'s, longer lines and decline in service were the deal breakers. We found ourselves sitting around waiting for the next FP+ window to open but lines were too long to go do something else- anything else. We're not big shoppers, although the boys really enjoyed building their own light sabers. The plan right now is we're done with Disney parks unless Oldest DS goes on band trip in 3 years. We'll see how things shake out by then and make a decision if the whole family goes. It may become cost-prohibitive at that point.

If prices continue to go up, we may be forced off site and/or less often.
If we stay off site, we would be more likely to try Universal and LegoLand also.

Yes, we won't simply continue to blindly pay whatever Disney asks. We'll look around and get an acceptable value for our money. I have also just discovered the Crayola Experience at the FL Mall which my 6yo would enjoy. DH said the other night he'd like to try out Universal to see what that's like.

As an avid Disney fan, we will continue to go, just not as often. Everything goes up in price, just the way it is. In fact I told the wife the other day that with food costs going up we needed to stop eating, but we know it isn't going to happen. We used to go every year at least once and sometime multiple times. Even had DVC since we went so often. This past year, we went with friends and stayed offsite since they wanted to keep the trip as cheap as possible. We actually had just as good a time as when we stayed onsite and really didn't miss a thing. That trip solidified our decision to sell DVC as the costs were going up on it and for us, no more value coming from it. The points value for stays went up so we had to cut back our days as well. I don't mind the ticket price increases as that is going to happen and I can get my tickets at a discount through work if needed. The biggest thing for us is the onsite acommidations. We are a family of 5 and there really isn't a cost effective place on site to stay. The cheapest for us would be about $250 a night for a simple no frills room that is really still too small to fit 5 people. And with the reduction in EMH I have seen, the value of staying onsite has diminished even more, that was really what kept us on site.

This has likely been discussed before but it seems like DVC members are a bit of a captive audience. Since they've bought in that just seems like carte blanche $$$ for Disney price/fee increases.

Last edited:
My daughter will be 6 this year. We have at least 3 more WDW in our future and one to DLR that will also include some CA national park action :)

It is what it is. I'll try to save money where I can while not losing out on what we love about Disney. I've already started saving and planning for our trip next December. I bought the tickets already to avoid the increases. We don't go unless the trip is paid for in advance. I use rewards and GCs and do my best to not feel the pain of saving between trips.

If DD decides she doesn't want to go anymore then we will stop.

DVC has has use of Disney resorts around the world, Cruises on DCL and selection top resorts and RCI around the world and Adventure vacations/ tours. We are not carte blanche at all. Best thing we ever brought into.

AKK

Best thing to do is go look at what other entertainment costs............However be ready, your going to be surprised at what entertainment anyway near the level of the top of the line that
Disney provides.

Is there cheaper , there sure is, and you get what you pay for.

AKK

Food&Wine is all that appeals anymore, if they substantially mess with that, concerts on weekends only like F&G for instance, the yearly trips will end.

Bill From PA

Had enough. I'll sit back and wait -- with any luck, the new construction projects will be done before I become the 1,000th ghuest in the Haunted Mansion.

Last edited:
I wished that i had 'discovered' Disneyland Paris before now. It is only 3 hours for me, from London by train and it doesnt cost me $7,000 per trip like a 10 day WDW trip does.
Obviously DLP is only a 3 or 4 day trip but as they are finally bringing the rides up to Disney standards after them not being touched since opening day in 1992 and bringing more characters into the parks for meet and greets, i think i am going to start going there more. It is a beautiful park.
I cant afford WDW at the moment plus i find that DLP nor Disneyland doesnt have that 'intense' atmosphere like Magic Kingdom does.
My two night trip to DLP last week in total was $850.
So i will try and go there more in the meantime and i can get my Disney 'fix' that way.
I would like to go back to WDW when the new lands and rides are completed.

Last edited:
Well, having just lost my grandmother, I was wanting to plan a trip for my aunt since she was the main caregiver for so many years and hasn't gotten to go back to WDW since the 80s.

I even got a pin code and after looking at a lot of options found that we could all stay at SSR in a 2br for around the same as other vacations we are looking at. But- that is room only, no park tix.

Showed the big group the pin code and we all are arriving at consensus to treat aunt at Colonial Williamsburg this year instead. Travel time is also a factor and that tips our scale to more local places.

I still plan to treat aunt and extended family in the future, and plan one other trip with godchildren, but only if we get more pin codes or can get a deal renting dvc. Even then I am ok with 4 or less park days, 1 good character meal, and that's really it.

The point is you were commenting on how you didn't understand people saying value had gone down. From someone who self-admits they had not been there in 17 years it was a curious statement.
I guess my point was that while some may be done with Disney and are no longer planning to go, I'm finally able to go for the first time in a long time. I've wanted to go many times over the past 17 years, but it just wasn't feasible for me. So I'm very excited to be rediscovering Disney.
I'll decide whether or not I think the prices are too high for what I experience at the end of this month. If I think it's worth it, I'll hope to visit again some day. If I don't think it was worth it, I won't.
I honestly hope reading all of the negativity on this board won't cast a shadow over my trip. I love the DISboards because I've learned so much, but there is danger in seeing the place nit-picked apart like this. My fault for clicking on these threads though, and not meant as a slight against you, Slapshot. You and everyone else is entitled to your opinions.

I'm still up in the air, especially since my husband isn't a fan. We did decide to cancel our couples F&W trip and go to the Keys instead. My AP is good until 2/17 so I'll still go through in although I doubt I'll stay onsite. I'm one of those weirdos who actually prefers to avoid restaurants most of the time and loves having a full kitchen. I rebooked for a solo F&W trip without DH but it will be offsite in a SkyAuction condo.

I'm hanging on to our MVMCP reservation at Ft Wilderness, gonna wait and see how it all pans out.

If you can't afford it don't go. If you can afford it and love it do go.

When the Plaza raises prices I still stay there. I don't head to the motel 6 and eat McDonald's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter