Convince me: is a Disney Cruise worth the $$$?

I think I am in a very similar position as you:
I have parents that are in their mid-50s, been busy with work/school, and love Disney but don't have a lot of money.

I graduated nursing school and decided that it was time. Life is short. And dude: medicine is stressful! (During my preceptorship as a LPN I was acting as a LPN in a hill billy ER at NOCs, where the staff thought it was really fun to put me in the scariest situations.). I am very much a fan of adding super whimsy and not serious, and Disney is very much whimsy. It is so worth the money that I am doing it again.

I booked a 3 night cruise just this morning for just my DH and myself. We have sailed with DCL before and loved it, however, we were looking for a short cruise for just the two of us and DCL did not seem the obvious choice. We can only sail during the summer and after much research realized that RCL and Carnival use really old ships for their short cruises. I watched youtube videos and read extensive reviews and realized that the only way I will sail Carnival will be on a new ship with a great itinerary. I probably could have sailed RCL as they had a 4 night our of PC with a stop at their island, Nassau and a day at sea but for the money I will take one less day on the Disney Dream because I know what to expect going in and I love Castaway Cay! :goodvibes

DCL does have 4 night cruises but they conflict with the dates we had available.

If you want to go on a Disney cruise, a cruise on a different cruise line will be a disappointment. Hope deferred makes a heart sick. Follow your dream!

I'm so glad you asked this question and I have read the replies with interests since this is the big question for me as well. I've never cruised before, haven't really had any desire to, but DH really wants to, and thinks Disney is the only way to go. I just couldn't see paying the extra price, but now I'm thinking there will be a Disney cruise in our future!

By the way, congrats on your upcoming graduation and good luck to you in your internship, residency and practice!

I think you could get a 4 night on the Magic or Wonder out of Galveston or Miami for cheaper than that. :)

I know those ships are less expensive but I'm limited by dates I can go. The dream's 3 night is the only ship that fits my dates and price range. Thanks for the idea

Jess6001 said:
So a Disney Cruise has always been a dream to me. My mom, sis and I (all adults) have always loved disney and have many fabulous trips to WDW together. We've also been on a few cruises (all royal caribbean) which I've loved (and my mom and sis both liked). I'm graduating from Grad school this May and considering making a short Disney cruise a reality now because the next few years of my life are going to be insanely busy.

I don't have that much cash to spend. I'm considering a 3 night cruise in May on the Disney Dream. For the three of us it will be about $1,700 for the cruise fare. My questions are is it worth it to spend this much money of a cruise because it will (a) be very short and (b) I could get a much cheaper deal on Royal Caribbean?

Should I go for it or put it off until I have the time and money for a longer cruise? (like a 7 day cruise). That could be years away though...

The ship looks AMAZING...do you think 3 nights would be enough to even start to get a feel for it?

THANKS for your opinion! :)

Just Did 5 day holiday on Dream. Haven't stopped talking about it and recommending to everyone. Also booked another 4 night for summer while on boat. There's a solid reason why they can get top dollar. Basic economics of supply and demand. There wasn't ONE thing I could find to complain about. Just don't go crazy with spa, liquor or professional pictures an you won't go broke!

I'll readily admit that I'm the one handing out the kool-aid. Convinced two different people to cruise Disney with me this year.

You mentioned how often you go to WDW, I really think that a Disney Cruise is cheaper than WDW. Figure the cost of the hotel per night (and don't figure pop century, think somewhere moderate, or closer to deluxe), rental car (unless you use DME), food, park tickets, movies at the AMC Pleasure Island, snacks, sodas, etc. DCL has a higher up-front cost, but if you are conscientious of your budget, you can get on the ship, have an amazing vacation and get off only $36 poorer. (Automatic Gratuities, $12 per person per day, 3 day cruise.)

Even if you have already paid for your hotel and tickets and maybe gotten the meal plan, try spending only $12 per day at WDW.

Most activities on the ship are complimentary, all food and beverage is included (bring your own Adult Beverages) and if all else fails, you have the most incredible view while you're sitting on deck reading.

You've mentioned that Disney has turned you into a hotel snob, I'm the same way. I'll also say that I can't set foot into a Six Flags or any other amusement park without comparing it to WDW... It's the same way on the Cruise Line.

Taking a Carnival or RCCL cruise is like staying in a Holiday Inn compared to staying at... oh, say Port Orleans Riverside. It's basically the same amenities, basically the same quality, but it's just not worth the price difference.

Have you ever felt that you didn't get your money's worth with Disney?

So it's been about 5 hours now since you posted this question..what are you waiting for. You know the answer. Realistically, how are you going to have more money available after 7 more years of education? My girls and their student loan debt has sent them to Carnival this spring break...this should be interesting after they've drank the DCL kool-aid

i am of the "life is short...have fun when you can" camp. we just got back from wdw over christmas and now im thinking of a graduation trip (ill grad in may with my bsw!) we usually go to the jersey shore over memorial day but then i started thinking of something special....a cruise!

i was back and forth looking at other cruise lines (because they are cheaper of course) but came back here to read what others say.

so i have decided to book disney thanks to this thread! LOL

im now in the process of applying to grad school so money is not going to get much better for another 2 years. my debt will be there, however my kids are growing rapidly. i want these adventures and memories. and truthfully they have been my biggest supporters through the last 5 years of my undergrad program (surviving a divorce along the way) i dont care what others say we DESERVE this trip.

now just have to wait for the tax return :rolleyes1

airfares don't look too bad now though! lol

I have not been on a cruise yet on any line, but we chose DCL, our kids are 8 and 11.

With that said, I did a lot of research here and everywhere, also read a lot of information on cruise critic, very helpful. I suggest you go to cruise critic and read some of the reviews of ships you are intersted in, read the bad reviews, the good ones are usually all the same, the bad reviews tend to paint a picture, but you will have to kind of filter those out, some people just cannot be pleased. Some cruises were compared to a floating Wal Mart, buyer beware, you get what you pay for.

After my research, DCL was a must! We also love Disney World and stay on propoerty, so a little biased. But the reviews on cruise critic validated my expensive decision.

We are on a super tight budget like most poeple, but I booked our 4 night May 2013 cruise back in February of 2102! Worked payments into our budget and did some extra part time work to make it work.:thumbsup2

We did out first Disney Cruise this past Christmas on the Wonder, and I have to say, we were blown away. We are Diamond Plus with Royal Caribbean, Platinum with Princess, 3 star mariner with holland America and a couple other sailings with other lines. Our cruise prior to the Wonder was on the Allure of the Seas. We had our doubts how it would compare, but there was just no comparison. Our kids, 7 and 3 do not stop talking about the Disney cruise. We are booked on the Fantasy in march 2014 because the holiday sailings for 2013 are just way out of line on pricing all ready. My 7 year old keeps talking about the next cruise on the Fantasy. Too far away to keep talking about. We loved, loved, loved it. We all cried when we got off! Nothing like seeing your kids, and wife, okay and me, run up to Mickey and hug him. Do the 3 night if that is all you are budgeted for. It is so so worth it.

Disney doesn't sail enough places for us to be die hard Disney cruisers. Next year will definitely be either Australia or Europe (we did Mediterranean this year so not a med next year even if they sail Europe), so likely NOT on Disney, but next week will be our first cruise with Disney and we are expecting to like it enough to book again. Its the kids first cruise and I already think its worth the money.

"Disney snob" here and proud of it! Just booked our 5th Disney Cruise and will NOT go back to another cruise line. (Did one RCC out of NJ, nine night; although it saved the cost of flights as we live in NJ ... not worth it.) IMO nothing beats a Disney Cruise or Disney vacation!! Book a Disney Cruise ... you will fall in LOVE <3 :cloud9:

IMHO, a three day cruise is too short!I would save up for the seven day either on Disney or another cruise line. We love Disney, but we also enjoy RCCL and HAL for half the cost. We cruise more frequently now that we sail on other cruise lines and our son is grown.

Before my DCL cruise, I had qualms about traveling on Disney without kids. I pictured decks full of screaming spoiled brats. Instead of the kids getting on my nerves, I found myself enjoying them. What I found on DCL were happy kids who were a delight to be around.
There were enough adults-only places to retreat to if needed, but I really enjoyed watching the families having a great time. I started heading to the atrium and watching the character meet and greets from an upper balcony, just to see the kids' meet their favorites. I really enjoyed seeing all the little interactions of people just being happy and sharing joy.
Other cruises may be relaxing, but this cruise lightened my spirits, Since you're headed into the health professions, I'd advise a Disney cruise to recharge your awareness of human goodness, because I'm sure that you'll see plenty while working that will test your faith in it.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I have read each one. We love Disney and I know a Disney cruise is in our future. I'd love more than three nights but our budget and schedule (my sis is in spring classes) only allow the 3 night. I'm going to give it more thought and hope it can work!
Considering making the trip more "worth it" overall with a night before at Art of Animation Ariel room (sis wants to go there so bad). Perhaps extending the trip to the beach with mom after the cruise. I gotta make the $300 airfare from MI worth it! Haha.

I agree. Two years ago my very healthy mother had a heart attack at age 59. That really shook me up. Right now, to be honest, I don't have very much money. Suze Orman would totally tell me no. But I'm in a field that ten years from now I will be making a lot of money (I'm graduating from medical school...I have at least 7 years of residency/fellowship where I will be making $50K and working 80 hours a week). So even though it's not "right" money wise, I feel like I should spend some money now before I start my crazy lifestyle because by the time I can truly afford it my mother will be much older and I have missed out on many opportunities.

On the other hand I may just be rationalizing so I can go on another vacation...

Cruised Princess to Alaska 14 years ago. Got off and thought "Eh. Fine. No issues. Don't need to ever cruise again." Went on Disney Wonder 3 night to Bahamas 3 years ago and got off jumping up and down thinking "I can't wait to go again!" Since then, my wife has done a total of 8 DCL cruises, and she is doing a "girls trip" in 4 weeks and another trip with a friend in 5 weeks (B2B on the Wonder). I have done 7 DCL cruises, including one with just my wife. The girls have done 6. The only danger you have going on this cruise is that you will get hooked.

BTW, what residency? I'm a pediatrician.

I know we'll get hooked! I'm applying to IM...planning to do cardiology (possibly interventional). So I'm sure you can appreciate me wanting to celebrate graduation and do something fun before internship starts... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter