Considering DVC - Looking for Advice

I don't want to hijack, and I apologize if I'm stepping on any toes, but I'm also thinking about buying DVC resale in the next 6-12 months (or possibly sooner if a good deal comes along--problem is I don't know what a good deal is).

I was thinking about starting my own thread but I'll just follow along with this one unless I have too many question of my own. I still don't really even know what a Use Year is and how many points get you what. Lots to learn!

OP I envy you that you seem to know more about your needs and wants than I do!

I don't want to hijack, and I apologize if I'm stepping on any toes, but I'm also thinking about buying DVC resale in the next 6-12 months (or possibly sooner if a good deal comes along--problem is I don't know what a good deal is).

I was thinking about starting my own thread but I'll just follow along with this one unless I have too many question of my own. I still don't really even know what a Use Year is and how many points get you what. Lots to learn!

We are in the same boat and it is why I have flooded the boards with my incessant questions. Keep reading as much as you can!

You might want to check out the DVC Resource thread at the top of each DVC Board. It has a lot of basic information about DVC and the DVC resorts.

You might want to check out the DVC Resource thread at the top of each DVC Board. It has a lot of basic information about DVC and the DVC resorts.
Thanks; that is an incredible resource! Some people on these boards really put a lot of time and effort into gathering this information and keeping it current and it certainly is appreciated! I thought I knew how to "do Disney" until I found the Dis and then I realized there was so much more I didn't know. And now I'm beginning a new journey in learning all about DVC!

The problem is that for me it's a case if getting more confused before it all starts to make sense. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know!

To answer your question about use year, of the past six trips since 2013, two were in September (2016 and 2018, DLR), two were in November (2013 and 2014, WDW), and two were in January (2017 and 2019, WDW). Based on these times, I think a September use year would be the best fit, followed by October, and then December.
So is it better to choose a use year that's in the month before you will usually want to go? If you have no preference and will want to go at any old time throughout the year, does it matter at all what your use year is?

The problem is that for me it's a case if getting more confused before it all starts to make sense. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know!
I know what you mean, and I was about to insert an Einstein quote before I realized that you already had!

In the first years of DVC, owners booked their home resort at 11 months out from their check out day. To make sure they got their stay, owners would book single night stays starting on the first day after check in (11 months out). They would need to call to do this because there wasn't any online reservation system. They would tell MS each morning they called that they were adding to their first night (continuing reservation) until they got all of their nights. No one could book a night before them unless they talked to MS right before them on the same morning. The number of people booking was limited to the number of MS staff monitoring phone calls. For popular times, you might be waiting to make your reservation until another CM became available.

Then about 2005 or so (not real sure on the exact date), DVC allowed members to book their stay based on check in day for up to seven nights (eight days). In this case, if someone called the morning before you because they were checking in the day before you, they might have booked the last studio in the same resort you were planning on booking for a seven night stay. Plus with on line booking, many members could be booking their stay at the same time at 8AM ET until the computer system was maxed out.

In addition, people have gotten saavy about renting points at 11 months out to get those studios for the cheapest deluxe stay they can get. That, too, might change with the issues arising with the resorts being shut down during the COVID-19 period and people avoid problems by not renting points.
Interesting, thank you.

DVC sells the resort points to fill every unit, 365 days per year. However, some units and seasons have higher demand than others.

This is an issue with a points based timeshare. You don't have a specific unit in a specific timespan. Which means many owners can be competing for a unit at a specific date.
Thanks!

I've not had trouble getting studios at 11 months. Standard view studios have significantly lower point values than preferred view, or boardwalk view. Standards are difficult because of the number of people walking reservations. These days I book boardwalk view, and if I'm booking at 11 months out, no problem. The only time I wasn't able to get what I wanted was for early December, my manager would not approve my vacation 11 months out, so at 10 months out I went ahead and booked. I was able to get a beach club studio for half the week (with Beach Club points), and I had to spend the extra points on a 1 bedroom boardwalk view for the other half. I always book 11 months out and I prefer studios as I usually travel alone (although I resent the points for the "preferred" view). I've been an owner since 2007 and have been to F&W twice, early December twice. The one trip mentioned above was the only time I've been shut out of studios.
Thanks for the context!

So is it better to choose a use year that's in the month before you will usually want to go? If you have no preference and will want to go at any old time throughout the year, does it matter at all what your use year is?
You usually want a UY that will give you time to cancel and bank or rebook if you need to. That's why booking a trip in the last month of the UY makes it so tough. You don't have much time left to book if you missed your banking deadline. There are a few months out of the year that are not a UY month. January, Nov, May, July. So if you like to go in the summer, June might be a good UY. If you like the Fall, Aug or Sept may be best for you. If you plan on Dec every year, go with Dec. If you always want Spring Break, you'll want Feb, Mar or April depending on when you want to go.

This thread definitely helped me clarify UY, and I wouldn’t mind clarifying loaded vs stripped contracts if anyone wants to chime in. So my understanding is that loaded contracts have points available, and cost a bit more per point. Stripped contracts have to wait for the next use year for points to be available, and cost a little bit less per point.
If I am understanding this correctly, given the current situation, it would be advantageous to purchase a stripped contract if I would be unlikely to travel in 2020. It also seems that stripped contracts pay no dues until 2021.
Last question, there seems to be no shortage of contracts available at SSR, for a variety of points and UY. Would it be advantageous to take a wait and see approach to see if prices come down?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter