Cough medication not helping? Update

Callie

Always Dreaming of Disney Magic
I developed a nasty cold while we were in Disney two weeks ago. It sadly turned into a sinus infection, bronchitis, and a double ear infection. :mad:

The doctor gave me benzonatate to suppress my cough, but man, I'm still hacking away. Thankfully it is numbing my throat. Suggestions? :sick:

Update: I gave in and went to urgent care today. My coughing had gotten very bad, so the point I was sent home form work because I couldn't stop coughing. It felt like I couldn't breath, and was going to be sick. Also, my back was in so so so much pain.

He's giving me a different antibiotic, a steroid to help open up my lungs, and a lovely pain killer for my back. Taking a day off work to rest up. Hope this does the trick. This stuff is awful!

Sounds like the flu.
My dgs was the same way and we took him to an urgent care Thursday night. Even though he had a flu shot, he has two strains of the flu.

Not much of a fever, but the cough is brutal and nothing stops it. The sonic humidifier, honey, real hone in tea, and using the breathing treatments. He has asthma.

Sounds like the flu.
My dgs was the same way and we took him to an urgent care Thursday night. Even though he had a flu shot, he has two strains of the flu.

Not much of a fever, but the cough is brutal and nothing stops it. The sonic humidifier, honey, real hone in tea, and using the breathing treatments. He has asthma.

I did get the flu shot, and the doctor said she didn't think it was the flu. Maybe I'll call tomorrow and let her know that the cough medication isn't helping. My sinuses do feel like they are clearing up some with the antibiotic. Sadly, that is causing a very upset stomach. :scared:

I'd go back to the doctor. Could you be having an asthmatic reaction?

I had the flu the past two weeks. It was awful. So much coughing, and the medicine I was taking didn't have much effect. The doctor told me that it was a different strain going around than the ones in the flu shot.

TP

Buckwheat Honey. I have tried everything when I get the cough that won't quit. I take a tablespoon of it and it goes away.

I did get the flu shot, and the doctor said she didn't think it was the flu. Maybe I'll call tomorrow and let her know that the cough medication isn't helping. My sinuses do feel like they are clearing up some with the antibiotic. Sadly, that is causing a very upset stomach. :scared:

I think this years flu strains are catching the doctors off guard. The shot helped but didn't prevent his getting the flu. He isn't in the hospital with pneumonia this time too, but the asthmatic cough that nothing helped was the reason they did the flu test. They could have started tamiflu then, two more days went by now.

How long have you been taking the medicine? If only a day or two, I wouldn't be too surprised. If much longer than that, call the doctor back.

I do have asthma, so I was given an inhaler, which I'm waiting to have filled since its the same one I have from my allergist. I also take singular for asthma. The amount of hacking is about the same as before the medication, so I don't think its an allergic reaction. It works by numbing the lungs/throat, which I can feel going on.

I guess if I'm not feeling better by tomorrow night (3 days of the augmention ), I'll call back.

I developed a nasty cold while we were in Disney two weeks ago. It sadly turned into a sinus infection, bronchitis, and a double ear infection. :mad:

The doctor gave me benzonatate to suppress my cough, but man, I'm still hacking away. Thankfully it is numbing my throat. Suggestions? :sick:

I get bronchitis nearly every year (just getting over it) and the one thing that helps the most is gargling with warm salt water. I even get up at night with coughing, and usually the warm salt water will stop it for a while anyway - gives more relief than the prescription ones for me. Nothing I've tried stops it completely, but even temporary relief for me is welcome.

I've also tried the Vicks on bottom of feet as pp said - can't say if it helped as I was also gargling! I usually have coughing problems up to 4-5 weeks after.

I am just getting over bronchitis and still coughing up but not as bad. I take oil of oregano in some water 10 drops twice a day and I was amazed how it got stuff moving out of my lungs lol. My voice still hasn't come back :confused3

I had take steroids for my bronchitis. Cough syrup was doing any good. I was but in the hospital for my bronchitis which very bad.

I energy level still not where should be right now. I get tired easily now and need take a nap.

After lots of bed rest with strong medicine for the first 2 days. I find exercise to be helpful... perhaps a return trip to Disney? Not a cruise as they may not let you on the boat.

Antitussive medications reduce the cough. You wouldn't want to suppress coughing entirely. You want to prevent any fluid buildup which might lead to something more serious. If the doctor told you to expect something different, give his office a call tomorrow.

It sounds like you have a secondary infection fo whatever you had to start with and while your original illness may have very well been viral, it likely that your secondary one may be bacterial. Did your doctor give you antibiotics? While I am very conservative in their use, sometimes they are needed. Also, sometimes it just takes forever to get over the cough, especially at night. We use the musinex products, adjusting types to fit symptoms. We also run a warm mist vaporizer, do the vicks on the feet and chest, drink plenty of water, and use a ton of cough drops! Good luck, I have coughing kids and it does get old very fast!

OP, my son and I both had a virus of some sort that came with a nasty cough that lasted 5 weeks. Definitely get yours checked out, but ours was not bacterial, just a virus of some sort. My doctor gave me antibiotics as a precaution since I have asthma and am concerned about pneumonia, but it didn't make a bit of difference. Only time finally made it better.

Hang in there.

The bronchitis whatever that is going around is nasty and lasts for several weeks. A lot of people are going into pneumonia with it as well so be watchful for that. It doesn't sound like influenza unless you have severe body aches and a high fever you did not mention. The main flu going around now mutated after the vaccine was developed for this year so it is not covered by the shot this year. It's already a bad flu season and getting worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter