Conquering ride fears, one at a time! Advice?

I have ridden them all at least once.

Rockin: Do it. It's fun. Brace your head against the back for the ride, because the start is the scariest. Scream like a girl. The take-of is a rush, like when you rev your car engine. After that it's pretty smooth. I close my eyes and listen to the music. Scream to release tension.

EE: I did it. I liked it on the first few rides, but after maybe 4 times of riding it (not sequentially) I started getting carsick on the thing. The strobe lights don't help since I have epilepsy. Also, you do get a terrifyingly high version of the entire park!! EEP!

Mission Space Orange: Don't get the big deal. It is a little claustrophobic, but nothing terrible. Play with the switches, have fun. It's a jazzed up spinner ride, that's all.

ToT: OK, I did this one on opening day under severe duress from fellow CMs. The line is AWESOME!! Stand in line at least, it's worth it. I did NOT like it. Don't like elevator type rides. Tried it again to make SURE I didn't like it. Tried it a third time, and yup, I don't like it. Just like I re-evaluate my dislike of shrimp, lobster and onions, I will try this ride maybe in three years, but I do not like it at all. If you want to see the lovely queue, take the elevator down - no shame in that.

Those are my in-depth thoughts for you.

ps: The spinning mouse coaster at AK is THE BEST "scream like a girl" coaster and I highly recommend it. So much fun!

Agreed! ="CAS239, post: 56098753, member: 514562"]Out of your list..easiest to most intense

Rockin Rollercoaster
Everest
Tower of Terror
Mission Space orange

The way to get over your fear is too just ride it. My first coaster was when I was like 12 at Six Flags New Orleans. It was a short coaster that went backwards the entire time and had corkscrews and a loop. I didn't want to ride it but my grandma pushed me to. Rode it and loved it. Now I'll ride any coaster out there.

-Rockin Rollercoaster: super smooth. Keep your head back and enjoy it. Loops and corkscrews might seem intense but you really don't feel them. It's all indoors, the A/C and music are great

-Everest: no loops, pretty straightforward fun coaster. The scenery is amazing on the ride and it's a lot of fun. The most intense parts are when you go backwards through the helix slightly upwards, and the big drop going outside. It's like Big Thunder Mountain on steroids. You of course don't go upside down but when you go through the backwards helix you're going at an upward angle so a lot of people "feel" like their about to go upside down. Keyword is "about", as no one feels like they actually went upside down

-Tower of Terror: only intense thing here is if you hate the feeling of your stomach dropping. I love the feeling so I enjoy the ride. If you don't mind the feeling then definitely ride it.

-Mission Space Orange: I'm not a fan of this one. Imo this is one of the most intense rides I've ever been on. Beating out any coaster I've done. The confined space doesn't bother me, but the spinning feature to give the negative and positive G's is what does it for me. This is the only ride I've felt like I was going to throw up[/QUOTE]
Agrred

RnR is best as it is as others have said short, indoors, air conditioned and an Aerosmith soundtrack. Centrifugal force keeps you in your seat so the inversions are not as scary as you anticipate. I bet it will quickly become a new favorite. Try to remember millions of people ride these safely, they are very well maintained and the best theming in the business. Everest is fine if you think of it as BTM on steroids. I agree with others that the backwards dark tunnel was the hardest part but ince you've done it you'll likely love the rest and want to ride again. As for TOT anticipation and the uncertainty factor is the whole fear there. You are never actually free falling but are pulled down and the car is always safely connected. Again remember the millions who have ridden safely. The theming and story are absolutely fabulous. The sensation is really fun if you remember your safe. Its just the deepest part of our pre-cave person brains, tellingmus we are actually falling and in peril. Lastly MS is very intense. I overcame my claustrophobia to ride it and now I love it. My Nephew best desribed it to me as a 4 X 1 minute act show. Keep breathing deep and follow their instructions carefully. Keep your head back, eyes open and facing front as to focus on the screen so your brain is into the story, not the mechanics of the vehicle. Bravo for setting your goals and facing your fear bravely. Now go slay those mental dragons. By all means, please enjoy it and let us know your thoughts afterward. Have fun!

Hey all...

So I am 41 and have never been on a roller coaster that went upside down. I've been on Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and BTMRR, and 7DMT, and didn't have any problems with those, though generally I can take them or leave them. I'm not crazy for roller coasters. LOVED Test Track, liked Dinosaur except it was just a tiny bit too jerky for my preference.

I am afraid of heights, like I would have to crawl across a natural bridge and can't stand on the top level of a set of bleachers without a railing, but I can ride a ferris wheel - I just choose not to look down. I have never really gotten motion sickness.

So I've decided I want to start conquering my bucket list ride fears one ride at a time. Of the following, which do you guys think would be the "easiest" to conquer?

- Everest
- Rockin Roller Coaster
- Mission Space: Orange
- Tower of Terror

I love the theming around Everest, and think I'd love the theming at ToT too. But I ADORE space, and secretly have always wanted to be an astronaut, so Mission Space is really something I'd love to do. I loooooove MS: Green. I plan on multiple trips to Disney in coming years, so I can tackle one per visit.

So which one would be the best way to gently dip my toe in the water? And do you have any tips for handling the ride you suggest?

THANKS!
Everest and Tower of Terror. I am able to do both. I do get motion sickness. But, I never have felt it on either ride.

Aw, thanks you guys! I can't wait to ride these now. Look for the girl in November who is outside Tower of Terror re-enacting the disco scene from Saturday Night Fever, shouting "I FREAKIN' DID IT! Go me, it's yer birthday!" at the top of her lungs.

Aw, thanks you guys! I can't wait to ride these now. Look for the girl in November who is outside Tower of Terror re-enacting the disco scene from Saturday Night Fever, shouting "I FREAKIN' DID IT! Go me, it's yer birthday!" at the top of her lungs.

Good for you!

As Dr. Leo Marvin says,
Baby Steps.

Concentrate on overcoming one attraction at a time, not as a whole.

The only other advice I can give you is to do Mission Space at the end of the day, that way if you don't handle it well it won't ruin your entire day.

Have fun!

I am the notorious ride chicken of the family. The one the teenagers take videos of to post online so their friends will laugh at me. They talked me into RRC last year and when it first took off, i was scared to death, but when it slowed down, I enjoyed it! I was shocked! Never before had I enjoyed a roller coaster!! We ride again, and I even smiled! Lol!! They dragged me to ToT and i was petrified while waiting, I just wanted to hurry and get on it so I wouldn't change my mind! When we locked in the " drop" cage I lost it, I was screaming before anything even happened. People were cracking up at me...then it happened! It fell, lifted, fell, lifted, fell, lifted and I screamed and laughed so hard!! It was a little scary, but, lol, SO FUNNY! You don't know if youbsre going up or down, and honestly, it was over SO fast. The whole car was laughing and screaming, it was a hilarious ride!! It did upset my stomach a bit...probably because I shut my eyes! But I am so glad I did it! I didnt want to be that mom that sat out and didn't join in the family fun. My kids were SO proud of me, and my hubby too! I am so thankful to have the awesome memories of riding these rides with my kids! Can't ride mission space cause I get claustrophobic and so motion sick! Found it kind of boring the one time I did...Everest was so fun also! Not scary, like the Banshee at kings island ( that ride scared me to death!) just fun! Get off the sidelines, make memories with your family, life is short! Enjoy , laugh, gighge, smile, and put your hands up! I am SO glad I FINALLY did!!!

I think RnRC is a solid choice, and I wish you the best of luck with it! I was terrified of roller coasters and wild rides as a kid, and now I can't get enough of them. There's really nothing for it but to just try things anyway, which I know isn't the most helpful advice.

As far as ToT goes, the big question is whether you're afraid of heights in the sense that you get scared looking at things from high up, in the sense that you don't like the "drop" feeling, or both? I've ridden a bunch of drop towers and have pretty much sworn off the open-air version of that type of ride because the anticipation of the slow lift, the momentary pause at the top before the drop...ugh. I'm not normally afraid of heights, but I'm always terrified on those rides, and not in an especially fun way. On the other hand, I absolutely adore ToT. While you can tell when you're about to drop, you start the drop cycle midway up the elevator shaft, and you can't see out to see how high up you are except when you occasionally hit the top and have your picture taken.

I would say Everest first. RnR is awesome but it does g upside town multiple times, ToT is my favorite, but I think its scary. Mission space is my least favorite. I don't like the closed in car.

The selections you present are not all roller coasters so it is a little hard. I agree that RnRC is the easiest and it does go upside down but hardly anyone notices that it does.

Everest, my favorite ride. There is a freaky part that goes backwards. A good second choice.

Tower of Terror...The drops are wayyyyy... different from roller coaster drops and some people don't like the feeling of leaving their stomach 30 feet up. I love it but not everyone does.

Mission Space, what can I say...It is a simulator ride that recreates the G-forces you may experience while venturing into space on a rocket. I love it but if you are claustrophobic, or don't like G-forces...well. You can avoid the G-forces by choosing "Green".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter