Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you posting on a thene park board if you have no interest in going? To chide people who do feel comfortable going?

This is a discussion board for Disney rumors and news. Speculation on rumors and discussions around news. Many people post on here every day who don’t have trips coming up to add commentary and perspective. And have for years. The rumors and news board is filled with people interested in Disney who speculate and discuss every move Disney makes. There are other areas of the board that are more specifically for trip planning. Also, many people who are not interested in going have
answered questions or given great advice to those who are going. There are very knowledgeable people here.

I do not have a trip planned and definitely would not travel right now, but as a shareholder, former CP and DVC member and really just someone who is into Disney, I’m interested in how they adapt for covid.

Last edited:

Before the shutdown, I was able to opt out of housekeeping via the "Service your way program" and it even stated how much the gift card would be. Then during the shutdown that option had been removed from the online checkin. I now see this back, with the verbiage change (it kept my original choice of declining service). It no longer mentions a gift card, so I am assuming that they will no longer offer the gift card to those who opt out.

Our trip is in early august, as a biologist I can't help but watch the numbers closely. It is important to remember that its not just the raw positives that matter. 3,000 new cases in an area with the population and density of NYC (where most of NY's early cases were located) is a very different epidemiological story compared to 3,000 cases in the areas of FL that new cases appear to be coming from. Density is a major factor to how this virus spreads and I'm not sure anywhere in FL can really model the population and density distribution seen in NYC and its surrounding areas.

Personally, I'd be more worried if I had rebooked for December through the rest of the winter. Combined with flu season and a resurgence in air travel, well, there is a reason Disney is already tempering expectations for their Christmas party....
You have it right on in that population density plays hugely into it and that the mass outbreak in NYC occurred before mask use and social distancing came into widespread use. A packed theme park might approach those conditions like found in NYC for a short time, but that is why everyone is going out of their way to avoid it and markedly decrease capacity to spread folks out.

We also have a trip planned in Dec and are watching things closely. We had planned it to resort hop and see the decorations and to attend candlelight processional and both are now question. We’ll see, but as this year has shown, you can’t predict next week much less 6 months from now. Heck if I could predict the future that well I‘d have bought stock in Toilet Paper manufacturing and be staying our next trip in a Poly Bungalow :-)

Another day, another roller coaster.

Maybe it is finally soon! :flower1:

Yep. Got my hopes up that yesterday would be the day. But the more I think about it, the seem to be approaching this is steps.

1 They announced only DVC and FW would be open.
2. They went through the system and whacked all the fastpasses and ADRs.
3. They started moving people in non-DVC resorts that had reservations for the pre-opening people (6/22-7/11).
4. They announced which NBA resorts would be used.
5. They started taking ADRs for the pre-opening period.

As much as I want to be able to make theme park reservations really “soon”, I can’t see that happening until deal with the non-DVC reservations for the first few weeks after the theme parks will be open. It’s possible they simply may not be able to accommodate everyone and then some may be offered an alternate resort but choose to cancel if they are not happy with the offer.

So unfortunately, I think it could easily be another week or so before we can make theme park reservations. For those of us with reservations the first week after theme parks open, the window to make ADRs will be even smaller.

She wasn't sharing any advice. Just the message that people shouldn't even want to go.

I’m just pointing out that this isn’t an echo chamber of the same perspective. It’s just an opinion ...

People still going have surely made themselves of the risks. Disney can put measures in place, but when they go, they’re also relying on the thousands of other guests who will also be in the parks to follow the rules.

Will someone who traveled go to the parks with cold symptoms but no fever? Probably. If some people feel feverish, will they take a fever reducer to try to pass temp check and get into the park? Probably. People go to the parks sick and lie on their health forms to board Disney cruises all the time. Will people try to get around the mask requirement by pulling them down when rides start? Probably. Will groups get too close to other groups? Probably.

I think Disney will be better about rules enforcement than they have been in the past given that this is a public health situation, but some guests will always try to skirt the rules.

If people want to go, that’s great. Everyone looks at these things through a different lens and is in a different situation. I look forward for the reports from those who do go. I just really hope given FL’s current situation that they follow the rules and measures Disney has put in place.

Last edited:

Yep. Got my hopes up that yesterday would be the day. But the more I think about it, the seem to be approaching this is steps.

3. They started moving people in non-DVC resorts that had reservations for the pre-opening people (6/22-7/11).

As much as I want to be able to make theme park reservations really “soon”, I can’t see that happening until deal with the non-DVC reservations for the first few weeks after the theme parks will be open. It’s possible they simply may not be able to accommodate everyone and then some may be offered an alternate resort but choose to cancel if they are not happy with the offer.

So unfortunately, I think it could easily be another week or so before we can make theme park reservations. For those of us with reservations the first week after theme parks open, the window to make ADRs will be even smaller.

I totally agree and have been saying for awhile I think it makes more sense to take care of resorts first. I'm hoping today is "official" resort news day. We'll see!

I'm going to predict that Candlelight Processional will not happen this year.
The theater would be cut in half in terns of capacity, while the event is arguably the most popular of the holiday season. That would mean A LOT of people would be left out and upset, standing around outside the theater won't work either
Also the choirs that participate come from all around the country and then are together for hours backstage, in a small-ish area while they practice, and then of course close together, shoulder to shoulder on stage
Unless something absolutely radical happens with the virus, I don't see this happening this year

I agree. The next shoe to drop will concern resort reservations during the first couple of weeks of reopening, followed by park reservations and in-park dining reservations. I cannot imagine starting the park reservation system prior to confirming hotel rooms for guests still holding reservations in resorts, like YC and CSR, which we already know will only be open to the NBA.

The theater would be cut in half in terns of capacity, while the event is arguably the most popular of the holiday season. That would mean A LOT of people would be left out and upset, standing around outside the theater won't work either
Also the choirs that participate come from all around the country and then are together for hours backstage, in a small-ish area while they practice, and then of course close together, shoulder to shoulder on stage
Unless something absolutely radical happens with the virus, I don't see this happening this year

I think that would be a really tough one to pull off too.

My TIP ( sorry prediction :) )

Info comes out on reservation system 25th June
Reservation system goes live on 28th June

Not for everyone at the same time though as Disney already stated

While I logically understand all of this, I am very saddened. After several decades of attending Disney, I finally saw this last year...twice Ming Na-Wen and NPH. My daughter was in one of the choirs that sang. She has some learning issues and has not had a normal school course, so to watch her participate in a group setting was just as magical as seeing the Processional. We've had a lot of stuff canceled (like many)...DCL Med, DLP, kids first time skiing, luckily I didn't have any kiddos who graduated or missed a prom...so I wouldn't be surprised if the list of 2020 keeps on growing.

Our trip is in early august, as a biologist I can't help but watch the numbers closely. It is important to remember that its not just the raw positives that matter. 3,000 new cases in an area with the population and density of NYC (where most of NY's early cases were located) is a very different epidemiological story compared to 3,000 cases in the areas of FL that new cases appear to be coming from. Density is a major factor to how this virus spreads and I'm not sure anywhere in FL can really model the population and density distribution seen in NYC and its surrounding areas.

Personally, I'd be more worried if I had rebooked for December through the rest of the winter. Combined with flu season and a resurgence in air travel, well, there is a reason Disney is already tempering expectations for their Christmas party....

Totally agree- not saying we shouldn’t take precautions though. However, I live in Suffolk County on Long Island east of NYC. My county has more cases and deaths than the entire state of Florida- density is definitely a big part

After last evenings info from Disney and the movement in relocating guests, I’m curious as to what today brings. Being Friday it will be something.. but i don’t think we will hear much about the launch of the reservation system for the parks. (well.. maybe a date, without specifics).

Too many moving parts.. no wonder they are a month behind other parks reopening.

A friend pointed out that reopening the other parks was reopening parks.. reopening WDW is like reopening a city the size of San Francisco - with the similar/same logistics all the while keeping hurricane season in mind as yet another factor! lol/smh!

Ok Friday... ready - set - GO! 😆

I am hoping that the remainder the festival will-- the booths will already be up!

I totally agree and have been saying for awhile I think it makes more sense to take care of resorts first. I'm hoping today is "official" resort news day. We'll see!
I agree too. would make sense to have the resorts go first so people know if they want to still go before deciding on the park. I'll take any type of "SOON" we can get! I'm most curios about the inner workings of the whole reservation system though personally, I really want to know the details as to why they end up making it however they end up with it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter