Cruise Virgin here...

mrsjoannh13

DIS Veteran
Have been to the World many times (AP holder, DVC) so I feel super comfortable knowing how to plan a "land" vacation. Planning on our first Disney cruise ever one year from now on the Fantasy out of Port Canaveral.

Can anyone give this cruise newbie some general "must know" tips? How far out to book dining? How to get Cinderella to tuck my DD into bed? I just feel generally lost like I did the first time I planned our trip to WDW, lol.

Any first time tips or helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Have been to the World many times (AP holder, DVC) so I feel super comfortable knowing how to plan a "land" vacation. Planning on our first Disney cruise ever one year from now on the Fantasy out of Port Canaveral.

Can anyone give this cruise newbie some general "must know" tips? How far out to book dining? How to get Cinderella to tuck my DD into bed? I just feel generally lost like I did the first time I planned our trip to WDW, lol.

Any first time tips or helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You don't HAVE to book dining. If you want to book an adult restaurant (or the character breakfast if there is one) you'll do that online in your cruise planner at 75 days out. Ditto any excursions, etc.

As far as characters tucking kids into bed?? Nope. Doesn't happen.

The only thing that you have to book for dinner if you want to is for Palo or Remy. But thoes two restraunts cost extra and you have to be 18 or older to be able to dine there.

I really wish this was a thing, but charaters do not tuck little kids in at night. But that would be super awesome if they did that!!!

I love the Fastasy. It is my favorite disney ship. I have friends and family that work on this ship. I have a few tips for you :)
- Be on time to dinner. If you are late, they will slow your section down so everyone can somewhat be on the same course. If you are going to be super late one night, just go up to cabannas for dinner. They serve to same food that is in the main dining rooms.
- I do not know when you are going on our cruise, but sometimes, they have princess meet and greets in the morning that you can reserve tickets for. I reccomend you do get tickets at the port adventures desk right when you get on board. The spots fill up fast!

I hope you have an amzing cruise! You are going to have so much fun!!!!!

The only thing that you have to book for dinner if you want to is for Palo or Remy. But thoes two restraunts cost extra and you have to be 18 or older to be able to dine there.

I really wish this was a thing, but charaters do not tuck little kids in at night. But that would be super awesome if they did that!!!

I love the Fastasy. It is my favorite disney ship. I have friends and family that work on this ship. I have a few tips for you :)
- Be on time to dinner. If you are late, they will slow your section down so everyone can somewhat be on the same course. If you are going to be super late one night, just go up to cabannas for dinner. They serve to same food that is in the main dining rooms.
- I do not know when you are going on our cruise, but sometimes, they have princess meet and greets in the morning that you can reserve tickets for. I reccomend you do get tickets at the port adventures desk right when you get on board. The spots fill up fast!

You can book Princess (and Frozen) Gatherings when your check in window opens as well.

Thanks - we are looking to go next February - I think the 2/10/18 departure - can't wait!

I would say book ASAP, if you haven't already. This is different then the WDW vacations. Sometimes the prices stay pretty flat, but sometimes they go up and up over time. Plus some cabins and locations on the ship will fill up.

Having said that, planning a DCL vacation isn't that hard, and you have plenty of time once you book the actual stateroom to read up on things around here.

Have fun!

A cruise vacation requires a lot less planning than a full-on DisneyWorld trip imo. As a pp said, it is good advice to book right away if you're ready to book. Then start reading the threads in this forum and ask questions. Once you have the cruise pinned down, figure out if you need extra days in Florida before (many of us come from away and couple a little ahead of time) or after the cruise so you can pin down airfare if you need it. Most everything else cannot be booked until your 75 days out so you'll have lots of time to discover what excursions you want, extra dinning options, etc.

You CAN book the characters for a private meeting -- like a birthday party or such, but it's pretty pricey. It's hundreds of dollars for half an hour. anyone remember the exact fee? It would be a really really expensive good night hug from Cinderelly.

Take note that you will only be able to book meals at Palo/Remy, excursions, spa packages, some characters meet and greet ... 75 days before your cruise since it is your first.

75 days before your cruise will be the only stressful day. And I recommend staying up (the night before) passed midnight to book because some events/appointments/PAT sell out very fast...Also, you should know that cabanas on Castaway Cay are really hard to book (usually sold out to Concierge, Platinum and Gold CC Members before first cruise and Silver CC Members window)... If you thought about getting one. If you don't expect getting one you won't be disappointed.

Most characters meet and greet you'll be able to get without having to book anything (for some you might need free tickets that you'll get at Guest Services upon embarkation).

There will be some more activities you can subscribe to. Some are free, some charge fees. You'll get all the info in the Personal Navigator that you'll receive when you embark.

It is much much much less stressful than planning a land trip!

Thanks - we are looking to go next February - I think the 2/10/18 departure - can't wait!

We are booked for that cruise! Just announced today that it will be a star wars cruise. So, the prices will probably go up - book now if you can. You can always cancel up to 75 days before.

How old are your kids? There are some excursions that won't work for little ones. But, you will love it! You can do as much or as little as you would like. Going on our 6th cruise and still haven't done everything!

Some people choose to book through a travel agent for the onboard credit. I used Dreams Unlimited which worked well for us.

Something I wish I knew on my first cruise was that each person in your party needs to have a lanyard to hold your Key to the World card. DCL gives lanyards out only to previous cruisers. You need that card for EVERYTHING so it needs to be handy.

Look for old Navigators and read up on daily activities.

Something I wish I knew on my first cruise was that each person in your party needs to have a lanyard to hold your Key to the World card. DCL gives lanyards out only to previous cruisers. You need that card for EVERYTHING so it needs to be handy.

I often see the bemoaning that only returning cruisers are given lanyards, but HAL, RCCL, and fathom don't give ANYONE lanyards that I have seen. So it's not like not being given one is weird.

I bought the adults DCL Lanyards for Christmas. Do I need to get one for all the kids?

Will the kids be on their own (outside the kids' clubs) without you? Will they be unlocking their stateroom door when you're not there? Will they have charging privileges in the shops? If there's no reason for them to use their KTTW card without your supervision, then no, they don't need a lanyard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter