Craziest table mates you have had.

No more table mates for us after being matched with the last family we got stuck with. The mom had no teeth, seriously, no teeth, and she was in her forties, not an old lady. I mean, you can afford a cruise for 5, but you can't get your teeth fixed? The rest of the family was cut from the same cloth, muscle T-shirt on Dad in Royal Court -gross.

Needless to say our first stop after sail away dinner was guest services. They were awesome - moved us to our own table way across the room from our old table to avoid any awkward encounters. To this day we have no idea if they knew we asked to be moved.

Since then we always request a table to our selves. We like it so much better, makes for a more relaxing dinner after a busy day than having to make small talk from soup to dessert with another family. Works for us.

No more table mates for us after being matched with the last family we got stuck with. The mom had no teeth, seriously, no teeth, and she was in her forties, not an old lady. I mean, you can afford a cruise for 5, but you can't get your teeth fixed? The rest of the family was cut from the same cloth, muscle T-shirt on Dad in Royal Court -gross.

Needless to say our first stop after sail away dinner was guest services. They were awesome - moved us to our own table way across the room from our old table to avoid any awkward encounters. To this day we have no idea if they knew we asked to be moved.

Since then we always request a table to our selves. We like it so much better, makes for a more relaxing dinner after a busy day than having to make small talk from soup to dessert with another family. Works for us.

Sorry you had a bad time, that really bites

I hope that people at our table can take us (me). I have autism, so someday or something can be difficult for me. We are Danes, but we will almost only speak English at the table, as we would find it rude if, people talk a language we couldn't understand. I will only talk Danish at the table, if there's something I can't understand or say. I have a bad hearing, and I have problems with my body, so I often spill food on me, or only use a fork. But we are nice people, and trying not to hurt people's fillings

You would be more than welcome to sit with us, we have a little boy with Autisum so you would be the perfect table mate for us :) he is only 6 and very much socially delayed still toddlerish in his behaviours and it would be fab for our older son to see an adult with Autisum living a normal life ! And hay I have no coordination issues and my cleavage still eats more than me some days lol

We had a good match up on our first cruise although I'm sure the other family wondered at first. My ex husband was a tattoo artist so I have a lot of ink and I always see those "looks" when we meet someone new. My current husband and kids don't even notice it anymore, I'm just mom! After the other family found out we both work for the federal government in a federal prison (instead of belonging in one, hehehe) I have my masters degree in criminal justice, am the head of the education committee at our church, etc, etc, they relaxed and we had a great cruise. Just hope our WBPC dinner seating goes the same! Can't judge a book..... :)

You would be more than welcome to sit with us, we have a little boy with Autisum so you would be the perfect table mate for us :) he is only 6 and very much socially delayed still toddlerish in his behaviours and it would be fab for our older son to see an adult with Autisum living a normal life ! And hay I have no coordination issues and my cleavage still eats more than me some days lol

As a special ed teacher, I would love to sit with you and meet your son.

I don't mind cleavage either, so we would be a perfect match! :crowded:

Crayons on the tablecloth seems to be acceptable in the DCL MDRs as we'll. on three of out cruises it was the waiters or head server who started the kids colouring the tablecloth! Apparently the crayons they use are specially washable. On the last cruise, my dd10 started the colouring. She got her table mate (10) into it as well, drawing pictures of the food they were going to order. The servers loved it, and joined in. The head server came by, feigned shock, saying "the laundry men are not going to be happy", then broke into a big grin. Every night he added his own artwork to what the girls were drawing!

Oh I completely agree...on the Dream in October last year, the head server encouraged our 5 yr old to draw on the tablecloths in Enchanted Garden...he had a blast...kept him busy...the rest of the dinners, the waiters would come over to see Brody's artwork :)

I have enjoyed lurking on this subject. I now have to put my 2 cents in.

Our first cruise was on the Pacific Princess, The Original Love Boat, in 1986. We were placed at a table with 3 other couples. One of the couples have their late twenties daughter with them. The average age of the cruisers on the ship exceeded 50+ years old. The daughter was the only single female on board below the age of 50. We therefore had the Cruise Director hanging around out table the whole cruise making an effort to have some companionship. We did enjoy several bottles of wine courtesy of the CD. How times have changed.

We were on DCL for the week my DD was to turn 5. We were sitting alone at our table, an 8 top, the first night, when this women starts to scream at the top of her lungs. We look up realize she is glaring at us and yelling that she requested that no other children were allowed at their table. Her child had a nut allergy and of course my child would smear peanut butter on her child. The Head Waiter came to us and asked if we would be willing to move and, of course, we did. The rest of the cruise we had a great time with our new table mates. We did at times plot to leave peanut butter on the other table.:rotfl2::cool1:

My DD(16) now look forward to meeting new people at our table and always chose to sit a large table. We occasionally have less than pleasant people tablemates. But many times we have met great people who enjoy cruising. If we see people on the ship that are obnoxious, we take watch them as part of the entertainment that cruising offers.

If anyone allows other people interfere with their enjoyment of their traveling, you might as well stop traveling. Just remember how much fun others have had when you have related your tablemate’s antics on this board. Just enjoy it as part of the experience.

We had a good match up on our first cruise although I'm sure the other family wondered at first. My ex husband was a tattoo artist so I have a lot of ink and I always see those "looks" when we meet someone new. My current husband and kids don't even notice it anymore, I'm just mom! After the other family found out we both work for the federal government in a federal prison (instead of belonging in one, hehehe) I have my masters degree in criminal justice, am the head of the education committee at our church, etc, etc, they relaxed and we had a great cruise. Just hope our WBPC dinner seating goes the same! Can't judge a book..... :)

:thumbsup2 My cousin is a very sweet man and loving father. And he was on that show Ink Master! ;)

I've been reading through this thread and thought I would add my own stories to it. I actually had to search the dis to find where I had originally posted them.

So here are my experiences traveling solo on DCL

First cruise (4 Night Disney Wonder 2006)- I was seated with a family for the first night it was kind of awkward for myself and them, when I came to the dinning room the second night of my 4 night cruise the head server informed me that the people had changed to another rotation and I was being moved to another table, this time it had a mother and daughter on a trip together and another couple of older ladies I think. Conversation that night and after that was a lot less awkward and more comfortable even though I was the only Guy at the table.

Second cruise (14 Night Transatlantic 2007) - I was sat at a table with two families both with one child. One was an older couple who were retired airline controllers and they had there adopted 12 year old son with them. The other couple also had a 12 year old son with them too. No problems really except there was on night were I think they had a late tour or decide to go to the buffet restaurant that night, I end up at the table alone which was ok.

Third Cruise (15 night Panama Canal Cruise 2008) - I was in a group of people I know from another message board. Some things worked out well others not so well. There were some problems with the arrangement of the tables the first night because of some problems with shore side, apparently the shore side dinning manager quit after another group got to demanding or something like that. The serving team had some problems the first night, but then when don’t they on the first night really. Some of the people at the table I was at got really annoying with special requests they were making things like Cheese from Palo every night at the start of dinner and with desert, crème brules every night for two people, chicken wings that they used to have on the parrot cay menu every night, banana bread every night. The head server one night had to go all the way across the ship one night to get some chicken wings form the sports bar. After all this you would except these people to be grateful, well one night the head server came over to find out how things were going and they just about dragged her and the serving team over the coals, I wanted to crawl under the table after that and hide. The next night since there was an extra seat at one of our other table’s because someone was having some family issues, I joined them, for the rest of the cruise. Also two of the people reduced the tip they had prepaid by half, so when the rest of us found out about that we all over tipped by a lot to make up for them.

The last couple of nights were fine as some of the real problems at that table had Palo reservations the last two nights.

I've been reading through this thread and thought I would add my own stories to it. I actually had to search the dis to find where I had originally posted them.

So here are my experiences traveling solo on DCL

First cruise (4 Night Disney Wonder 2006)- I was seated with a family for the first night it was kind of awkward for myself and them, when I came to the dinning room the second night of my 4 night cruise the head server informed me that the people had changed to another rotation and I was being moved to another table, this time it had a mother and daughter on a trip together and another couple of older ladies I think. Conversation that night and after that was a lot less awkward and more comfortable even though I was the only Guy at the table.

Second cruise (14 Night Transatlantic 2007) - I was sat at a table with two families both with one child. One was an older couple who were retired airline controllers and they had there adopted 12 year old son with them. The other couple also had a 12 year old son with them too. No problems really except there was on night were I think they had a late tour or decide to go to the buffet restaurant that night, I end up at the table alone which was ok.

Third Cruise (15 night Panama Canal Cruise 2008) - I was in a group of people I know from another message board. Some things worked out well others not so well. There were some problems with the arrangement of the tables the first night because of some problems with shore side, apparently the shore side dinning manager quit after another group got to demanding or something like that. The serving team had some problems the first night, but then when don’t they on the first night really. Some of the people at the table I was at got really annoying with special requests they were making things like Cheese from Palo every night at the start of dinner and with desert, crème brules every night for two people, chicken wings that they used to have on the parrot cay menu every night, banana bread every night. The head server one night had to go all the way across the ship one night to get some chicken wings form the sports bar. After all this you would except these people to be grateful, well one night the head server came over to find out how things were going and they just about dragged her and the serving team over the coals, I wanted to crawl under the table after that and hide. The next night since there was an extra seat at one of our other table’s because someone was having some family issues, I joined them, for the rest of the cruise. Also two of the people reduced the tip they had prepaid by half, so when the rest of us found out about that we all over tipped by a lot to make up for them.

The last couple of nights were fine as some of the real problems at that table had Palo reservations the last two nights.

OMG -- I find this kind of haughty behavior deplorable. There isn't enough on the menu each night that suits someone that they have to have the servers running relays to get extra food not being served !?! And then after that to still cut the tip instead of offering extra -- just ignorant. Yes, I know you can request something from a menu that is being served in another restaurant the same night, but for them to have to run to the sports bar to meet the person's demands is just unnecessary.

On that same subject, on one of our cruises we mentioned (not requested), just mentioned that one of my daughter's favorite menu items was the banana bread. OMG -- the server ended up not only bringing baskets of banana bread every night, but even had it delivered to our room on the nights we ate somewhere else! BOY were we sick of banana bread by the end of the cruise :rotfl:

I have loved the stories that have been posted and up till now I was debating on if I should share my story.. well here it is. Sorry forthe book

on the first cruise I ever went on (DCL) our tablemates also happened to be 4 doors down from us. That should have been the first clue. First night all was ok, then next night it went down hill. The mom was paranoid of corners as in being seated near a corner, she was afraid of boats but wanted to take a cruise, she and daughter #1 were fighting and it continued the rest of the cruise. She didn't like anything on the menu, when she did pick something and it came she ate 1 bite and declared it only fit for any low class people. After that night she only ate from room service in her room. at one point of the cruise we ended up in a storm, which can be expected in September. But she proceeded to inform our room steward why we were not going to a near by island to wait it out. She then told the room steward to "make note of this exact location as if she goes overboard from the balcony she wants those to know where she was". Finally got to Castaway. No problems there you would think, right? hmm no. We went to the stringray excursion had fun and as we were walking back to our chairs later we hear a scream. Yep it was our tablemate! She was running out of the water with snorkle in hand and screaming " there are fish in the lagoon, there are fish in the lagoon" She sees me and my mom and proceed to ask " did you know there are real fish in the lagoon?" I told yes, I knew and what did she expect? her reply? "well this is Disney I thought they would animated fish" What ?! I told her "no they are real fish and there are real fish in the ocean". Her husband then proceeds to call her a a few well choice names and she does the same to him. Yea no one was at dinner that night. yea peaceand quiet! When we finally got back and where disembarking, the whole family was fighting. Funny thing, the kids and husband wanted to do another cruise she didn't and you could hear them arguing as we left the ship. Needless to say my mom & have brought this story up numerous times since then abd still laugh about it.

sounds like a Seinfeld episode....

We just got off the Fantasy, and our family of 4 sat by ourselves the entire trip! We did not request it. We did end up sitting adjacent to another family from our FB group, which was nice, every night except for the nights we were in Enchanted Garden.

we are a family of three and August will be our 6th cruise....four of the five we've sat by ourselves (though the second cruise we had nice tablemates who left a message for us stating they were not eating in the MDR's anymore)...we never requested to sit alone...of course it could be people requested not to sit with us!!

Wow! We were really lucky. We went on our first Disney Cruise clueless about dinner rotations, that you could request your own table , and had not even thought we might not like our dinner mates. We were with a great family,older parents with a 7 year old boy, just like us. Our boys became friends and were often in the kid's club together. We saw them at the pirate party and hung out with them . They were from Michigan and we were from Alabama , so that was kind of interesting.

OMG -- I find this kind of haughty behavior deplorable. There isn't enough on the menu each night that suits someone that they have to have the servers running relays to get extra food not being served !?! And then after that to still cut the tip instead of offering extra -- just ignorant. Yes, I know you can request something from a menu that is being served in another restaurant the same night, but for them to have to run to the sports bar to meet the person's demands is just unnecessary.

On that same subject, on one of our cruises we mentioned (not requested), just mentioned that one of my daughter's favorite menu items was the banana bread. OMG -- the server ended up not only bringing baskets of banana bread every night, but even had it delivered to our room on the nights we ate somewhere else! BOY were we sick of banana bread by the end of the cruise :rotfl:

The chicken wing thing actually started when our server mentioned about how they used to be on the menu for Parrot Cay and they would still make them is someone requested them, it just ended up being a nightly one no matter what restaurant we were in after that.

We have generally had very congenial table mates. However, on one cruise, my friend and I were seated at a table where there were three young teens, a boy and two girls. The boy behaved well, but the two girls kept acting silly and having fits of giggles constantly over everything. For example: Q -Do you want to order soup? A - giggle giggle giggle.
It was pretty annoying and their mother made no effort to get them to behave sensibly, but we just overlooked it after the first couple of nights. The server was very patient with them.

We enjoy having table mates but haven't had them of late. Last cruise was bizarre because we sat next to four pre-teen girls who dined every night by themselves. They were well-behaved but we never saw parents in the MDR with them. The most fun and eclectic group we had were all fellow honeymooners. We also had the future sales rep and that was fascinating.

minniefaye said:
DH and I's first cruise was on Royal Caribbean to the Western Caribbean. We were seated at a table of 10 and most of our table mates were very pleasant, there was this one guy though, he was a bit "different". When he wasn't picking his nose, which was constantly, he would eat the the butter pats! No kidding, one by one he would pick up a butter pat, open it, eat the butter, then proceed to lick the foil for a while to get all the leftover butter, and then moved on to the next butter pat. Once all the butter was gone, he went back to picking his nose. His wife would keep elbowing him to make him stop but it didn't work. :rotfl:

I would have moved,,,boak

I have been amazingly lucky to have never had awful table mates.....:cool1:

Since we haven't sailed with kids (grown and gone), we don't end up at a table with any children. Usually it's another couple.

We had a mother/daughter pair on our last DCL trip. Mom was a lot of fun, very entertaining but daughter was a flake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter