Coral Reef - is it really that bad?

The last time we ate there was 2013, but we all liked it. Other than having to wait quite a while to be seated, the food was really good, and we had an excellent view of the tanks. My sons especially enjoyed it very much.

We have an ADR at Coral Reef for our first night at Disney. I thought my 9 year old daughter would enjoy the theme, but the reviews I'm reading are making me want to switch it for something else. From what it sounds like, there is a good chance that we will not have a great view of the aquarium and the food reviews haven't been that great either. Do you recommend keeping this one?

We loved eating in the Coral Reef and having the immersive experience of the huge aquarium. It is so beautiful. The dessert platter was incredible. That being said, I've enjoyed better menu choices elsewhere. You should go and decide for yourself. I think everyone should go there at least once.

We've been twice and both times the food and overall experience was good, the only issue was the long wait for the table, even with an ADR but that's not uncommon at other restaurants within WDW either.

We have had 2 great experiences there. The first for CP dinner in 2011 and a lunch in Dec 2013. We will have lunch there again in Nov.

My wife and I tend to live by the mantra "Try everything twice" before ruling something out... except Coral Reef. We found it stressful and the food mediocre compared to other Disney restaurants with seafood options. We found the dining room very loud, and when we requested a seat by the aquarium we were seated 40 minutes later against the very back wall farthest from it. It was our most disappointing honeymoon dinner. Kouzina was our favorite... but alas, it is no more. Luckily the head Chef, Dee Foundakis, from Kouzina is still there (at Trattoria al Forno).. would go there just because of her.

Chef Dee is now at Le Cellier if you want to eat in her restaurant. Chef Christian Rumpler is at Trattoria.

I have enjoyed every meal I have had a Coral Reef. If your looking for the best seafood in your life, then yes you will be disappointed. I thought the food was good. Atmosphere great!! It's not one of our must do's but I would not hesitate to make another reservation.

Atmosphere is great for kids, calamari app was good, kids fish (salmon)was good, kid cupcake okay.
Rolls were cold and stale, mahi mahi with shrimp tasted like a lean cuisine. Portions are NOT generous, it is expensive.
I would go again and order calamari and a kids meal

I've eaten here about 7 times!
First time was my honeymoon and with a table of 8, the guy was old grumpy and rude! To the point management was called.
The grumpy old man, didn't explain menus was rude to my son asking for a refill, he was told after his first drink to stop draining it! As he didn't have all day to just refill his drink, I was livid my son was 5!!
The food was bad. And a bitter taste left in my mouth when management told me as we was a table of 8 I still had to leave mandatory tip! Er no!
To which his reply was ill put on all your future adrs that you don't tip!
Well after a conversation with GS and a Gift card later and bill refund, I honestly thought I'd never go back again.

That's until my then 4yr old twins begged to go back. The 7yr old not so much he remembered the mean man!Haha.
Anyway we went back and had a tank side table the sweetest women server. And great food! The steaks were really good, as is dessert.
We've since gone back each trip. Always asked to wait for tank side. ( it makes the meal) and had no complaints,

I like Coral Reef, but take it as a caveat I'm nostalgic and ate here many many times. Also a big fan of Full House and a scene was taped here (LOL!)

I always find the food quality good! I know I'm a sinner and usually get a beef entree here vs fish, but I can never complain.

My only "bad" experience here was seating during my last dinner. It was just a party of 2 and the restaurants were very crowded due to FD. They placed a very small table 8 inches away from a table next to us (no exaggeration) and we felt like we were sitting with the other party next to us. Very cramped and guests and wait staff kept bumping into us since basically we were sitting in an aisle packed in like sardines.

Other than that experience, I have no complaints. Fun watching the fish and you get a decent view of the aquarium in almost any seat....even the higher up raised booths get a decent view. .

If you have kids though, they'll be disappointed if they go here and do not sit 'on the glass' right by the marine life even though they have a good view anywhere.
The Full House episode is the reason my friends requested it. I hope they enjoy it. None of us are gourmet diners, so our expectations aren't that high. For me, I have a feeling it's going to be a one and done.

Our Ratings of Coral Reef: (*Rev 02/03/2015*)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a
.Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... Steamed Mussels, Crab Cakes
. . . entree:.. Grilled New York Strip Steak, Grilled Mahi-Mahi
. . . dessert:. Baileys and Jack Daniel's Mousse
NOTE1: The Coral Reef is a nice respite from normal dining, as is the wall which is the
aquarium. One sees fish and sees divers tending to the fish and tank. Best views are
from the second seating level, not right up against the tank. For best dishes, try the
Mussels for an appy and the Mahi for the entrée. Other seafoods are not good choices.
The non-fish selections (eg. rubber chicken) are run of the mill or worse. New York Strip
and Smashed Potatoes is always a good choice, Tell them to rest steaks before service
at the table. Service can be spotty - be prepared for slow waitresses. For those looking
for a quiet and romantic outing, this is a place to pass, the high noise level drowns
out most conversations.
NOTE2: As a side point, some people fear a "fishy smell". If the fish is fresh, cooked
properly, and the kitchen ventilated well, there is no fish-smell. I have yet to see or
experience such at Coral Reef.

We had a great experience for lunch at Coral Reef this past November. We had an early lunch ADR and were one of the first tables seated for the day. I was a bit nervous after reading the wide array of both good and bad reviews, but I tried to do some research on what menu items seemed to consistently disappoint and then steered clear of those. Fingers crossed that you'll have a lovely experience as well! :)

We have eaten there twice. One meal was really great- best steak out of the whole trip (April 2014). The next time we ate there (September 2014), it was the worst meal we had all week. We could barely eat the food and we ordered the very same entrees- steak all around. My daughter was so grossed out she wouldn't even eat her dessert.

it is one of our must does on each trip. We like the food, the desserts we love and our last trip we had the best and most fun waiter of any place we went.

It's a must do for us, but mainly for the atmosphere (we request a booth right in front of the aquarium). The food has been either hit or miss. My Chef's sustainable catch in 2011 was the best TS meal I've ever had on Disney property (and we've had quite a few meals). Other years, the same dish has been prepared differently and has just been so-so. Kids have always enjoyed the strip steak (considered adults on the dining plan) and they LOVE the chocolate cupcake desert, whatever it's called. I like the crème brulee.

Dan1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

I think CR is hit or miss. We have taken it off of our rotation.

Dining is personal, just like resort preference. I think that if you want to give it a try, you can form your own opinion.

Most awful food at any restaurant I've ever visited. Most awful service of any restaurant in my experience. Longest wait time past the reservation that I've ever experienced. Pretty fish tank.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter