"Cruise Casual"

Pooh's-Honey-Pot

DVC owner since 2020 - VGF, BLT and SSR
:goodvibes Hi all!

I know what to wear formal and semi-formal night. But what do you wear on the other nights, when the guidelines are "cruise casual"?! Would love to see some pictures for inspiration please if anyone has any!:)

A denim skirt and whatever top, khaki pants or capris and whatever top. My teen wears jeans.....a casual dress.....

ahhh, it really does come down to each family's personal opinion! lol!

For us (DH and boys, and sometime me too!), it's Khakis and polo shirt. My kids also wore nice khaki shorts when they were younger; they were dressed neatly.

occassionally you'll see jeans, or tank tops. On my 3 cruises, I've never seen anyone turned away.

I'm the last person in the world to be accused of being a clothes snob (I hate to "dress up"!), but it does make the whole atmosphere special when everyone is dressed neatly. I think because the Wonder 3 day I took was so short, there were more folks being a little less dressy/more casual than my experiences on the Magic.

OT...I was standing behind a famous rocker as we waited to reboard from Castaway Cay. He had a huge "F...You!" on his ball cap, and his t shirt was from a stripper joint... what a jerk. :rolleyes1 I'm sure he thought he was so funny, thumbing his nose at the clean-cut "Disney" families. Dude, there's a time and a place...

ok, where's that duck-and-cover smiley??/:laughing:

That celebrity mentality really gets to me sometimes.

Anyway, I usually wear capris or slacks and nice shirts or blouses. My DH wears dockers and golf shirts. As long as you don't wear shorts and swim suits (and offensive t-shirts & hats), you're good to go IMHO.

Okay, so capris are fine, but not shorts. I can understand daisy duke type shorts being inappropriate, but what about nice walking shorts/knee length shorts? DD has some really cute long shorts (not denim) from Justice/Limited Too that she wears with light weight sweaters or a cute tunic. Would those be appropriate?

Plus, a woman can dress up a pair of long walking shorts with a cute pair of heeled strappy sandals and nice blouse. Would that be considered inappropriate? I know they say no shorts, but some shorts are dressier and nicer than some dresses.

This is really helpful thanks! Sounds like I will be OK in a skirt and strappy top then. What about shoes - are flip flops OK, as long as they are "proper" material and not the plasticy Croc style ones?

No one is going to deny you admission to the dining room unless you are barefoot or in swimwear. However....the suggested dress code is no shorts at dinner. I would interpret that as "no shorts." Not "no shorts unless they are dressy." Any shoes are fine. Flip flops are fine regardless of what they are made of.

Kids are obviously more casual than adults, but I'd take this as a time to teach proper dressing for a nice restaurant. Save the shorts and tunic for lunch....replace the shorts with a pair of pants for dinner.

DOn't forget a sweater or casual jacket--the dining rooms can be cool.

Shorts would be OK. I saw plenty of people wearing them including myself. They did not turn anyone away from the dining room. Really, being in the Caribbean in summer, I would think that shorts would be the preferred dress. The dining room was not cold like many others have said. Maybe it was just the one cruise that I was on. I saw plenty of people also wear all kinds of shoes including those funny Crocs. I don't see much difference between Crocs and flip flops anyway. Also, your feet are under the table and unless someone drops a Mickey bar, I doubt most people would see your feet.

I know that shorts are generally frownded upon, but how about Bermuda shorts? Like the plaid kind that is currently in style?

I am vertically challenged, so for me, there is like a one inch difference between my Bermuda shorts and my capris.

My boys have always worn pants and sweater vests or this time ties for the dress up nights and on the casual nights they wear matching polos and shorts - yes shorts - on every cruise - Wonder or Magic- and they are just fine. They are neat, clean and all four match. I'm comfortable with that, my husband is comfortable with that and so are the boys. My daughter usually has a dress or a nice capri set.

It really comes down to what you are comfortable with. If you or your kids are worried about sticking out, then maybe you need to follow the guidelines more strictly. Shorts work for us and my oldest is now ten.

Also, I love having them kick off their shoes and take casual pictures in their matching outfits on the white background - some of my favorite pics - it wouldn't work if they were more dressed up.

But that's just me. I think you'll see everything if you look hard enough

Good idea...you'll be fine with that. :thumbsup2 But just a word about the capris that a few talked about; I have seen a couple in the dining rooms but in reality they are considered street wear and not casual. I would stick to skirts, dresses, or long pants.

Nobody gets turned away...I personally would prefer no jeans or shorts at dinner--and it used to be that way. Ah the Good Old Days. Now it seems anything goes. I always thought the Topsiders/BBB dining was for those who did not wish to dress up (and by dress up on cruise casual nights khaki slacks and a polo would be fine and slacks or any casual sundress etc for the ladies). And I really don't like it when people don't dress in Lumieres/Tritons. Again it's probably just me.

Since you asked for pictures, I'll break the ice...

Both boys have khakis on bottom:
IMG_0904.jpg

DH never wore jeans in the dining room, but DS did since the dress code changed:
IMG_1175.jpg

Of course, the khakis again after a drink spilled on the jeans!
SnowWhiteandMama.jpg

Again in khakis and a black cotton skirt for me:
IMG_1247.jpg

Nobody gets turned away...I personally would prefer no jeans or shorts at dinner--and it used to be that way. Ah the Good Old Days. Now it seems anything goes. I always thought the Topsiders/BBB dining was for those who did not wish to dress up (and by dress up on cruise casual nights khaki slacks and a polo would be fine and slacks or any casual sundress etc for the ladies). And I really don't like it when people don't dress in Lumieres/Tritons. Again it's probably just me.

While I basically agree with you and I, too, liked the "good old days," the suggested dress is based on the night, not the restaurant. You might be in Lumiere's on formal night. You also might be in Parrot on formal night and Lumiere's on a cruise casual night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter