Crockpot and Easy Meals "Index post 372"

anyone have a crockpot recipe for broccoli cheese soup, tomato florintine soup and french onion soup....?

Does anyone know if this is regular mustard or dry mustard???

Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
Serves 8

2 pounds ground chicken, turkey or beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup ketchup
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons mustard
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
Hamburger buns

1. In a heavy skillet, brown ground chicken with onion and garlic. Drain off excess fat.

2. Combine ketchup, bell pepper, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, and chili powder in slow cooker. Stir in ground beef mixture. Cover and cook on low setting for 7 to 9 hours.

3. Serve spooned over hamburger buns

Does anyone know about the mustard? I want to make this.

Does anyone know about the mustard? I want to make this.

This wasn't my recipe, so I don't know for sure, but I'd guess by the amount that it is probably regular mustard. Most recipes that I use dry mustard in are a smaller amount.

But again, that is just my guess.

This wasn't my recipe, so I don't know for sure, but I'd guess by the amount that it is probably regular mustard. Most recipes that I use dry mustard in are a smaller amount.

But again, that is just my guess.

I would say the same thing. 2T of dry mustard is quite a lot!:)

To whoever revived this thank you I need to pull out my crock pot it hasn't been used in over a year.

Thank you for the index on page 372, I just copied some recipes. It sure was easy to navigate through the recipes easily. I love to use my crock pot, such a simple way to cook. I don't welcome the cooler weather, but do enjoy the change in the meal planning.

Wow! So many great ideas. Since the weather is getting cooler, looking forward to trying some of these. :)

I'm new to the crockpotting thing thanks to a friend who recommended making my own applesauce. Just peel and cube 10-15 apples and let them cook on low for 4-5 hours. Makes the best and sweetest applesauce with no added anything! awesome! I have tried a couple of the other chicken recipes and have the honey chicken one in the crockpot right now! Look forward to seeing more recipes added now that the colder months are coming :goodvibes

Glad to see this thread has been seeing some action lately. I don't have a recipe to share, but wanted to comment, since I have enjoyed a few of the recipes here.

For those of you who are having trouble with overcooking in your crockpot, here is my experience.....

I took my large crockpot on vacation with us this summer (cottage on the lake in Maine.... not a Value resort at Disney! ;) ). Anyhow, I've had this cooker (Rival slow cooker with 4 different heat settings plus warm) for a few years now and have used it many, many times without any trouble.

I wanted to make a crockpot French toast recipe for our group. I had made it at home a few times with good success. Anyhow, I got the ingredients into the crockpot and set it to go at bedtime. I woke up at 2 am to the smell of something burning and went down to find the french toast burned BLACK and smoking inside the crockpot. This happened on low in under 4 hours! It took me lots of elbow grease, etc to get the burned stuff off and I had to make a 5 am dash to a local store to buy ingredients to make traditional french toast for breakfast! I couldn't understand it.

A few days later I was making breakfast for the group again... this time it was steel cut oats in the same crockpot. I've made it many, many times without trouble. Again, I woke in the night and decided to check it.... it was quite done in just a few hours.... but at least not burned. So I turned it to warm for the remainder of the night.... but it was still crusty around the edges in the morning.

By the end of our week at this cottage, we started realizing that other electrical appliances seemed to work very "fast".... toast was done in NO TIME FLAT! Coffee pot seemed to perk hot and fast. We decided that all of this issues were related and probably had something to do with the electrical feed to the house.... especially once we blew a fuse a few times.

So for those of you who are experiencing troubles with your crockpot cooking too fast and/or too hot, you might have something similar going on at home. You might have to adjust recipes to cook shorter and/or lower.

Just my little FYI! Thanks to all who have shared some great recipes here!................P

Taking a shot here......

I made the French Onion soup recipe from this thread yesterday and was hoping that either the OP or someone else could help. The soup was waaay too sweet and I presume I used the wrong kind/type of wine. I used a traditional marsala wine... is there a less sweet/drier type I should have used? And for the white wine I used a Cupcake sauvingnon blanc. Was that too sweet?

Other than the sweetness I think it was a decent recipe and would like to try it again.............P

Taking a shot here......

I made the French Onion soup recipe from this thread yesterday and was hoping that either the OP or someone else could help. The soup was waaay too sweet and I presume I used the wrong kind/type of wine. I used a traditional marsala wine... is there a less sweet/drier type I should have used? And for the white wine I used a Cupcake sauvingnon blanc. Was that too sweet?

Other than the sweetness I think it was a decent recipe and would like to try it again.............P
For French onion soup I'd use a dry sherry wine and for the white wine I'd use a dry Chardonnay. And if I was making it on the stove I'd deglaze the pot after the onions with a congac or brandy.

gandycat said:
Some of our favorites:

Chicken Stroganoff

You can also add Salsa (instead of onion soup mix) to this and it makes a nice filling for enchiladas.)

6 boneless chicken breasts (I use the frozen ones and it works fine)
1 large container sour cream (16 oz)
1 can cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup
1 package Lipton's dry onion soup mix

Place all ingredients on crockpot. Cook on low 4-6 hours.

Serve over noodles or rice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thai Pork for Crockpot

One 2 lb boneless pork loin, trimmed of fat and cut into 4 pieces
2 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
1/3 cup prepared teriyaki sauce (I used Tastefully Simple or Trader Joe's)
2 Tbs rice vinegar
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

For serving:
1/2 cup chopped green onion (white part and some of the green)
1/4 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
2 limes, cut into 8 wedges

1. Coat the slow cooker w/ non stick spray. Put the pork, peppers, teriyaki suace, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes and garlic into cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours, until pork is fork tender.

2. Remove the pork from the cooker and coarsley chop. Add the peanut butter to the liquid in cooker; stir well to dissolove the peanut butter and blend with the liquid to make the sauce. Return the pork to the sauce and toss to coat the meat evenly.

3. Serve in shalllow bowls over hot jasimine rice, and sprinkle each serving w/ some of hte green onions and peanuts. Pass the lime wedges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not crockpot but easy:

Braised Balsamic Chicken
Submitted by: Beth
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 344 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes Ready In: 30 Minutes
Yields: 6 servings

"Rich, slightly sweet Balsamic vinegar intensifies the flavors of tomato and herbs in this chicken saute."

I always use 2 cans of tomatoes when I make this:

INGREDIENTS:
6 skinless, boneless chicken
breast halves
ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced
tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

DIRECTIONS:
1. Season chicken breasts with ground black pepper and garlic salt. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet, and brown the onion and seasoned chicken breasts.
2. Pour tomatoes and balsamic vinegar over chicken, and season with basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme. Simmer until chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 15 minutes.

This recipe appears in the Allrecipes "Tried & True Favorites" cookbook. Buy it online at http://allrecipes.com/favorites/
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2005 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 6/20/2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thai Peanut Noodles with Chicken

half a bag of matchstick carrots
1 can of chicken broth
1 lb of spaghetti
1 jar of chicken gravy
4-5 heaping TBS of creamy peanut butter or to taste
2 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into pieces

(I also added cooked snap peas, you could add other veggies or omit the chicken)

First make your chicken (just pan fry and cut up). I used frozen grilled chicken strips from Costco. I usually put the water on for the pasta now too.

Next, cook the carrots in the chicken broth until tender. While they are cooking, heat the gravy and peanut butter until smooth (a wisk works well). You can add about 1/2 to 1 cup of chicken broth from the carrots to smooth it out to the consistency you like. When the pasta is done, toss with the sauce, carrots and chicken. This was great as a leftover too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ground Beef Curry

This is the original recipe, but I change some things. I addetwo cans of tomatoes and about 3/4 of a can of light coconut milk. It was really yummy with slivered almonds and shredded coconut on top.

Ground Beef "N" Curry
Recipe by : Minneapolis Star Tribune

Ingredients :
1 clove garlic
2-3 tsp. curry powder
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 Tab. butter or margarine
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 tsp. salt
2 juicy tomatoes, diced or
1-14oz can stewed tomatoes
2 cups cooked rice
Assorted condiments

Instructions :
Sauté garlic, and onion in butter , then add ground beef. Brown until red disappears. Add seasonings and tomatoes (break up if canned tomatoes are used). Heat thoroughly. Serve over rice with condiments.

Serves 4-6.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bruschetta Chicken Bake

Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 40 min
Makes: 6 servings

1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained

1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken

1/2 cup water

2 cloves garlic, minced

1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces

1 tsp. dried basil leaves

1 cup KRAFT Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Place tomatoes with their liquid in medium bowl. Add stuffing mix, water and garlic; stir just until stuffing mix is moistened. Set aside.

PLACE chicken in 13x9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with the basil and cheese. Top with the stuffing mixture.

BAKE 30 min. or until chicken is cooked through.

Yum!yum

Chicken Breast
Hawaiian dressing (I used Lawry's marinade)
Can of Crushed Pineapples (don't drain)
(adjust dressing and pineapple, depending on how much chicken you have
for 5/6 big pcs, use whole bottle of dressing and whole can of pineapples)

Cook on low (4-5 hrs depending on thickness of chicken)
Shred, serve over rice.

crockpot barbecue chicken

4-6 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts (I threw them in frozen... even easier!)
1 bottle BBQ sauce (sweet baby ray's all the way!)
1/4 c vinegar
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 - 1 tsp. garlic powder

Mix BBQ sauce with all ingredients listed under it. Place chicken in crockpot. pour sauce over it and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.

I shred the chicken breasts after 4 hours but you don't have to. This is delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter