• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Crowd level early December?

Minni3m3

Earning My Ears
We are planning a last minute trip for December, I notice that the beginning of the month there is little availability for standard rooms. Is there an event happening that week?
I know it's going to be busy, but are there certain times in December the parks are historically less busy? I was thinking crowd level might be lower just prior to, and on Christmas Eve and day.

Historically, crowds are a little lower during the first two weeks of December than they are earlier in the fall. They get higher once schools start holiday vacations, which will be December 15 in my part of Texas. Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the week between Christmas Day and New Year's Day are historically the weeks with the highest attendance of the year.

Really? I was thinking the earlier part of the month might be busier as I'm seeing less resort availability vs dates closer to mid late December. Thank you! I've never been during Christmas, so really have no idea.

We go every year at this time. Usually around the 4th to the 5th of December. This year it is the 5th -12th. Crowds are really good. We always go to the MK on a party day and have low crowds, we avoid Epcot on the weekends and enjoy the storytelling, all in all a great week to go.

Just an FYI-first 2 weeks of Dec are historically very high DVC times.
used to be Pop Warner season. It’s hosted elsewhere now but Disney had it for awhile so maybe it weirdly inflated general demand in Orlando for that time period?

@Minni3m3 what do you mean “standard”? Values? “Standard” rooms at deluxes? My suspicion is values are more in demand due to the high pricing + early pulling of general public discounts. If it’s a standard room at a Deluxe you want good luck. The introduction of the Resort category took a lot of those rooms out of play.

No matter what I would call Disney and ask what’s available. Their website sometimes fails to show all the rooms so no harm in inquiring direct!

Last edited:

used to be Pop Warner season. It’s hosted elsewhere now but Disney had it for awhile so maybe it weirdly inflated general demand in Orlando for that time period?

@Minni3m3 what do you mean “standard”? Values? “Standard” rooms at deluxes? My suspicion is values are more in demand due to the high pricing + early pulling of general public discounts. If it’s a standard room at a Deluxe you want good luck. The introduction of the Resort category took a lot of those rooms out of play.

No matter what I would call Disney and ask what’s available. Their website sometimes fails to show all the rooms so no harm in inquiring direct!
Standard moderates is what I'm seeing little of early December. Values as well, my preference was for a moderate though for dates I was looking at. I did try to call Disney to see if there was anything available other than what I was seeing on the site. Unfortunately, we missed the boat for room discounts.

First two weeks of December are not so bad. Christmas day has the record attendance, and often the parks are restricted entry.

We have gone to WDW the end of November and beginning of December several times, including an upcoming trip in just a few weeks. Magic Kingdom is always extremely crowded on the non-party days, especially at night, because there are so many Christmas parties that close the park at night. We will be at WDW for four nights and there are three MK parties during our trip. That leaves one night that MK is open for us, as well as thousands of other guests. The only good thing is that MK is less crowded on party days because so many non-party guests avoid MK on those days.

But WDW is very busy the entire month of December. People are usually surprised that it is so busy in early December, but that is when the resort room rates are at their lowest price for the month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter