Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw LA County did , but haven’t seen California news yet

Hmm..maybe its just LA county so far, saw a post in a disney FB group and said all of CA.

I feel like this is just going to drag on forever, more and more states are tightening restrictions. I live in Florida and so thankful I do now.

Any rumours yet on what will happen with the Halloween parties at both MK and Universal?

Universal especially I can see as being a problem with the huge house queues and the conga lines through the houses. And scare actors have to get right up in peoples faces.

My thoughts is you still will see a bit more restrictions announced here and there over the next few days, just from sheer momentum of the government not getting good info. As the new data is looked at, announcements of plans to start opening up and lessening will occur next week, with a significant amount choosing May 1 for the first phase, elective surgeries and regulars hospital will began to open late next week in regions outside the hotspots, they have to hospitals are having to close or have closed due to lack of patients. I do think most school systems will close for the rest of the school year, back in fall though sad to say.

Last edited:
Any rumours yet on what will happen with the Halloween parties at both MK and Universal?

Universal especially I can see as being a problem with the huge house queues and the conga lines through the houses. And scare actors have to get right up in peoples faces.
Nothing as of yet.

Nobody is advocating we cannot open until there is a vaccine.
Your stance on leaving some modifications in place is a more reasonable one, but there are some "experts" and media advocating that we have to keep things as they are until there's a vaccine, which is not going to be sustainable for the 12-18 months (or more) that it will take before we have a proven vaccine.

ETA: And you need go no further than these forums to find lots of "average" citizens who are shocked and dismayed at the thought of reopening anything before we have a vaccine.

Last edited:

I don’t think there is any way they can open the parks with the same operational style they have right now just because of the way things like park opening/rope drop cause large bottlenecks of people all on top of each other. I know crowds won’t be overwhelmingly high when they first open but I do think they will still have too many people to make it safe to do things the way they always have.

I wonder if they might consider a timed ticket entry to help limit the number of people gathered outside the gates at once. It would require a different pricing structure for sure but I honestly don’t think they can open on June 1 and have the news that evening showing photos of hundreds of people standing on top of each other at the gates. And I know lots of people will say “it is not worth it for me to go at all if I can’t enter until noon even at a lower ticket price” but I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney won’t mind if it keeps some people away because it will help them with the crowd control if park attendance is low at first.

Obviously they want and need the money that comes with a full park but a full park on June 1 is going to be a logistical nightmare for them and not an entirely safe situation for their CMs either. I manage a team that provides front facing customer service in a much, much, much quieter environment than WDW and they are already asking what kind of changes we might implement to create more distance between them and our visitors when we reopen. Cast members obviously want to get back to work but many are not going to want to do it in what feels like it could be an unsafe environment. A slow ramp up makes a lot of sense.

Once inside the parks they can limit capacity inside shows and seat only every other row on rides and count the number of people inside restaurants but there are still a lot of issues and places where it is difficult to control the way crowds gather and that is going to be their biggest issue. They can put all the tape on the ground they want but a percentage of people will unfortunately still do whatever they want especially if it means getting better access to attractions or getting in first. I am sure they are considering a million different options and I am super curious to see what they come up with (and how people respond to it).

I don’t think there is any way they can open the parks with the same operational style they have right now just because of the way things like park opening/rope drop cause large bottlenecks of people all on top of each other. I know crowds won’t be overwhelmingly high when they first open but I do think they will still have too many people to make it safe to do things the way they always have.

I wonder if they might consider a timed ticket entry to help limit the number of people gathered outside the gates at once. It would require a different pricing structure for sure but I honestly don’t think they can open on June 1 and have the news that evening showing photos of hundreds of people standing on top of each other at the gates. And I know lots of people will say “it is not worth it for me to go at all if I can’t enter until noon even at a lower ticket price” but I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney won’t mind if it keeps some people away because it will help them with the crowd control if park attendance is low at first.

Obviously they want and need the money that comes with a full park but a full park on June 1 is going to be a logistical nightmare for them and not an entirely safe situation for their CMs either. I manage a team that provides front facing customer service in a much, much, much quieter environment than WDW and they are already asking what kind of changes we might implement to create more distance between them and our visitors when we reopen. Cast members obviously want to get back to work but many are not going to want to do it in what feels like it could be an unsafe environment. A slow ramp up makes a lot of sense.

Once inside the parks they can limit capacity inside shows and seat only every other row on rides and count the number of people inside restaurants but there are still a lot of issues and places where it is difficult to control the way crowds gather and that is going to be their biggest issue. They can put all the tape on the ground they want but a percentage of people will unfortunately still do whatever they want especially if it means getting better access to attractions or getting in first. I am sure they are considering a million different options and I am super curious to see what they come up with (and how people respond to it).

They will not do all that no need , also can you imagine how a half full park will feel, it will be dead, no energy not a great experience at all. Yes lines will be shorter but the Disney excitement comes form the crowds to large degree.

Sooner than later we will realize the virus isn’t as contagious or as bad as was originally thought. Don’t get me wrong it is horrible and super deadly to people with high risk factors etc. however it does not warrant all of these changes to the park experience. There will be a few, more hand cleaning stations and maybe masks inthe queues , buses for a while but nothing much more

Masks not only stop what's in the air though, they help stop you touching your own face after you have touched all those other surfaces you mentioned.

In 99 degree humid heat as sweat is pouring down your face...it really won't matter what anyone's wearing - they are touching their faces, pouring water over their heads, putting their hands through their hair, etc:)...

Just wanted to make sure we understand FL summer...it might be why September is the "worst case" date for an MK reopen...at least waiting til schools are back in session and the heat lets up "just" a touch (October would be better:)...

Even if it was ok, not sure why at this point schools would even bother to go back. By this time of the year a lot of schools are getting ready to wrap up semesters anyway. Just don't see the point. Just wait til Fall to start fresh.
Our governor cancelled schools until may 1 for now. He said he wanted to leave the possibility for us to go back at the end of the year if conditions allowed it. At this point though, I don’t believe we will go back. Our cases are still escalating slowly, which is what we want but it draws out the whole process.

They will not do all that no need , also can you imagine how a half full park will feel, it will be dead, no energy not a great experience at all. Yes lines will be shorter but the Disney excitement comes form the crowds to large degree.

Sooner than later we will realize the virus isn’t as contagious or as bad as was originally thought. Don’t get me wrong it is horrible and super deadly to people with high risk factors etc. however it does not warrant all of these changes to the park experience. There will be a few, more hand cleaning stations and maybe masks inthe queues , buses for a while but nothing much more

I think whenever things reopen (and I want them to!) it is going to be a long while before a lot of people feel “excitement” from a large crowd and not at least a mild sense of apprehension. And viruses aside, some of my favorite WDW experiences have come in quieter times so 🤷🏻‍♀️.

Also a study released just this week seems to indicate that the virus could be twice as contagious as previously thought so I am not sure why you keep saying we are going to find out it is less contagious than everyone thinks?

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article

Also a study released just this week seems to indicate that the virus could be twice as contagious as previously thought so I am not sure why you keep saying we are going to find out it is less contagious than everyone thinks?

Because some people are like the Ozzy song... Which in all seriousness if you listen to the lyrics is actually a highly appropriate song.

yeah, I’d pay 10x more to have a half filled park experience. There Is absolutely no joy and excitement having to fight your way through thousands of aimlessly wandering people to get to a ride you want to ride and then have to wait 75 minutes to ride it.

Part of what makes the Disney experience so magical for me is seeing kids having a great time (the tantrums not so much) but half as many super-excited, high-on-Disney kids would be just as magical too.

I think whenever things reopen (and I want them to!) it is going to be a long while before a lot of people feel “excitement” from a large crowd and not at least a mild sense of apprehension. And viruses aside, some of my favorite WDW experiences have come in quieter times so 🤷🏻‍♀️.

That is a pre print/Non peer reviewed study just based on Wuhan data , that is why

Oh I get it on crowd levels, I have been to many of the extra hour parties where the park is empty that is great , because it is unique and I hate the lines etc etc.

But once 50% capacity is the standard, people are going to complain that it is not the same Disney experience, not worth it, place felt dead, should be open like this, no fun etc. You even saw those compaints during the extra parties on slow nights. HAving that be the standard level of expericence is something Disney will stay far away from. Posters in this thread are already saying that, not going for a halfway experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter