• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Costa Concordia Runs Aground / Deaths Reported

Interesting. I just read a thread on Cruise Critic about the Costa Concordia and the Carnival Splendor being sister ships. The Splendor was originally supposed to be part of Costa. IIRC, isn't the Splendor the ship that lost all power off the coast of Mexico and drifted for awhile before being towed in.

Costa is a part of the Carnival Corp along with HAL, Cunard, P&O, Princess, Aida, Ibero and Seabourn.

Along with this they also had many other issues

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/most-p...has-long-record-of-accidents-115875-23699140/

Speaking as someone who has been through a couple of incidents when people are properly trained no matter how crazy the situtation is there is order. If the crew had been told to evacuate the stateroom crew would be in the halls with flashlights driecting people.

I would also note about the lack of lighting, in the Pentagon they thought the crappy strip reflective tape (which was only in the hallways and not the offices) was enough in case of an emergancy to guide people out. Problem... if there is not light to reflect then they don't help. After Sept 11th they thought different.

The LED track lighting system they have on the airplanes and I belive someone else mentioned is in the hallways on DCL is a low power system which can run off a small battery and normally doesn't need an emergancy generator.

Let's all just pray incidents like this are few and really really far between (say like a 100 years or so Titanic Anniversary year) as well let's continue to pray for the families involved and most for the people who are still missing

I would also note about the lack of lighting, in the Pentagon they thought the crappy strip reflective tape (which was only in the hallways and not the offices) was enough in case of an emergancy to guide people out. Problem... if there is not light to reflect then they don't help. After Sept 11th they thought different.

The LED track lighting system they have on the airplanes and I belive someone else mentioned is in the hallways on DCL is a low power system which can run off a small battery and normally doesn't need an emergancy generator.
/QUOTE]

The LED strips are also florescent so if and when the battery dies/fails it is still seen.
The Crew quarters and corridors only had florescent signs and strip's outside of the cabins.

Ex Techie :)

/QUOTE]

The LED strips are also florescent so if and when the battery dies/fails it is still seen.
The Crew quarters and corridors only had florescent signs and strip's outside of the cabins.

I always keep my Android phone handy on a cruise just for the flashlight app.

... how feasible is that in a true emergency? I am betting it is not. Do they have life vests in the clubs? .....

I don't know if they have them in the clubs [sounds like a great idea though]. I do know that they have lifejackets in the benches on deck, as well as in multiple storage areas on deck. Many of those white crew only doors contain lifejackets. We were told that if we could not go back to our rooms to get them, not to worry because they are on the muster station deck.

Good point. But if I dont have kids, can I just hop on any lifeboat or I am expected to go to my boat?

Your lifeboat station captain will have a list with your name on it. If everyone just scrambles to get into the nearest lifeboat, there is chaos. The reason they have the lifeboat drill is so you will learn where your station is. It is also listed on your KTTW card if you forget what it is. That is something you need to keep with you at all times onboard.

So call me.crazy, but I for.one am rethinking our August cruise. I.haven't cruised in years and the publicity. A.few years ago.of people falling overboard or.murded or just plain dissapearing kept me away. Now this incidence, and the discussions about kids clubs and lifeboats really makes me pause and think! And I am not afraid of the water. We actually live on the water and all are great swimmers and probably go out in our boat daily about 6 months out of the year. My thought and prayers are with all of those unfortunate people! The story of the family handing over their child has truly disturbed me!

I have been watching this story since last night. It is just heartbreaking. My prayers go out to everyone effected by this tragedy.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I think the majority of the muster stations are on Deck 4 by the life boats. The kids clubs are on Deck 5, not too far away. I rember feeling reassured that the kids wrist tags ment they had identification and they were brought to me at our muster station. We too donned our full outfit for the muster drill. We needed to change one of the lifevests for our kids for another size. We cruised last on Carnival last Christmas (We were scheduled on the Splendor but had to change ships because of the fire and disabled ship). They only gave kids colored wristbands for their muster area with no personal identification. I very much appreciate the fact that my kid's identification goes with them wherever they may be, especially in case of an emergency. Thanks Disney!

Obviously right now is too soon but I wish DCL would make some type of announcement or maybe add a web page that explained their safety measures. Not necessarily as a knock aimed at Costa but just something to make us feel safter. Yes, we like to assume DCL has higher standards but you know what happens when you assume.

Obviously right now is too soon but I wish DCL would make some type of announcement or maybe add a web page that explained their safety measures. Not necessarily as a knock aimed at Costa but just something to make us feel safter. Yes, we like to assume DCL has higher standards but you know what happens when you assume.

They should make this page a pop up:
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/safety-information/

"Safety Information
At Disney Cruise Line, the safety of Guests and Crew Members is the highest priority.

Ship Safety
The Disney Cruise Line ships were built to International Maritime Organization standards and are equipped with up-to-date safety features and protocols. Each ship is inspected regularly by the U.S. Coast Guard and Lloyd's Register to verify continued compliance with maritime requirements. Aboard the ship, you can observe plenty of safety considerations in its construction, including sturdy railings — with heights engineered for safety — and plexiglass or solid white walls covering all railings on decks and stateroom verandahs.

Mustering: Lifeboat Drills
Coast Guard and international safety regulations require that everyone on board the ship must participate in a compulsory safety drill before departure. Our crew will notify you about this drill and all passengers will be required to attend. Once this short drill is completed, it's time to set sail!

Safety Reminder
Although we try to think of everything, please remember that the common sense rules of safety that apply on any trip also apply when you are cruising. Safety is a shared responsibility."

And NEVER utilize that 24hr's after departure safety drill rule again regardless of whatever sports are going on.

And NEVER utilize that 24hr's after departure safety drill rule again regardless of whatever sports are going on.

Agree 100% if you want to see the superbowl that bad don't book a cruise on the same day as the superbowl.

Really I think that Disney could DVR the superbowl and put it on hold while they do the drill just a thought and seems a little safer than delaying the drill

So call me.crazy, but I for.one am rethinking our August cruise. I.haven't cruised in years and the publicity. A.few years ago.of people falling overboard or.murded or just plain dissapearing kept me away. Now this incidence, and the discussions about kids clubs and lifeboats really makes me pause and think! And I am not afraid of the water. We actually live on the water and all are great swimmers and probably go out in our boat daily about 6 months out of the year. My thought and prayers are with all of those unfortunate people! The story of the family handing over their child has truly disturbed me!

While this is terribly heartbreaking, and a tragedy, cruise ships are not terribly dangerous as a whole, and, while I am not so stupid or misguided as to say it couldn't happen on DCL, they are known for their excellent safety drills, and they have a good record. While I am terribly sad and sorry for the passengers of the Costas ship, I sincerely doubt you are in more danger on a DCL ship than you are driving down the interstate in your own car. Quite probably less.

That said, I STRONGLY advise that everyone, and IN PARTICULAR, people with mobility disabilities and small children, pay careful, close attention to the muster drill. Warn your children to pay attention to the counselors at the kids club if something happens so that they can stay safe. However, I also advise that you keep chains, food, water, and blankets in your car during the winter--will you need it? Probably not. If you need it, though, you will have it.

SNIP
Really I think that Disney could DVR the superbowl and put it on hold while they do the drill just a thought and seems a little safer than delaying the drill

Now that would be too obvious wouldn't it ;) (And they could easily)

Please you and others forward that suggestion on to DCL for the Superbowl cruise.
I'm going to forward it.

Message sent to DCL:

In light of the terrible tragedy that occurred to the Costa Concordia on Thursday, and knowing that the Disney Wonder has once departed port without the emergency/safety drill being demonstrated until the next day, please please NEVER let another one of your ship's leave port without this vital exercise being performed.
DCL have always behaved in an honourable manor, and taken regulations above what is required and this (24 hours after departure) exception should never be used again.

The recording and later playback of any special sporting event's would seem like an easily achievable and safer practice so that the emergency/safety drill can be performed and still accommodate those that wish to watch it, without compromising safety.

Please pass this email to your Senior Managers, Entertainment Technical Managers and any other's that you see fit.

Kind Regards

Ex Techie

Does anyone know if the safes work if the power goes out? My thoughts would be to get to the cabin asap, grab passport and meds (which would be in safe), life jacket and then get out. Looking at the pics of the Costa ship, the lights went out in the cabins midship pretty early on (before it went sideways).

Hence my power/safe question.

Although if I'm stuck in the Bahamas for an extra week, it wouldn't be terrible...:goodvibes

am terribly sad and sorry for the passengers of the Costas ship, I sincerely doubt you are in more danger on a DCL ship than you are driving down the interstate in your own car. Quite probably less.

Definitely less if you are driving in Florida. No question there.

Does anyone know if the safes work if the power goes out? My thoughts would be to get to the cabin asap, grab passport and meds (which would be in safe), life jacket and then get out. Looking at the pics of the Costa ship, the lights went out in the cabins midship pretty early on (before it went sideways).

Hence my power/safe question.

Although if I'm stuck in the Bahamas for an extra week, it wouldn't be terrible...:goodvibes

AFAIK, they are battery powered, the same the key card door entry locks.

Ex Techie

I read elsewhere, and hope that it's a true fact, that the lifeboats on just ONE side of the ship are enough to hold the capacity of all on board.

Looking through earlier pictures though, it does appear that the lifeboats on the side that listed were successfully launched before she rolled.

Here are many more pictures by what appears to be a resident in the town where this happened.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3022776696787.155454.1483816924&type=3

So tragic, my prayers are definitely with those families. What a scary and horrible ordeal to have gone through.

Thanks for posting! I could not believe that big boulder in the hull. I guess nobody was on the bridge for that to occur or a chef from the kitchen took the wheel. How sad :sad2:

Almost 24 hours after the accident they have found a young couple alive in their cabin. They were on their honeymoon. Good news amongst tragedy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter