• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Craziest table mates you have had.

i thought so too. had same doubts about the realborn babies until someone posted a youtube vid.. and then my jaw dropped.
a youtube vid with poopy pants drunken dad would add veracity to the story.:rotfl:

I had doubts about the babies too. Yes. The video reaction was jaw dropping, eyebrow raising, and mind boggling. How can a person function and be that out of touch with reality? Very disturbing.

I agree, a video about PPDD would give credibility to the story.

I'm not going to turn my experience into a debate about religion. I shared the discomfort I felt having done the polite thing by holding their hands during grace. I would feel perfectly comfortable if the hand-holding was not part of the equation. It was just one of my personal hang-ups. ;)

And anyone can be a jerk, regardless of how religious one is or isn't. I don't hold their religion against their behavior. I hold their behavior against them only.

It was even more awkward for me because I had been on a 3 night cruise, and my first night was dinner at Remy. So I didn't meet them until the second night. The crap hit the fan that night, and it was just weird. I always sat next to the other couple who were at this table, so I did have a half of my tablemates who were lovely people. We ended up on the van ride back to WDW after the cruise, and we had a big chuckle about the nasty people.

Sorry -- I absolutely did not mean that as a "religious" comment or debate. I was only saying their behavior didn't match. We pray before meals, but to ourselves and quietly. We've all had bad days with servers, etc. -- I just felt bad that such a big deal was made for the poor server. In 9 Disney cruises, we've seen our shocking demonstration of behavior from kids to adults to seniors. That one minute of bad behavior is probably a blip in their vacation memory, but boy does it make for some great stories for the rest of us down the line :lmao:

For the prayers and blessers then: what do you expect of your tablemates when you say your peace when the food comes? Are they to stop what they're doing, not eat, and be quiet? Or can they carry as they normally would? Curious.

Anyway ... we were not seated with these people, but next to them: they brought their stuffed bear to dinner (huge stuffed bear) and had a place setting for the bear. And a dinner plate ordered for the bear. And once sent back the dinner because bear didn't like it. Bring your bear to dinner, fine. But why waste food ... on a stuffed bear? They would cut the food for the bear and everything.

I don't expect them to stop what they're doing or even acknowledge us. It's just a matter a few seconds and done. It makes us happy, but we certainly do not wish to make others uncomfortable. We don't reach for strangers hands or talk out loud or even mumble. It's just a quiet thank you prayer and on with the food ;)

As for the bear story -- ummmm, WOW :confused: I can't believe the server even went along with that -- what a waste of food!

Thanks for all, that say they don't have a problems with my problems. I'm happy that I'm alive. I was in a traffic accident when I was 16, and broke my neck and I got bleedings in my brain, so 8% of my brain is not working. I have autism, have problems with my legs after a cancer vaccine, have problems with my body (after an accident when I was 2, that make me paralyze for 6 months and because of that too, I have 40% hearing back). But I'm alive, have a partner that loves me, and a dog (can't have kids after I lost one when I was 24 weeks pregnant) that we love.

For the prayers and blessers then: what do you expect of your tablemates when you say your peace when the food comes? Are they to stop what they're doing, not eat, and be quiet? Or can they carry as they normally would? Curious.

Personally speaking of my own opinion, my blessing doesn't need to have any consequence to others. If someone wants to ignore it, they can. If someone wants to pause (the only reason I assume would be to say their own?? I don't know) I suppose they could. But I don't really expect anyone to pause or anything.

This happens commonly at work place lunches etc. I bowed my head and silently said my own once, and then one of the other ladies suggested that the boss say a blessing for the entire table. I was happy because I had said my own anyway :) and I guess it encouraged them to all stop and pray, but that certainly wasn't my suggestion. Seeing as Secretary's Day is coming up, I'm sure we will face the same thing again this year at lunch...

Then again, I'm in good ol' Kentucky and prayers are common here, even at my (<---- MY) place of employment when someone gets ill, etc. I guess I'm blessed all ways around! :)

Anyway, the short answer: carry-on, however you would like! At least, if we are tablemates! :thumbsup2

Thanks for all, that say they don't have a problems with my problems. I'm happy that I'm alive. I was in a traffic accident when I was 16, and broke my neck and I got bleedings in my brain, so 8% of my brain is not working. I have autism, have problems with my legs after a cancer vaccine, have problems with my body (after an accident when I was 2, that make me paralyze for 6 months and because of that too, I have 40% hearing back). But I'm alive, have a partner that loves me, and a dog (can't have kids after I lost one when I was 24 weeks pregnant) that we love.

:lovestruc :( :grouphug: Doggies can offer lots of love! ::yes::

These stories have worried me enough that I have called Disney and asked for a table of four for our family. I love meeting new people but our next trip is a TA and the thought of being put in difficult situations or two weeks is pretty scary.

We just got off the Magic today and had AWESOME table mates! They had two boys that were the same ages as our boys. They were fun and we hung out with them quite a bit!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We just got off the Magic today and had AWESOME table mates! They had two boys that were the same ages as our boys. They were fun and we hung out with them quite a bit!

We really enjoyed our table mates on the Magic as well...no weird stories to share, thank goodness...their kids matched ours in age and gender, and the parents seemed about the same age as DH and me. We had a lot in common with them and did not mind being paired with another family. I am now a little nervous about future cruises after reading some of these posts, though!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We really enjoyed our table mates on the Magic as well...no weird stories to share, thank goodness...their kids matched ours in age and gender, and the parents seemed about the same age as DH and me. We had a lot in common with them and did not mind being paired with another family. I am now a little nervous about future cruises after reading some of these posts, though! Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We even had a picture made with all of us!

Canadian Girl said:
These stories have worried me enough that I have called Disney and asked for a table of four for our family. I love meeting new people but our next trip is a TA and the thought of being put in difficult situations or two weeks is pretty scary.

You are me. We are a party of four and almost always ask to sit alone. We haven't had any real horror stories, but no real pleasant ones either. I want to relax and enjoy dinner with my family, not have to try to make small talk with strangers. We were once seated with a family of adults with teen children when my kids were toddlers, they took one look at us and refused to sit down lol. Twice we've had families that didn't speak English, and another time a family who showed up at least half an hour late every night and our servers had us wait for them to order...etc. One family took all the chairs on one side of the table so we were lined up facing them. Knowing we are sitting by ourselves takes a lot of stress out of our trip.

I will go on my first cruise in June and I'm getting worried if i should seat with others :(

I will go on my first cruise in June and I'm getting worried if i should seat with others :(

It depends on a lot of things, luck of the draw being the biggest. Also depends on how well you can deal with others behaviors. Some of the stories on here are super crazy that no one would want to deal with and would switch out tables at the first opportunity. Let's hope you don't get that.

If you can make the best of any situation you will be fine, in our 9 cruises we only had one set that made things uncomfortable, but we found ways to deal with it and joked around about it on the nights they weren't there, essentially turning a negative into something a little bit fun. Hearing that others have found cruising buddies through table mates I would say the risk is worth the reward. Worst case you have to switch tables.

Cgolf

Our tablemates on our last cruise were wonderful - we were two friends who are ex-cast members and we were sat with 2 couples of a similar age who also happened to be ex-cast members. We got on so well, we shared several bottles of champagne throughout the cruise!

I know that DCL try to keep cast members together so that they don't let slip any Disney secrets to other guests but it surprised me that they somehow knew we had all worked for the mouse, despite not having done for a few years!

Our next cruise (this year's WBTA) tablemates have a lot to live up to!

I know there are a lot of scary stories here on this thread...and I have enjoyed reading them. Sometimes I think I even had tears coming down my face from laughing so hard!

I just wanted to add...on a positive note...we have had excellent table mates 99% of the time. Some of my past table mates have stayed in contact with us...some even helped transport us from the port to Aulani one time (big thanks to them!) and so many others we just thoroughly enjoyed our time on ship with them. We have run into previous table mates on other cruises and we chat away as if we have been long time friends. I may be drinking the Disney Kool Aid but I think most of the folks who choose Disney Cruise Lines are good people and fun to get to know.

I understand why these stories may make some folks shy away from table mates but honestly you may be missing out on meeting many truly outstanding folks. I don't have any plans from backing away from having table mates...and 'if' I find myself in a bizarre situation I trust Disney they will accommodate my request to move.

I don't expect them to stop what they're doing or even acknowledge us. It's just a matter a few seconds and done. It makes us happy, but we certainly do not wish to make others uncomfortable. We don't reach for strangers hands or talk out loud or even mumble. It's just a quiet thank you prayer and on with the food ;)

As long as you don't want me to hold hands with you while you say grace, I'd be happy to sit with you. :lmao:

I forgot to mention that on my last cruise, I was traveling with a couple of friends. Three single adult women show up at a large 8 top, and then see a group of Brits get VERY upset that they had to share a table with STRANGERS! :scared1:

Granted, they had a baby with them, so part of me was ok with them moving to another table. There were quite a few empty tables that sailing, making it easier for them to get their own table. The downside was that the three of us wanted tablemates, but we ended up by ourselves at a huge table.

For the most part, I've had very good luck with assigned tablemates when I haven't pre-arranged linked dining. I think the only times things have gone somewhat awry were when I tried to make some sort of special request to the dining. On two occasions, I was in a cabin linked with another and placed a request to "dine with other adults" and on both occasions my group (actually the 3 mentioned in the post above, and then 4 on a different cruise) arrived to find we were sharing a table with a family that had an infant. On the first Hawaii cruise I was sharing a cabin with a friend and had put in a request for a server. Well, we got the server but we were also given a table all to ourselves because the dining rooms were so sparsely populated.
Sure I've met some interesting characters. But I do comedy, so I just consider it to be a source of material.

That said, I must admit that I've been reading this thread to see if anyone's referenced me as their craziest tablemate.

That said, I must admit that I've been reading this thread to see if anyone's referenced me as their craziest tablemate.

Well this one time, I did have this rather strange girl sitting with me at Palo Brunch. ;)

~~~~

My party has been seated alone for two of my 3 cruises. We also will be seated alone for our Sept 2014 cruise. On our trip on the Dream in Feb 2010, my husband & I were placed with a mother & daughter but the mother didn't speak English so it was strange more for a communication gap than any other reason.

For the most part, I've had very good luck with assigned tablemates when I haven't pre-arranged linked dining. I think the only times things have gone somewhat awry were when I tried to make some sort of special request to the dining. On two occasions, I was in a cabin linked with another and placed a request to "dine with other adults" and on both occasions my group (actually the 3 mentioned in the post above, and then 4 on a different cruise) arrived to find we were sharing a table with a family that had an infant. On the first Hawaii cruise I was sharing a cabin with a friend and had put in a request for a server. Well, we got the server but we were also given a table all to ourselves because the dining rooms were so sparsely populated.
Sure I've met some interesting characters. But I do comedy, so I just consider it to be a source of material.

Okay. I have to ask. What is that little food item on your plate? I imagine it cost a lot because it's fully dressed. Love the quarter comparison! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter