• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Contemporary or Yacht Club

shannonstar

StarGirlJapp
Thinking about splurging this trip as it is Christmas and we will be spending more time at the resort than usual. We do tend to spend the bulk of our park time at both Epcot and the Magic Kingdom.
We are currently booked at Coronado, but we are considering upgrading to a Deluxe. The price difference between Contemporary and Yacht Club is negligible. Which one do you think would be a better choice at Christmas?

I love, LOVE being within walking distance to the parks. At Christmas time it might be a little chilly for swimming but if you have kids/are a kid at heart and you are planning on getting in the pool either way, Stormalong Bay at YC gets my vote. However, if you’re doing MVMCP (which we did last year and loved, I would recommend it) then you can’t beat being able to walk back to the Contemporary at midnight and not have to deal with crowds.

I’ve stayed at both and I like SAB at YC enough to pick it every time, but my kids are still in a stroller so we’ve been doing Contempo the past few years for the convenience of walking to MK.

Epcot has more special holiday activities than any of the other parks. The BC and YC also have great decorations in their lobbies. We prefer staying in the Epcot resort area for the Christmas holidays because there is so much to do there. :)

If you are looking for a nicer, overall resort, I would do YC. If you want pure convenience to MK, I would do CR. Either way, one will be convenient to one park and not the other. Sometimes I choose resorts based on other things we want to do as well. If I would rather stroll at night, have more dining options within walking distance, play a round of mini-golf, for instance, it's an EP resort all the way. We really only do CR now if we are, almost, solely visiting MK.

I'd go with YC here. The Epcot resorts feel so peaceful compared to MK resorts around the holidays, and YC is amazing overall. Walking to two parks is such a convenient perk, and YC is right next to the entire boardwalk area. CR is convenient to MK, but that's about it. If you stay at CR, hopefully its in the main building. Both are good options, but YC I think is truly one of the best resorts on property (especially around the holidays).

While I love CR and we're always drawn to MK no matter where we stay, the holiday happenings at both Epcot and DHS make a walkable Epcot resort location quite compelling, in my mind. And I happen to really like YC as well.

I think YC is more convenient to MK than Contemporary is to Epcot. If you’re basing it purely on location I think YC wins out when visits to Epcot/DHS and MK are close to equal. For more time spent at the resort I also think YC has an advantage over Contemporary.

MK seems to be the park we take midday breaks at most often though or pop back in at night, and no question those are much easier from CR than YC. Something to consider if you’re like us.

My original reaction was Yacht Club, because of proximity to Epcot, Boardwalk, Beach Club & Swan\Dolphin if you're looking to do Christmas decoration viewing.

But then - the Contemporary has the proximity to the Magic Kingdom - plus - the Poly & Grand Flo with the giant gingerbread house (which is just a store lol).

I don't think you'll go wrong with either! Nice decision to have.

I have stayed at both and I much prefer YC over Contemporary. The Contemporary's theming is underwhelming and honestly, a lot of the decor throughout the resort is downright unattractive IMO. The walk to the MK is a bonus, but we were there in the height of summer and it was too hot in the middle of the day. That will probably be better around Christmas when temps are cooler. The Stormalong Bay pool area is way nicer than the pool area at the Contemporary. Contemporary isn't bad but I don't think I will go back there when there are so many other better themed resorts on property.

Thanks guys! I ended up choosing Yacht Club. It just makes sense with our dining reservations being mostly over that way. And the convenience of being able to go back to the room makes a difference as well when one kid is 6 and the other 17.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter