Considering a ECV for first time.

DisneyMom53

Earning My Ears
I have a neuromuscular disorder that has progressed to the point I am considering renting a ECV for our upcoming trip. I can walk but usually blow out by the end of the first day and am then miserable the days after. I am thinking of renting a ECV to use going long distances ... entering the parks, land to land, etc. and parking it when I get to a central spot and venturing from there. I'd like to be able to leave a bag on the chair with jackets, drinks, etc (nothing incredibly valuable). I know the ECV will have a basket but should I bring/get a bag that will attach to the chair? What do ya'll use? Do you lock a bag on? What's your setup look like? Any advice for a first time renter would be appreciated. We are staying at Sheraton Vistana this trip so I'd like one that can go in the back of our SUV. Is there a company that will bring to the Sheraton and drop it off prior to our arrival? I welcome any guidance!

I have a neuromuscular disorder that has progressed to the point I am considering renting a ECV for our upcoming trip. I can walk but usually blow out by the end of the first day and am then miserable the days after. I am thinking of renting a ECV to use going long distances ... entering the parks, land to land, etc. and parking it when I get to a central spot and venturing from there. I'd like to be able to leave a bag on the chair with jackets, drinks, etc (nothing incredibly valuable). I know the ECV will have a basket but should I bring/get a bag that will attach to the chair? What do ya'll use? Do you lock a bag on? What's your setup look like? Any advice for a first time renter would be appreciated. We are staying at Sheraton Vistana this trip so I'd like one that can go in the back of our SUV. Is there a company that will bring to the Sheraton and drop it off prior to our arrival? I welcome any guidance!

HI Disneymom53:

There alot of incredible people on here who have excellent information about using ECV's, and they helped me a lot with my husband and the one time I had to rent one due plantar fascitis. I also have a severe form of fibromyalgia and used one at another time while in EP which is difficult for me to navigate.

I don't know if this will be any help. But we only rented one in the park, if we needed it. Some days I feel like I can do okay with rest periods. My husband doesn't have that option, however, as he has nerve damage to his leg and needs one. He is stubborn and will only rent one while in the parks, grr. And sometimes he won't even rent one, but uses a cane and rest stops.
We never bring a bag or coat with us so I can't help you with that, but I do feel that I wouldn't leave anything on one of the EVC's. But I'm probably being over cautious. We never had a problem renting while in the park, but it's more crowded now so I'm not sure how that goes. We liked renting in the parks as it made things more flexible on us, depending on how we felt.

Look at the threads on here and pick the one with ECV's. Mamabunny helped me a lot when I needed it and she is great. There are other's too.
Hope this helped a little.

Hi, DisneyMom53! I've never brought a bag to put on the ECV. However, I've seen some people who have a back pack put over the back of the chair, using the top of the chair like a person's shoulders (KWIM?) Usually the basket in front is big enough for everything I want too bring. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had anything "walk away" from my ECV while I was gone. I do always have a brightly colored bandana tied to the ECV to make it easier to identify. Not only is it easier for me to find, but I've occasionally had CMs who want to bring me my ECV when they see how I walk, and it makes it easy for them to identify when I say "It's the one with the pink bandana." I recommend renting from off-site because 1. It's cheaper 2. Off-site ECVs are easier to navigate than the huge park ones 3. You have it all the time, etc.
BTW, I also have a progressive neuromuscular disorder, Spastic Paraplegia, and the first time I had to rent an ECV, I cried that things had progressed to that point. But the crying stopped when I realized how much it helped me.

I have an upcoming 10 day trip, and there is no way I'd even consider it without an ECV. I have spinal stenosis, sciatica, spinal arthritis, some disc issues, and had knee surgery less than 2 years ago while we wait a few more years until I can do double knee replacement (oh fun). Yeah so walking 10 miles a day for 10 days ain't happening for me. Used one at Disneyland in the past and no way I'm ever doing any theme parks without one again. I've never had anyone bother my stuff on my ECV but I never leave anything of value on it. No way I'd leave a backpack... that's just asking to be taken. I'd much rather use a locker to store valuables. I also wouldn't leave drinks on mine since it's likely to be boozy and don't want a kid grabbing that!

As for rentals, I personally went with Gold Mobility Scooters for our upcoming trip, but there are many others. I know they offer 3 types of scooters: Pride Go-Go Sport, Pride Victory 10, and Pride Maxima. The Maxima doesn't come apart for transport. The Go-Go is the easiest to take apart and lift and has a smaller, lighter battery, at the cost of less power and travel distance. The Victory 10 is the sweet spot, if you can handle the added weight of components when taking it apart (they list the heaviest part at 61 lbs vs 36 lbs for the Go-Go). They come in 3 and 4 wheel options. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about these scooters including taking them apart and putting them in cars. I personally chose the Victory 10 3 wheel. My off-site hotel is on Gold Mobility's list for drop off and pick up which is also nice.

I have rented with three different offsite companies, the last time with Gold Mobility, and they were by far the best of the three in my experience. I will absolutely rent from them again. They are also highly recommended by other posters on here.

The only thing I leave on the ECV is a waterproof crib sheet that I have that I cover the seat with. Everything else comes with me when I park the ECV. Which means I bring a small backpack with me into the park. When I am riding the ECV it fits nicely sitting in the front basket. That also means I can keep an eye on it vs e.g. it being behind me where I can't see it. One of the security features of the bag I have is one of the backpack straps can be securely strapped to something, and I loop it to the ECV, usually just through one of the holes of the basket -- that way is something were to try to grab and run, they would not get anywhere with it.

The backpack I have is this one by Pacsafe: https://int.pacsafe.com/products/venturesafe-15l-gii-anti-theft-daypack: Pacsafe VentureSafe 15L GII Anti-Theft Daypack. I don't know if they make this specific model anymore for the US/Canadian market, however it is still available through some retailers, eg Amazon and others. We have had ours since 2013 and LOVE it. We deliberately brought Pacsafe for the security features, plus it was the right size. We use it as a park bag for WDW trips, and as our day bag for other trips when we need something larger than a purse, e.g. for Disney Cruise excursions, trips to the zoo. It has served us well and when it eventually dies we will replace it with another Pacsafe. On the US/Canada Pacsafe site it looks like this is probably the new version of the bag: https://pacsafe.com/products/venturesafe-15l-g3-anti-theft-daypack

Now, if you don't care about the various security features, you can get a similar size backpack for much less. Note that the size of the one I use is probably a good size -- too much larger and you will have issues fitting it into the basket. You can go a bit larger though -- I can fit mine plus our refillable mugs into the basket, so it doesn't take the entire space.

I've rented scooters for Disney trips over ten times. I would suggest an outside vendor, so that it is available to you 24\7. When your looking, most companies have models that breakdown to put in the rear of a SUV. Make sure you let the company know that you need a model that breaks down. I've used Gold Mobility, the last several times. You need to meet them in person for drop off and pick up. I actually prefer this, because they can answer any questions and address your concerns. (Know that there are a lot of scooter rental companies (Walker Mobility, Buena Vista Scooters, Scooterbug to name a few more)

I've always used a backpack. It is placed on the back of the wheelchair. I never leave anything in the scooter that I cannot afford to loose. I have other members in my party that bring it on rides. There are places either in front of you (pouches) or place the backpack on the floor, putting a leg through the strap - its secure and we have yet to loose anything. Please remember to turn off your scooter and always take your key with you. If you would like to park it, leave it near a stroller parking area.

There are four of us in our travel group with various Disability's. We stared using mobility scooters several years ago for all of our trips. Gold Mobility was by far the best scooter rental company we had ever used. They have best scooters and the longest lasting batteries we have experienced. Once you compare what the scooters include for the price they are the best value also. They were there on time for pickup and drop off. We have not one complaint. We already booked with them for the next trip.

I rented an ECV for one of our WDW trips back in 2017. I needed it like you, for getting to and around the parks. We would get to one land and then I’d just park it and walk to the attractions nearby. We used the basket for our water bottles, snacks, ponchos and brought anything else with us no issue. Just like we had previously left items in a stroller. Definitely make sure you get the one that breaks down to fit in your car (we rented a minivan that trip so could drive to the parks with it vs Disney transportation. Thankfully we were there in Feb so crowds were lighter and had no rain. I was concerned about maneuvering with lots of people but just give yourself distance from others.

Security: First you can lock the actual backpack. Next, once the straps are over the mobility chair to hold the backpack in place you can use a couple of bike cable locks between the straps of the backpack and the chair. The bike cables go on vertically. Keep in mind you will feel the cable on the back of the chair when riding it.

Keep in mind for longer ride lines you may want to take the scooter through the ride queue.

Also, make sure you take your battery charger with you to the parks in case you need to charge in the parks. Practice good battery conservation. For example, don't keep the scooter on during a show. Take your scooter key with you if you are leaving it sit someplace.

Do some practicing using a scooter like at the grocery store. Be aware other park guests will be preoccupied with their smart phones for genie and kids often dart out in front of your scooter; you need to be careful.

I ordered a backpack for the next trip rather than using the basket. Going to secure it to the back of the seat. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I ordered a backpack for the next trip rather than using the basket. Going to secure it to the back of the seat. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Yes, please tell us. What kind of backpack did you order? I put a backpack on my own scooter, and the first time I used it, I lost the backpack. So apparently, mine wasn't the right kind. It was a rayon-type material, probably just slipped off.

Yes, please tell us. What kind of backpack did you order? I put a backpack on my own scooter, and the first time I used it, I lost the backpack. So apparently, mine wasn't the right kind. It was a rayon-type material, probably just slipped off.
I let you how it works out.

Possibly may help you.. I use a YOREPEK extra large backpack for my scooter. The shoulder straps make it easy to secure to the seat. Along with this I use an Amazon brand rolling suitcase (I travel solo for the most part and need something I can roll along with my scooter and not get jammed up). I have purchased scooter specific things that are supposed to be attached and found them to be annoying and not great for the job. Since I'm not able to roll with more than 1 suitcase, the backpack is used for additional packing space (and I travel as lightly as possible).

Here is what I did for a bag on the back of my sister's scooter. She is on O2 24/7 so we need to carry spare batteries and hoses, along with some other items that are necessary for her to have handy. It would have been too much for me to keep taking on and off attractions along with the backpack that she keeps her O2 machine in. I bought a diaper bag that did not look like a diaper bag at a glance and took the long strap off. Then I used Velcro hook straps, to attach behind the seat by wrapping the strap around the side of the seat through the opening. Once we were through security, I used a combo lock on the zipper to keep it from being easily opened. I know someone could have just taken the bag off with the hook, but they are not actually the easiest things to open and close, plus the Velcro was wrapped around a few times. I thought about getting a longer combo lock to run through the seat as well, but we just remove the back for anything were we are away from the scooter for an extended period like a meal. We use this back/setup for any all day trip where she needs extra supplies, or even just snacks, like the zoo.

One member of our group decorated her ECV during a trip the week after Thanksgiving. She put on tinsel garlands, a string of battery-operated Christmas tree lights, and a few sparkly Christmas tree ornaments. People were stopping her all day to give her compliments. (And Chip and Dale tried to steal the shiny garland!)

On another trip, there were two of us who bought Jolly Roger flags and attached them to the scooters by sticking the flagpole into the pouch built into the seat back. Not only did it make them easily identifiable (like the colored bandanas), but since they were on relatively long poles they made us more visible to people who don’t look down enough to see an ECV coming.

I usually get the high backed scooters and put a Disney tote bag over the seat or in the back basket. Gold Mobility includes the back basket for free. In the front basket I have a small cooler with bottles of water. The bag didn't have anything valuable, ponchos, change of clothes for my dd, autograph book etc and I never had an issue leaving anything with the scooter. If we went around the holidays I would put a Santa hat on the headrest and during the summer I have a Mickey towel bag and I'd put that over the seat (also kept the seat from getting too hot) to help identify the scooter easily.

I have a heart condition but I'm young so I am able to walk, I just get tired easily and couldn't handle walking all day. While in the park I usually park it when we get to a land and walk when I can. Just look out for an ECV parking area, there are plenty around. It does help to have it because there is surprisingly little seating in the parks, so it has been beneficial to even have a place to sit when I need to.

Love Gold Mobility, I haven't been since the pandemic but their equipment was always top notch and they are very easy to work with.

Good for you that you've decided to use an ECV. My husband has a neuromuscular disorder with progressive disability and really fought against using one. However, the first time he did, he loved it and regretted he didn't use an ECV earlier. It saved his energy and allowed him to enjoy the park and our family the entire day.

Good for you that you've decided to use an ECV. My husband has a neuromuscular disorder with progressive disability and really fought against using one. However, the first time he did, he loved it and regretted he didn't use an ECV earlier. It saved his energy and allowed him to enjoy the park and our family the entire day.
It was a miracle the first time my husband and I rented one also. Made the trip special.

I know its not ideal but by any chance has anyone rented a scooter and rented a full size truck to be able to skip the buses? Still not feeling like being in a bus full of people in a tight space. The scooter we have rented comes a part I see but I don't want to do that all the time. We will be staying at BoardWalk so 2 parks are perfect but worried about AK and MK. We will be moving to Poly on are MK night so that works out great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter