• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point rental rates have sky-rocketed and it’s not always a fantastic deal worth giving up the benefits a cash reservation gets you. My March 2020 reservation was about $110 a night cheaper than the same dates in March 2021, for a studio.

I could go on and on as to why an intermediary who sells his service as a way to lower risk for both owners and renters is doing the exact opposite and making the situation worse for owners and renters alike, but it’s probably too OT and there’s tons of talk regarding this on the DVC forums.

All I’ll say is proceed with caution. Very hindsight is 20/20 (or just plain 2020 in this case) to say the risks included Disney not opening at all.

I understand that and it's exactly why I don't rent. As I said, my AP discount is close enough that I'm willing to pay a little more if I have to, for the guaranteed refund. But I just disagree that if you don't get what you paid for, and you didn't cancel, that you should just be out your money. I'm just glad I'm not in that position and I feel for anyone who has to deal with it. Regardless of how rare this was, buyers are going to be much more leery when making reservations and I have no doubt this will cut into their business. Just out of curiosity, I checked a rental site and it would appear a 5 night rental for a 1 br at Riviera would cost me over 4500. I'm paying $2300 directly through Disney. I double checked to make sure I had dates correct, but that's shocking to me.

AFA your Riveria reference above, many owners set their own price. If they gouge, then it's on them when they don't successfully rent.

I do have to agree 100% that the discount, to me, isn't worth the loss.

However, as I said above, it's about deliverability. If a resort is closed and a renter can't go is very different than if it's open and they choose to not go.

Just to share my opinion re the mask issue - I'm not mad at Disney at all, and totally understand where they are coming from - and if we do decide to keep our July trip, we will definitely adhere and wear the masks - that being sad, I honestly worry about ppl wearing masks all day long ( with a break from them, here or there, obviously - ) in the heat - even at 60 degrees, a mask would be extremely uncomfortable if worn for extended periods of time

Again, not mad at all - just upset because I can't see taking my kids to "the happiest place on earth" and watching them be so uncomfortable- my son is on the lower end of the spectrum, and has some sensory issues, and won't even wear it to walk around around the block - his therapist thinks it is probably making him feel claustrophobic -

And as a dad, need to see smiles !!
Just a thought and may not work but check with universal studios I believe they have an autism certification maybe they can give you their policy and you can bring it to Disney’s attention! I work in a middle school with a large autism program and I think they go to universal for their 8th grade trip because of this certification

Just a thought and may not work but check with universal studios I believe they have an autism certification maybe they can give you their policy and you can bring it to Disney’s attention! I work in a middle school with a large autism program and I think they go to universal for their 8th grade trip because of this certification

Thanks ! THought of that, but my other fear is the looks that ANYONE will get if masks are mandatory , and someone isn't wearing one - I can see so many arguments in the parks, especially during the summer when tempers tend to flare as it is - and honestly, I walk 1-2 miles a nite here in NYC, where it's been around 50-55 lately, and it's so uncomfortable with the mask - I can't imagine how it's going to feel with higher temps and humidity -

The point rental rates have sky-rocketed and it’s not always a fantastic deal worth giving up the benefits a cash reservation gets you. My March 2020 reservation was about $110 a night cheaper than the same dates in March 2021, for a studio.

I could go on and on as to why an intermediary who sells his service as a way to lower risk for both owners and renters is doing the exact opposite and making the situation worse for owners and renters alike, but it’s probably too OT and there’s tons of talk regarding this on the DVC forums.

All I’ll say is proceed with caution. Very hindsight is 20/20 (or just plain 2020 in this case) to say the risks included Disney not opening at all.

I agree totally, point prices are absolutely going up but that's because of the demand. There are a lot of timeshare owners who have something that's in extreme demand. Again, who could have ever produced WDW closing? But as I said, any time you travel, there's a risk.

Prior to Covid, so many places were plugging rentals as being such a deal. But I don't think the places plugging accurately conveyed the restrictions that were in place for a timeshare owner if/when something awful happened.

Thanks ! THought of that, but my other fear is the looks that ANYONE will get if masks are mandatory , and someone isn't wearing one - I can see so many arguments in the parks, especially during the summer when tempers tend to flare as it is - and honestly, I walk 1-2 miles a nite here in NYC, where it's been around 50-55 lately, and it's so uncomfortable with the mask - I can't imagine how it's going to feel with higher temps and humidity -

I can relate completely. We just wore them for a funeral (where they were required) for an hour outside with the temps (with sun) about 65* and it was miserable - wearing them in the heat of FL Disney parks would be totally intolerable to me - can't begin to imagine how people will keep them on their children. Understand completely the need - just that we don't go in summer anyway - and with a mask!!! No way.

Just to share my opinion re the mask issue - I'm not mad at Disney at all, and totally understand where they are coming from - and if we do decide to keep our July trip, we will definitely adhere and wear the masks - that being sad, I honestly worry about ppl wearing masks all day long ( with a break from them, here or there, obviously - ) in the heat - even at 60 degrees, a mask would be extremely uncomfortable if worn for extended periods of time

Again, not mad at all - just upset because I can't see taking my kids to "the happiest place on earth" and watching them be so uncomfortable- my son is on the lower end of the spectrum, and has some sensory issues, and won't even wear it to walk around around the block - his therapist thinks it is probably making him feel claustrophobic -

And as a dad, need to see smiles !!
That last sentence. Absolutely. Besides all the other issues with mask wearing at Disney, this is one that makes it a complete deal breaker for me. I want to see my kids smile and laugh. We’ve taken our kids only once and we planned to go again this summer. One of my favorite memories was our first day on that trip, watching the lion king show in AK. Their jaws were open and then they had the biggest smiles on their faces. Those moments are frozen in my memory. I watched them more than the show.

Anyone else wondering why he was touching everything? The hand rails, the cast members... I kept cringing each time lol

Of course they were probably healthy and tested, but it’s still not a good look to touch that railing and then pat a CM on the shoulder right after. And that’s just in general, but in a video describing social distancing and safety procedures...yikes

”for those upset about their kids aging out I get it. But there’s no good time for this. My kids are 14 and 16 and my daughter was slated to spend her Sweet 16 in WDW which has Been her childhood wish. That’s gone. She will never turn 16 again. We had shirts made and everything. Was a week out when it closed. I know the little ones are too young right now to get it, but for us it was an opportunity to have our kids learn about real world issues and how to deal with disappointment and what they can and can’t control. I was pretty proud how she took it in stride. Better than me I might add
’
ive been taking my kids almost every year since they have been 2. My daughter turned 27 this year and was very disappointed that they closed on her birthday in April. Once a Disney kid always a Disney kid, including me but I just grew up with “The Wonderful World of Disney”

Of course they were probably healthy and tested, but it’s still not a good look to touch that railing and then pat a CM on the shoulder right after. And that’s just in general, but in a video describing social distancing and safety procedures...yikes
Right! I wouldn't have noticed otherwise but it was because of the subject he was discussing as he was doing it

If they can't follow the guidelines in place can't imagine guests doing it. After seeing what happened in Korea with one person spreading the virus to 40 people within a week is the last thing Disney or any park wants.

I was looking at the QS tables with little placards on them telling folks not to use that table and wondering to myself whether that's going to work here. Too many memories of past trips to WDW in my head trying to get a table almost anywhere is coloring my view. I can see a family picking up their food and looking around and not seeing any tables without the cards on them. Not envying any CMs. They might be better off just removing tables to avoid the situation.

I was looking at the QS tables with little placards on them telling folks not to use that table and wondering to myself whether that's going to work here. Too many memories of past trips to WDW in my head trying to get a table almost anywhere is coloring my view. I can see a family picking up their food and looking around and not seeing any tables without the cards on them. Not envying any CMs. They might be better off just removing tables to avoid the situation.
These guidelines will be in place as long as social distancing need to be in place and the parks will cap capacity accordingly.
As for the guy touching things, the guidelines are wash your hands/ use hand sanitizer and don't touch your face. As long as he's not touching his face until he can sanitize his hands it's ok.
People are going to be uber aware of what others do, I hope people are aware of what you are doing

Again, not mad at all - just upset because I can't see taking my kids to "the happiest place on earth" ...

Happiest place on earth is a highly subjective and relative term. 🤣

Park capacity should be kept at a number where that isn’t an issue but I agree probably best to remove them if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter