Considering a upgrade

RN jld

Mouseketeer
We are scheduled to visit WDW October 22nd -28th. It will be myself, my ex MIL and my boys (11&9). Currently booked at Movies and it will be our 1st time at that resort. We typically stay value resorts (have stayed at CBR and WL before) because we are all day park people. However with the Covid crisis and being a full time RN I am pondering treating myself (and the kids too I guess) to a upgrade as a remedy for all of this stress we are currently going through. If your a all day park person which resort makes you want to come back and spend some time there and why?

Firstly, thank you for everything that you are doing. 🙏
Do you think that you will/can/want to change your touring style? Would you actually chill on a balcony or around a pool or would you be itching to get to/back to the parks?
For ‘relaxation’ I think AKL is great. The Savannah rooms have balconies and there are lots of quiet areas scattered around the hotel with rocking chairs etc.
FQ has beautiful grounds and benches facing the river, but I don’t think that the rooms are any different from a value resort and really, how much can you truly relax around a pool with two children to watch over.

I hope that you find what you are looking for and find an opportunity to ‘recharge your batteries’.

BC sounds like a great option. You are walking distance or boat or skyliner to 2 parks. So it's very easy to get back to your resort for a quick swim or just to relax for a bit. It has storm along bay, which is an awesome pool with a huge pirate ship waterslide. If your boys are swimmers, they would love that. Also the boardwalk is right across the water and it has nightly entertainment from street type performers. My kids 11 & 7 LOVE watching them. Each show is only 10-15 minutes so it doesnt take a lot of time. I agree with the previous poster that AKL is absolutely beautiful and relaxing but it is not convenient at all for going back to for breaks and the pool is nice but there's nothing exciting about it. Lastly, from one healthcare worker to another, thank you so much. I know how it is spending your whole day caring for others because you truely love to do it. But never forget to stop and do some self care as well, it sounds like this trip will be well deserved.

Firstly, thank you for everything that you are doing. 🙏
Do you think that you will/can/want to change your touring style? Would you actually chill on a balcony or around a pool or would you be itching to get to/back to the parks?
I hope that you find what you are looking for and find an opportunity to ‘recharge your batteries’.

I think you need to answer this question first. For my DD & I chilling at the resort is high on the list of our vacation. We did a quick last minute trip in March (RIGHT before all this craziness started), and stayed at Pop, and were at the parks a lot more than we typically are... I commented to her that I was glad we weren't paying for a deluxe.

If you can say that resort time will important this trip I would second the Epcot area resorts... when I stay there I truly feel like I'm at a resort... I really find it relaxing. I'm partial to BW but love both BW & BC. However, if you think you'll be recharged with all days spent in the parks then save the $$ and so some experiences you've never done before... (MNSSHP, Hopp-Dee-Doo, a tour, etc).

Either way... enjoy and thank you for all you're doing!

We are scheduled to visit WDW October 22nd -28th. It will be myself, my ex MIL and my boys (11&9). Currently booked at Movies and it will be our 1st time at that resort. We typically stay value resorts (have stayed at CBR and WL before) because we are all day park people. However with the Covid crisis and being a full time RN I am pondering treating myself (and the kids too I guess) to a upgrade as a remedy for all of this stress we are currently going through. If your a all day park person which resort makes you want to come back and spend some time there and why?

Thank you so much for all you are doing to help us all through this crisis.

I would recommend looking at BC or BWI. BC has an amazing pool complex and, while some people don't like the clown pool at BWI, it's DS12's favorite and the pool deck at BWI is really nice because you can actually sit by the pool and have an eye on your children no matter where they are including walking up and waiting for the slide. Both resorts will give you great access to both EP and DHS making getting back to your resort from those parks super easy and the entertainment on the Boardwalk in the evening is a lot of fun (it's one of DS12's favorite things to do).

You’re heading there with your ex-MIL? Given that spin on it, I’d look into some of the DVC rentals to see if there’s anything with at least a separate bedroom. Can’t recommend any in particular as I haven’t done them, but having that separate area when somebody wants to rest is often highly overlooked. Another option in that regard is the Cabins at FW, as they have a separate bedroom too.

Or, if you’re really just looking for standard rooms, then our personal preference is POFQ, as a good balance of features to cost. Great relaxed atmosphere, small compact size means you can get around the whole resort easily. The other one we really liked was YC/BC, you just can’t beat that pool.

For the ultimate treat, you can't beat the Poly. It is so pretty, drinks in pineapples and dole whips are such nice vacation-y treats, and you can enjoy fireworks in the evening which will make leaving early for dinner and resort time easier if you are used to staying in parks for evening fireworks.

Given your group dynamic I’d go to a deluxe with capability for 5. my pick would be Poly or GF. The rooms are larger too. I think you’d appreciate the extra space. Plus they are very nice to hang out at! and there’s something extra magical being able to see the Castle from your resort, and watch the fireworks.

We certainly fit the mold of park people. It's just my wife and I now, so for some time we stayed at Deluxe resorts, just because we have our favorites. However, because we spend all day at the parks basically, we always felt we were leaving money on the table. That is until last Sept. when we stayed at GDT at CSR. It was just as nice or nicer than most of the Deluxe resorts and it was way cheaper. It's our new preferred resort at least until they decide to hike the prices which seems to be happening. Ha
For a nice upgrade we highly recommend staying Club Level at Gran Destino Tower. The Tower is brand new and the rooms are great. Add in the CL level and you have breakfast taken care of every day for everyone, plus other meals if you wish. It's a beautiful resort and the CL rooms face both Epcot and HS at night if you care to watch the fireworks.
It's the best bang for your buck IMO regardless of CL or not.
Or, you could keep the All Star Resort and just spend the money you would spend on the upgraded resort to attend an After Hours Event or two or even MNSSHP. We love the AH events and your kids are at good ages for them.

We found that we totally enjoyed having non-park resort days at Mods just as much as we do at a deluxe resort, and have a lot more $$ to spend on other things. POR & POFQ have boat transportation to DS and carriage rides not to mention great themes. Like Scubadaddy32 mentioned, I would also look into GDT. Our family is not a fan of CL so we, personally, would not spend all that extra $ on it. But I will say that GDT's CL does have scrambled eggs and bacon which other CL's do not, but if you have children like my 2 DDs they have to have their Mickey waffles.:rotfl2:

All day people here too.
hate value resorts for lack of stuff and hate deluxe for lack of value. Mod resorts all day imo, even after a long day it is refreshing to come back to a “upscale” resort (over value) in many aspects - food/rooms/decor
I say go for it if you can afford it, mentally it is so much better imo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter