Contemporary - Elevator shaft art

padlock

Mouseketeer
I have a feeling that what I'm about to say isn't going to be very popular, but after some deep soul searching, I feel I really need to say.

I think they should change the mural on the elevator shaft.

Wow, it's like a weight has finally been lifted off my shoulders.

Now before you all sharpen your pitchforks, let me explain. It's not that I don't appreciate the art, I think it's fine... somewhere else. It just really doesn't seem very 'contemporary' to me, and looks out of place.

I've stayed at the contemporary many times since the late 70s, so it's not like I haven't had a chance to get used to it. I've even deluded myself into thinking I liked it at some points. Still, in a recent moment of clarity, I've finally admitted to myself that I don't think it belongs.

Anyone agree?

Contemporary-Grand-Can275.jpg

Interesting...
The mural was created by Mary Blair, who was a close friend of Walt Disney and also one of his animators. She also created the style for IASW. It's not going anywhere.
I get what you're saying about the contemporary feel of the piece but, it's become part of the history of Disney and the Contemporary Resort.

So I'd have to disagree with you. No pitchforks... :thumbsup2

:cutie: I'm actually a fan of her work and the art itself, like you said, is wonderful- but yes a little out of place with the current "style" of the resort...

I think some attempts to better incorporate it into the atmosphere should be taken into consideration- maybe even "reinventing" the look perhaps with additional murals in the concourse or with some interesting lighting techniques..

But I am going to support the "it ain't goin' anywhere" campaign- its a part of history and a true piece of unreplaceable art.

I fully agree that it is out of place in the Contemporary. I have nothing against the mural itself, only the location.

Maybe they need to redo the main concorse of the CR BACK to it's original, "Grand Canyon Concourse" feel. It was very southwestern in feel, with a contemporary twist. I miss the plethora of shops and the Pueblo room restaurant, which you could have a great meal, not too expensive AND a view of the MK.

I don't mind the mural because it's a historical part of the Contemporary and had they thought about getting rid of it I am sure something would have been done during the recent renovations of the 4th floor.

I have to agree. The Concourse feels a little dated and mismatched because of it (completely contradictory to what the CR is aiming for). It seems like Disney would be able to take the mural apart and relocate it somewhere more appropriate (around It's a Small World or somewhere in the World Showcase). I think they made a great start by updating all of the rooms, but they could go so much further with the modern theme throughout the resort. What if they replaced the mural with glass (which would coordinate with the glass at each end of the tower), and put in glass elevators. It would be neat to go up in one while the monorail glides by. It would also be more interesting/modern to have glass in place of the concrete (are they concrete? That's what it looks like in your picture anyway:confused:) walls on each of the tower floors. Or maybe they could even put a big waterfall where the mural used to be. The possibilities are endless :rotfl: The lobbies at the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, and Animal Kingdom Lodge are SO impressive. I think Disney could definitely do the same for the CR!

I have to agree. The Concourse feels a little dated and mismatched because of it (completely contradictory to what the CR is aiming for). It seems like Disney would be able to take the mural apart and relocate it somewhere more appropriate (around It's a Small World or somewhere in the World Showcase). I think they made a great start by updating all of the rooms, but they could go so much further with the modern theme throughout the resort. What if they replaced the mural with glass (which would coordinate with the glass at each end of the tower), and put in glass elevators. It would be neat to go up in one while the monorail glides by. It would also be more interesting/modern to have glass in place of the concrete (are they concrete? That's what it looks like in your picture anyway:confused:) walls on each of the tower floors. Or maybe they could even put a big waterfall where the mural used to be. The possibilities are endless :rotfl: The lobbies at the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, and Animal Kingdom Lodge are SO impressive. I think Disney could definitely do the same for the CR!

Those are some good ideas- but just looking at the photo in the first post and thinking it would be gone makes me kinda sad! But yes, to the onlooker unbeknownst to it's history and origin, it is rather odd and out of place...

I imagine this conversation has taken place a lot of times...
"What is that supposed to be?"
"That is a southwestern mural by Mary Blair..."
"Who's Mary Blair?".. and it goes from there....

Like the glass elevator idea a lot! And...congratulations on your upcoming graduation:dance3:; the "baby" in our extended family follows his Grandfather; Dad; Mom; Uncle and Cousin as an Aggie grad this May also. GIG 'EM!!!:tink:

Like the glass elevator idea a lot! And...congratulations on your upcoming graduation:dance3:; the "baby" in our extended family follows his Grandfather; Dad; Mom; Uncle and Cousin as an Aggie grad this May also. GIG 'EM!!!:tink:

Aw thank you! It's a small world and the Aggie Network is huge! I was actually at DW a few years ago and another guest came up to me and said "Gig 'Em!" because he saw I was wearing a Dixie Chicken shirt :goodvibes I'm actually a first generation Aggie though; both my parents are University of Texas alums :rotfl:

Those are some good ideas- but just looking at the photo in the first post and thinking it would be gone makes me kinda sad! But yes, to the onlooker unbeknownst to it's history and origin, it is rather odd and out of place...

I imagine this conversation has taken place a lot of times...
"What is that supposed to be?"
"That is a southwestern mural by Mary Blair..."
"Who's Mary Blair?".. and it goes from there....

:rotfl: Love the dialogue! And thanks! I was hesitant to voice my ideas because I thought people would think I was crazy!

The lobbies at the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, and Animal Kingdom Lodge are SO impressive. I think Disney could definitely do the same for the CR!
Well that's where the Contemporary is different then those resorts, because whenever you see add's about the Contemporary or on the Disney Park's Planning DVD's, a lot of what they show is the restaurants and etc on the 4th floor. I agree that their lobby is nothing like the resorts you mentioned, but they are selling the 4th floor atmosphere and the reality is how much time will you spend in the lobby of each resort? While walking in for the 1st time would be amazing if you never been to WDW, I am sure others would rather be at the parks right away if they could.

Well that's where the Contemporary is different then those resorts, because whenever you see add's about the Contemporary or on the Disney Park's Planning DVD's, a lot of what they show is the restaurants and etc on the 4th floor. I agree that their lobby is nothing like the resorts you mentioned, but they are selling the 4th floor atmosphere and the reality is how much time will you spend in the lobby of each resort? While walking in for the 1st time would be amazing if you never been to WDW, I am sure others would rather be at the parks right away if they could.

You make a good point, but a little extra of a "wow factor" could never hurt! :3dglasses

You make a good point, but a little extra of a "wow factor" could never hurt! :3dglasses

Aw thank you! It's a small world and the Aggie Network is huge! I was actually at DW a few years ago and another guest came up to me and said "Gig 'Em!" because he saw I was wearing a Dixie Chicken shirt :goodvibes I'm actually a first generation Aggie though; both my parents are University of Texas alums :rotfl:

:rotfl: Love the dialogue! And thanks! I was hesitant to voice my ideas because I thought people would think I was crazy!

Sorry about the UT parents:rotfl2:; we have "some of those" in our family too:rolleyes1! Actually ... my Godchild will become a UT grad next year and her "baby" brother just signed with Texas to play baseball. Four other cousins have attended the "Austin school" also:sad2:. Brother of the '10 Grad began at A&M (baseball) but left after the current coach took over. Went to Rice and Coach Graham and ended up beating A&M 2 years in a row which sent them to the college world series!:banana:
Anyway...in 2005 my husband had to postpone his DW arrival so my best friend went with me for 3 days. It was her first trip and when a cast member noticed her Aggie shirt and said "Gig 'em" she went nuts:rotfl:! They visited almost 30 minutes even singing the Aggie War Hymn in the middle of Animal Kingdom. Was a priceless moment for her::tink:

Sorry about the UT parents:rotfl2:; we have "some of those" in our family too:rolleyes1! Actually ... my Godchild will become a UT grad next year and her "baby" brother just signed with Texas to play baseball. Four other cousins have attended the "Austin school" also:sad2:. Brother of the '10 Grad began at A&M (baseball) but left after the current coach took over. Went to Rice and Coach Graham and ended up beating A&M 2 years in a row which sent them to the college world series!:banana:
Anyway...in 2005 my husband had to postpone his DW arrival so my best friend went with me for 3 days. It was her first trip and when a cast member noticed her Aggie shirt and said "Gig 'em" she went nuts:rotfl:! They visited almost 30 minutes even singing the Aggie War Hymn in the middle of Animal Kingdom. Was a priceless moment for her::tink:

Well, I still love my parents anyway :laughing: My dad actually wanted me to go to Baylor, and was satisfied with A&M, because he said he remembered what UT was like when he was there and wanted me somewhere much more conservative. My mother on the other hand is still saying "it's not too late to transfer." And you can't blame the guy for leaving to play for Rice; they do have such a great baseball team :worship:

Now I think I'm going to have to pack some of my kazillion Aggie t-shirts to wear on the trip, that's a great story about the war hymn! I would definitely do the same. That would be SOOOO much fun!

Well, I still love my parents anyway :laughing: My dad actually wanted me to go to Baylor, and was satisfied with A&M, because he said he remembered what UT was like when he was there and wanted me somewhere much more conservative. My mother on the other hand is still saying "it's not too late to transfer." And you can't blame the guy for leaving to play for Rice; they do have such a great baseball team :worship:

Now I think I'm going to have to pack some of my kazillion Aggie t-shirts to wear on the trip, that's a great story about the war hymn! I would definitely do the same. That would be SOOOO much fun!

HAVE FUN!!! We'll be there in August and I CAN'T WAIT!:tink:

Almost forgot ....... if you ever get "tired":rotfl2: of wearing those Aggie t-shirts I can make a t-shirt quilt out of them. My part-time business is turning all kinds of treasured t-shirts/memories into useful quilts...vacation shirts/high school/college/favorite sports teams, etc.!:tink:

Almost forgot ....... if you ever get "tired":rotfl2: of wearing those Aggie t-shirts I can make a t-shirt quilt out of them. My part-time business is turning all kinds of treasured t-shirts/memories into useful quilts...vacation shirts/high school/college/favorite sports teams, etc.!:tink:

I have a friend who's got a quilt just like that of all his church camp t-shirts and I've always liked it! It's something I'll definitely consider a few years down the road when I finally grow out of my wear-an-Aggie-t-shirt-every-day phase :thumbsup2 I hope y'all have a great trip as well!

I have a friend who's got a quilt just like that of all his church camp t-shirts and I've always liked it! It's something I'll definitely consider a few years down the road when I finally grow out of my wear-an-Aggie-t-shirt-every-day phase :thumbsup2 I hope y'all have a great trip as well!

Keep me in mind when you get ready for that quilt! Take care and enjoy the "countdown 'till Graduation Day"!:tink:

I'm also sure that a lot of people confuse the 4th floor concourse with the lobby. The lobby at CR is very contemporary looking, although it doesn't have the grand height of some of the other resort lobbies.

I have a good friend that worked at CR for years until he retired (more than 20 years at WDW). He said there was talk several times about the art work on the elevators. The problem was that the tiles can't be removed without being destroyed because of the way they were put on and so far, at least, no one has been willing to destroy them. There was talk about coming up with a way to cover them with something else while leaving them intact - I think the last rumor was covering them with the brushed steel that was so popular at CR for a while back in the 90's.

If they could remove them and either archive them or reuse them at another venue, then I would say it would be a nice change to do something else on the 4th floor. But if they can't be removed without being destroyed, I'd like them to be left in place - although I wouldn't be adverse to some sort of covering so long as the tiles were preserved. DL has already given up a wonderful Mary Blair mural in the name of progress - it was destroyed and can never be viewed again. I'd hate to see that happen here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter