• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not just about the planning though - for many of us, it’s about the financial aspect. I can’t afford to buy brand new tickets for next year, and our AP will be expired. I realize I’m making some assumptions here, but if you had two trips planned this spring, I suspect you’re either more local or are in a financial situation where losing money to push your trip out isn’t a big deal. My husband and I saved for a long time to be able to buy APs. I’m a second year teacher in a low income area — we cannot afford to just lose all that money and plan a trip next year instead. If we don’t go this year or get offered something significant by Disney, this is likely it for us for the next few years at least.

My trips were not to Disney. We were going to see family and friends in Dallas and we had D.C. booked for this month.

I understand the AP frustration and I would be on the phone with Disney getting the partial refund to recover some of the costs.

Literally every single human being on the face of the earth has been impacted and disrupted by this. There are millions upon millions of Americans who, like you, won’t be able to use their vacation days in the exact preferred way that they like. Myself included. In the middle of unprecedented times, sometimes we can’t get what we want.

While that’s unfortunate to have to cancel plans that I was looking forward to, including multiple booked vacations, I understand that a little bit of sacrifice on my part won’t kill me. Especially as it pertains to visiting a theme park. I can’t fathom wanting to rush back to perhaps the second most germ-infested place in the country in the middle of this pandemic, but that’s just me. Others have more tolerance for risk.

I understand your feelings, but don’t think it’s necessary to be snarky about it (it reads that way to me, anyways - maybe that wasn’t your intention.) I think everyone stressing over their Disney trips realizes there are others out there with much bigger concerns and others are being inconvenienced too (really, that’s true of pretty much everything all the time). But yes, different people have different tolerances for risk. Those tolerances are being weighed against a bunch of other factors, and it’s complicated.

My trips were not to Disney. We were going to see family and friends in Dallas and we had D.C. booked for this month.

I understand the AP frustration and I would be on the phone with Disney getting the partial refund to recover some of the costs.
Gotcha - sorry for misunderstanding! I’m guessing we will be making that call at some point, just doing the ‘wait and see’ approach for a bit longer. I am curious as to what the pandemic numbers will look like when phased openings start.

Renting points during this pandemic has been awful and a headache. Do not do it unless you’re prepared to lose your money, worst case.

Without getting too OT, the short of it is lots of insurance isn’t covering this (mine personally was made complicated by David’s backing off the no refund policy), and lots of people are being forced into chargebacks if his voucher and new contracts are not to their liking.

Proceed with big time caution. Disney’s flexible policies aren’t replicated by insurance.
I've never rented points just because of the inflexibility of cancelling. My AP discount is usually not much more anyway. This just insures I never will. I don't know how these places survive if they don't relax their refund policies in the future. People are losing thousands of dollars through no fault of their own.

The comments made my blood run cold. I had to get away from Facebook for a while after that.
What I don’t get is don’t you remember in the beginning of this pandemic when the public health officials were repeatedly saying a mask is only appropriate for health care workers in close direct contact with infected people and we should not order n95 masks and none would be beneficial? We all went without masks in their advice for over a month! Now they say wear a cloth not a medical mask even those droplets can get through them! I think this is more of a give the desperate something to make them think they can control an uncontrollable situation and I am mad at myself for not getting the Home Depot shop masks that were n95 when I could have gotten them! We all would have gladly worn masks from the beginning and how many wouldn’t have gotten infected if we had?

We have rented many times and would do it again in a heartbeat. Key thing is to get trip insurance. You can still save a ton of money after paying for the insurance. Davids has links to all the insurance companies that insure trips right on his sight.
Yeah I'm in the never purchasing extra insurance again group. I bought extra that included more medical coverage and trip cancellation and so far no $$.

Guess what - if I booked a cash stay within our budget, I wouldn't have to question and discuss my policy for 6h+ on the phone like I've been doing. I would just go *click* and voila, money back on card.

I've never rented points just because of the inflexibility of cancelling. My AP discount is usually not much more anyway. This just insures I never will. I don't know how these places survive if they don't relax their refund policies in the future. People are losing thousands of dollars through no fault of their own.

Let's face it...In this situation, nobody wins. The renters don't, the owners don't....Disney doesn't. NOBODY could have planned for this.

The thing is that the renters accepted terms, rental contracts etc. I'm an owner and have been a renter and with renting, you get a really good deal compared to cash prices. With that deal comes restrictions that you don't have with a cash reservation. That's because the owner probably has restricted cancellation policies and they may not actually ever become whole if there's an event like this or hurricane, etc.

So it's not about places like these surviving. I hope they do and they will because people want a bargain. It's more about people actually reading the terms they're agreeing to before booking. 99% of the time, per the rental agreements in place "it's not my fault" legally just doesn't fly.

It's more about people actually reading the terms they're agreeing to before booking. 99% of the time, per the rental agreements in place "it's not my fault" legally just doesn't fly.
Wrong. I showed the rental contract to my lawyer, and he explained that the nonrefundable policy means the guest cannot choose to cancel and expect to get a refund. There is no clause in the contract stating that if the resort is closed, making fulfillment of the reservation in any form impossible, that the guest forfeits the money. And that clause would have to be in there for the owner/rental company to have a leg to stand on in court. If you pay someone for a service or product, and they don't deliver anything in return, they owe you the money back. Legally it's a simple concept. "Nonrefundable" never legally means "I got your money, so tough luck if I don't make good on my end of the bargain."

Last edited:
Let's face it...In this situation, nobody wins. The renters don't, the owners don't....Disney doesn't. NOBODY could have planned for this.

The thing is that the renters accepted terms, rental contracts etc. I'm an owner and have been a renter and with renting, you get a really good deal compared to cash prices. With that deal comes restrictions that you don't have with a cash reservation. That's because the owner probably has restricted cancellation policies and they may not actually ever become whole if there's an event like this or hurricane, etc.

So it's not about places like these surviving. I hope they do and they will because people want a bargain. It's more about people actually reading the terms they're agreeing to before booking. 99% of the time, per the rental agreements in place "it's not my fault" legally just doesn't fly.
In most cases I've heard everyone has read the contracts that were in place. Maybe too much at this point. They just weren't specific enough for this situation.

What I don’t get is don’t you remember in the beginning of this pandemic when the public health officials were repeatedly saying a mask is only appropriate for health care workers in close direct contact with infected people and we should not order n95 masks and none would be beneficial? We all went without masks in their advice for over a month! Now they say wear a cloth not a medical mask even those droplets can get through them! I think this is more of a give the desperate something to make them think they can control an uncontrollable situation and I am mad at myself for not getting the Home Depot shop masks that were n95 when I could have gotten them! We all would have gladly worn masks from the beginning and how many wouldn’t have gotten infected if we had?
I think the reason why they were not encouraging people to wear masks is because there wasn’t enough even for the healthcare workers. The number of times that you should change those, requires the need for thousands probably millions of them in the healthcare industry. My daughter works as a nurse, and even though I think everybody agrees that if you’re working even with the potential of coming in contact with a coronavirus patient you should have an N 95 mask. The problem was they did not have enough of those, so nurses had to wear regular ones which do not provide the best protection against getting the virus. I understand everyone’s frustration, but people forget this is much more contagious than the flu and the risk is our healthcare industry gets overrun. Time will tell with the relaxed restrictions what it will lead to.

I understand that and it's exactly why I don't rent. As I said, my AP discount is close enough that I'm willing to pay a little more if I have to, for the guaranteed refund. But I just disagree that if you don't get what you paid for, and you didn't cancel, that you should just be out your money. I'm just glad I'm not in that position and I feel for anyone who has to deal with it. Regardless of how rare this was, buyers are going to be much more leery when making reservations and I have no doubt this will cut into their business. Just out of curiosity, I checked a rental site and it would appear a 5 night rental for a 1 br at Riviera would cost me over 4500. I'm paying $2300 directly through Disney. I double checked to make sure I had dates correct, but that's shocking to me.

Wrong. I showedcthe rental contract to my lawyer, and he explained that the nonrefundable policy means the guest cannot choose to cancel and expect to get a refund. There is no clause in the contract stating that if the resort is closed, making fulfillment of the reservation in any form impossible, that the guest forfeits the money. And that clause would have to be in there for the owner/rental company to have a leg to stand on in court. If you pay someone for a service or product, and they don't deliver anything in return, they owe you the money back. Legally it's a simple concept. "Nonrefundable" never legally means "I got your money, so tough luck if I don't make good on my end of the bargain."

100% agree with this but didn't want to contribute because it is pointless at this point. I too have contacted a lawyer. A contract is a 2 way agreement. You take something and give something. When you take someone's money and aren't able for whatever reason to provide...deliver...whatever... the other part..well then...contract noel and void! Money or whatever was bargained for...refunded..returned.

Wrong. I showedcthe rental contract to my lawyer, and he explained that the nonrefundable policy means the guest cannot choose to cancel and expect to get a refund. There is no clause in the contract stating that if the resort is closed, making fulfillment of the reservation in any form impossible, that the guest forfeits the money. And that clause would have to be in there for the owner/rental company to have a leg to stand on in court. If you pay someone for a service or product, and they don't deliver anything in return, they owe you the money back. Legally it's a simple concept. "Nonrefundable" never legally means "I got your money, so tough luck if I don't make good on my end of the bargain."

Believe me, I understand the point of the renters, but it's all really about deliverability. If a resort is closed, that's one thing. But people who choose to not travel or are afraid of traveling is a completely different thing. Each agreement is different, however, people do actually need to read them before making a purchase. Lets face it, unless you book something that is 100% refundable for any reason, any travel IS a risk.

In my line of work, I see people who aren't reading what they're signing on a daily basis. The excuse is always the same and lately, It's Not My Fault" is the biggest I see. So, my advice is always take time to read that you're agreeing to. If you don't agree, then do not proceed.

Exactly. In order to facilitate living with the virus, opening things back up, and getting back to as normal as we can, we have to be willing to put the work in.

It’s very telling, yet totally unsurprising, that as soon as it became pretty evident Disney was going to be requiring masks in some fashion at least at the very beginning, people got mad. Not just here, online Disney fans in general. And really outside of Disney too, lots of pushback to anything besides dropping restrictions and letting whatever happens happen. Learning to live with it means learning new habits to keep it at bay. It’s a give and take, there will be some (or lots) of inconveniences. It does not mean learning to tolerate people dying and getting sick while I do what I wanna do, which is what I feel some people would really like to see.

Just to share my opinion re the mask issue - I'm not mad at Disney at all, and totally understand where they are coming from - and if we do decide to keep our July trip, we will definitely adhere and wear the masks - that being sad, I honestly worry about ppl wearing masks all day long ( with a break from them, here or there, obviously - ) in the heat - even at 60 degrees, a mask would be extremely uncomfortable if worn for extended periods of time

Again, not mad at all - just upset because I can't see taking my kids to "the happiest place on earth" and watching them be so uncomfortable- my son is on the lower end of the spectrum, and has some sensory issues, and won't even wear it to walk around around the block - his therapist thinks it is probably making him feel claustrophobic -

And as a dad, need to see smiles !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter