Contiki Tours - Grad trip Q's

jump00

DIS Veteran
Hello fellow Disers,
I need your help. Has anyone gone on a Contiki tour or had their children go on one? Our ds is graduating University this year as well as his sister ( woohooo) and he would like to go to Greece with 2 of his friends. It's a grad gift from us:love1:- 12 nights - he told me he will need to book his flight separately. He even invited his sister along -:flower:but she wants to go on a trip with her friends.
Any insight would be most helpful - pros/cons? ( with contiki) What insurance is best - we want him fully covered.

Thanks!!!!!!!

I went a long time ago - a 10 day Western Europe tour... in September 2001.

Putting aside what happened Stateside, it was a great experience. Firstly, you are with your contemporaries (I believe the range is 18-35) so you will make many friends - I'm still in periodic communication with a couple of them. Also dated a girl from my tour for a short while. But I digress.

Since you are with contemporaries, optional (i.e. $$$) excursions skew towards a younger crowd, and folks are generally willing to go out on the town(s) after dinner (as parents, we would probably consider this a con. Your son, not so much). Bottom line, he will have FUN.

Cons, not all meals are provided. This is not necessarily a bad thing, since you get a chance to explore some local cuisine, but something to be aware of. Bus travel is not for everyone, and you will be on that thing a lot. You will be living out of a suitcase for the whole trip - that might be tough for 12+ days.

For insurance, I'm not which provider is best, but if you get annual coverage, it should cover your son for the entire trip and any other trips of 14 days or less.

Hi Starvenger!!
Thank you your insight. Looks like you had great fun - I'm sure he would too. I agree - tough to live out of a suitcase for 2 weeks. He will need insurance since he is no longer covered on ours- but it should be easy to get through his bank.

Thanks again!!!!
Jump00:flower1:

It was definitely fun but 15 years older me probably couldn't handle it as well. I think I will stick with my cruises and my vacation rental homes...

I did one of the African tours in (funny enough) 2001. Lots of interesting people, well organized, neat things to do and see. Optional excursions added a lot to the cost, I also added a couple of days before the tour started so I could get used to the time change. Our bus was supposed to go through Angola but there was so much fighting we had to go around…it was nothing better than a school bus so quite hot and uncomfortable. Amazing trip though, it was a gift from my parents after I finished my mater's degree and I'll never forget flying in an ultralight over the game reserve to see the animals near Victoria Falls!

I did a 12 day, 7 country Contiki bus trip around Europe in 2006. Defiantly a reputable and great company to travel with. I was a solo female traveller and really enjoyed it.

The trip I was on started and ended in London, at a hotel near Russel Square. Contiki offered a discount for pre and post trip rooms at the hotel, not sure if that still happens.

The trip I was on was mainly Canadian and Australian people mid 20's, early 30's. Everyone on the trip except me were with someone, either couples or friends travel buddys.

The itinerary I went on was intense, we had a departure time of 7.30am every morning, no matter how late the partying the night before. The first few hours of morning travel was usually people sleeping off hangovers. Some people did more partying than others, remember that the legal drinking age in Europe is 18. Generally though there was no excessive partying, everyone made the departure time every morning, I dont think we were more than 10 minutes late leaving an morning.

On the bus there is 1 driver and 1 tour assistant, they are not guides. I got lucky and the tour assistant was very enthusiastic and involved. For every stop she had a general info handout and a suggested touring plan. You were under no obligation to join the group touring plan in the cities and towns. Some of the attractions had an additional charge, some did not. All the information about the additional charges was available on the website before the trip. I did my research and knew exactly which extra charge attractions I wanted to see. That way I was able to budget and keep that money separate from my own daily spending money.

Most of the places I did a mix of staying with the group and exploring on my own. The only rules about the free time was that you had to be on the bus by the departure time the next morning.

The accommodation was a mix of mid price chain hotels and independent family run hotels. As far as I can remember breakfast was included and provided at all hotels.

I did one of the African tours in (funny enough) 2001. Lots of interesting people, well organized, neat things to do and see. Optional excursions added a lot to the cost, I also added a couple of days before the tour started so I could get used to the time change. Our bus was supposed to go through Angola but there was so much fighting we had to go around…it was nothing better than a school bus so quite hot and uncomfortable. Amazing trip though, it was a gift from my parents after I finished my mater's degree and I'll never forget flying in an ultralight over the game reserve to see the animals near Victoria Falls!

How exciting- I'm glad you enjoyed the experience. How did you pay for the excursions? Before you left or when you got there? He will have his cc with him and cash so he will be fine. I will have to remind him he will not be travelling first class- lol :flower:

Thanks for your input- much appreciated!!!

I did a 12 day, 7 country Contiki bus trip around Europe in 2006. Defiantly a reputable and great company to travel with. I was a solo female traveller and really enjoyed it.

The trip I was on started and ended in London, at a hotel near Russel Square. Contiki offered a discount for pre and post trip rooms at the hotel, not sure if that still happens.

The trip I was on was mainly Canadian and Australian people mid 20's, early 30's. Everyone on the trip except me were with someone, either couples or friends travel buddys.

The itinerary I went on was intense, we had a departure time of 7.30am every morning, no matter how late the partying the night before. The first few hours of morning travel was usually people sleeping off hangovers. Some people did more partying than others, remember that the legal drinking age in Europe is 18. Generally though there was no excessive partying, everyone made the departure time every morning, I dont think we were more than 10 minutes late leaving an morning.

On the bus there is 1 driver and 1 tour assistant, they are not guides. I got lucky and the tour assistant was very enthusiastic and involved. For every stop she had a general info handout and a suggested touring plan. You were under no obligation to join the group touring plan in the cities and towns. Some of the attractions had an additional charge, some did not. All the information about the additional charges was available on the website before the trip. I did my research and knew exactly which extra charge attractions I wanted to see. That way I was able to budget and keep that money separate from my own daily spending money.

Most of the places I did a mix of staying with the group and exploring on my own. The only rules about the free time was that you had to be on the bus by the departure time the next morning.

The accommodation was a mix of mid price chain hotels and independent family run hotels. As far as I can remember breakfast was included and provided at all hotels.

Thanks for all this information- I'm glad you find them a good company - I feel more at ease.

@jump00 any other info you want just let me know.

To answer your question to PP as far as I can remember the extra charge excursions were paid in cash on a pay as you go basis.

Another few bits of info
When I travelled in 2006, when we were checking in for our trip, all the checked luggage, ie the large case for under the bus storage were weighed. The max weight at the start of the trip was 15kg. I remember that my case was under the allowed weight as I had arrived in London on a budget European airline which has the same checked luggage weight allowance. The Canadians and Australians though were over the allowed checked luggage weight allowance, as the long haul flights have higher checked luggage weight allowance. Many had either to redistribute items in travelling companions bag or put items in the trash.

As a solo traveller I had to share hotel rooms during the trip with my bus mates. After the first day everyone gets to know each so this was not a problem. I mostly shared with the same 2 females who were travel buddys. This was pre arranged by Contikki,its one of the optional things on the trip. If you are a couple or 2 friends travelling together you have to opt in to sharing a room with a solo traveller.

The bus I was on was ok to me. Its not a deluxe tour bus, more like a comfortable Greyhound bus. Most days we were travelling for about 6 hours, broken up by rest room stops at motorway service stations. As far as I can remember we could eat small snacks like candy or chocolate but not things like McDonalds on the bus. We were not allowed to drink alcohol on the bus, only water or soda. I and most of my bus mates slept alot on the bus, I would advise bringing a sleep mask, ear plugs, ipod , book etc. Im not sure about free WiFi on the buses as when I did the trip free WiFi on buses was not standard. Most of the chain hotels have free Wifi as standard now but it could be possible some of the smaller independent family run hotels dont.

Thanks BadPinkTink!!

This is great- I will share your notes with him. He is travelling with two friends- but he is pretty social so he will enjoy a good "chin wagg" (chat) with everyone.

Jump00:thanks:

I traveled with Contiki on several trips: 35 day tour of Europe and Greece, 25 day Russia and Scandi, 21 day tour of Eastern USA, 15 tour of Western USA, 18 tour of Costa Rica, 21 day tour of Vietnam. I also traveled through Eastern Europe, the Balkans and Turkey and Thailand with our groups. If you are traveling by yourself, particularly for a first time traveler I believe it is the way to go! I met amazing people on my tours and am still in contact with most of them....if you are doing a tour of Europe I do recommend paying the extra for the "deluxe" version - your hotels are directly in the city as opposed to the "budget" version that has you further out of the main areas.

I traveled with Contiki on several trips: 35 day tour of Europe and Greece, 25 day Russia and Scandi, 21 day tour of Eastern USA, 15 tour of Western USA, 18 tour of Costa Rica, 21 day tour of Vietnam. I also traveled through Eastern Europe, the Balkans and Turkey and Thailand with our groups. If you are traveling by yourself, particularly for a first time traveler I believe it is the way to go! I met amazing people on my tours and am still in contact with most of them....if you are doing a tour of Europe I do recommend paying the extra for the "deluxe" version - your hotels are directly in the city as opposed to the "budget" version that has you further out of the main areas.

Thanks for your help. My ds will be doing the 12 day tour of Greece and will have a couple of friends with him. Any advice for Greece?
Not sure how much he needs to bring - money wise he thinks about 1000 Euros for those days. He will have to pay for a night before the tour begins and another night after - before he flies home. He will have a credit card. He also doesn't know how to protect his wallet- any ideas?

He also doesn't know how to protect his wallet- any ideas?
Some basic ideas:

- at the bare minimum, keep your wallet (and cellphone) in your front pants pocket. Not a cargo pocket, but the front pocket. A skilled pickpocket can still get to that wallet, but they're more likely to go for the low hanging fruit of a wallet in someone's back pocket.
- if he gets one of those security waistband pouches, stress that he never takes things out of there (I'd probably keep my passport and extra cash that I don't intend to spend) in public. On the bus, in the hotel, sure. But not when you're walking around anywhere.
- if he's carrying around a backpack, make sure that he keeps it snug to his back. Keep valuables closer to the bottom, under a jacket or hoodie or something. And keep that thing zipped up. This won't stop those thieves that slash your bag with a knife and grab the stuff that falls out, but should deter the common thief just looking to reach into your bag and grab whatever from the top.
- travel in a group, preferably 3 or 4 people. Thieves are unlikely to target a group of 20-somethings walking around the Acropolis when there's a bunch of 50-somethings lugging a giant camera bag and tripod around.

I guess my main point here is to make sure he doesn't look like an easy mark.

I just did a Contiki Italy trip 2 summers ago. I had a great time. I traveled solo and made friends for live almost instantly.

I just did the payments with my Mastercard that included insurance.

Hide little pockets of money. Never have it all in one spot. If he is bringing his phone I'd say maybe look into getting a case that can hold a card or two. One less thing to worry about and we're so attached to our phones (for pics and whatnot) you usually keep a good eye on it.

Good idea about the case. I actually have one (Griffin Identity) that I use for my commute - holds my Presto card and my office security badge. It doubles as a stand as well. Only disadvantage is that the card holder acts as a cover for the screen, so you have to open it up whenever you use the phone.

Some basic ideas:

- at the bare minimum, keep your wallet (and cellphone) in your front pants pocket. Not a cargo pocket, but the front pocket. A skilled pickpocket can still get to that wallet, but they're more likely to go for the low hanging fruit of a wallet in someone's back pocket.
- if he gets one of those security waistband pouches, stress that he never takes things out of there (I'd probably keep my passport and extra cash that I don't intend to spend) in public. On the bus, in the hotel, sure. But not when you're walking around anywhere.
- if he's carrying around a backpack, make sure that he keeps it snug to his back. Keep valuables closer to the bottom, under a jacket or hoodie or something. And keep that thing zipped up. This won't stop those thieves that slash your bag with a knife and grab the stuff that falls out, but should deter the common thief just looking to reach into your bag and grab whatever from the top.
- travel in a group, preferably 3 or 4 people. Thieves are unlikely to target a group of 20-somethings walking around the Acropolis when there's a bunch of 50-somethings lugging a giant camera bag and tripod around.

I guess my main point here is to make sure he doesn't look like an easy mark.

Great tips starvenger!!!! I like the idea of putting your wallet in the front pocket!!
Thanks!

jump00:flower1:

I just did a Contiki Italy trip 2 summers ago. I had a great time. I traveled solo and made friends for live almost instantly.

I just did the payments with my Mastercard that included insurance.

Hide little pockets of money. Never have it all in one spot. If he is bringing his phone I'd say maybe look into getting a case that can hold a card or two. One less thing to worry about and we're so attached to our phones (for pics and whatnot) you usually keep a good eye on it.

Good ideas - thanks:flower1:
jump00

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter