Congratulations to all us kids born in the 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's!

debbie_downer.jpg

hey I admitted it way in the beginning:snooty:

I love remember when threads :) this one seems to give credit to the idea that back in the days when we were free from safety regulations it was better and no one got hurt. Ever.

Yeah but isn't it all those people raised in the 50s, 60s, and 70s that raised/are raising the generation of kids being "overprotected" and not allowed to do all of those things?

Yeah but isn't it all those people raised in the 50s, 60s, and 70s that raised/are raising the generation of kids being "overprotected" and not allowed to do all of those things?

so free spirited that they became helicopter parents:rotfl:

this little jinty blames is on the government and regulations it has nothing to do with parenting:rotfl:

Some people here just need to lighten up. It obviously went clear over the heads of some of you but this is HUMOR. Look it up in the dictionary if you don't know what it means, then go off and start your own "Life was horrible in the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s" Thread.

Why do people feel the need to come in and dump on threads where people are enjoying themselves? I'm sure someone could post a harmless "Why did the chicken cross the road" joke only to be met with "My DH choked on a chicken bone so you should feel bad for starting this thread :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: "

I was thinking the same thing. I thought of a good term for it, but I can't post it on the Dis.

hey I was born in 1981 and i lived like that when i was young too and boy do I miss it!!! These kids now have all these vido games, and cell phones yest they still sit around and say they are board all the time... GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!!!

why does everything have to turn into politics?? If you dont like the tread dont read it, and be glad that there are people on here smiling about the way things use to be, maybe they came home from work and had a really bad day and read this and forgot about their bad day, that doesnt mean that when they take their kid to school tomorrow they arent going to make them wear a seat belt!!! Its called MEMORIES...so stop bashing them!!! Hey maybe you dont have any good memories, well instead of sitting here and bringing up everything negative you can think of (MAKE LOVE NOT WAR!!!) ....remember this from the 40's 50's 60; 70's 80's 90's and now...If you dont have anything NICE to say then dont say anything at all!!! Good day. GOOD DAY I SAID!!!

PEACE!!!!

I think my parents were pretty overprotective but I'm trying not to be. When DS gets hurt, I encourage him to get up and shake it off. We even have a sort of joke--"Hey is it broken? Yes? ALRIGHT!! Wait..don't move. Let me go get the chainsaw..I'll cut it off." ;)

I have to admit, I did have one serious freakout moment--a couple of years ago, DS got a teenyweeny little bike with training wheels for Christmas from a friend. I made the mistake of letting him ride it sans helmet and he crashed. Big time. Scraped the skin off his nose, busted his lip and really scared him to death. Scared me more than it scared him I think. He hasn't been on a bike (that one or any other bike) since.

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while
they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and
didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright
coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and
when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks
we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always exciting and great
fun.

We drank water from the garden hose or tap and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and
NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank cordial with sugar
in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we
were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride
down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running
into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem ..

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, No video games at
all, No 99 channels,No Pay TV, No cable, No DVD movies or surround
sound.

It's crazy! We even had

No mobile phones, No text messaging, No personal computers, No
Internet or Internet chat rooms.........

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke Bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did
not live in us forever.

Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told
it would happen, we didn't poke out anyone's eye.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or
rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who
didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard
of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem
solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
how to deal with it all!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow
up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives
for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how
brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with your eyes shut
holding a pair of scissors, doesn't it?!

Some people here just need to lighten up. It obviously went clear over the heads of some of you but this is HUMOR. Look it up in the dictionary if you don't know what it means, then go off and start your own "Life was horrible in the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s" Thread.

Why do people feel the need to come in and dump on threads where people are enjoying themselves? I'm sure someone could post a harmless "Why did the chicken cross the road" joke only to be met with "My DH choked on a chicken bone so you should feel bad for starting this thread :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: "

I agree! :thumbsup2 Lighten up people!

I was thinking the same thing. I thought of a good term for it, but I can't post it on the Dis.

why does everything have to turn into politics?? If you dont like the tread dont read it, and be glad that there are people on here smiling about the way things use to be, maybe they came home from work and had a really bad day and read this and forgot about their bad day, that doesnt mean that when they take their kid to school tomorrow they arent going to make them wear a seat belt!!! Its called MEMORIES...so stop bashing them!!! Hey maybe you dont have any good memories, well instead of sitting here and bringing up everything negative you can think of (MAKE LOVE NOT WAR!!!) ....remember this from the 40's 50's 60; 70's 80's 90's and now...If you dont have anything NICE to say then dont say anything at all!!! Good day. GOOD DAY I SAID!!!

PEACE!!!!

OP made it a political thread. OP said sent it off to your friends. If you want a nostalgic thread then don't post a political ending. Congrats on your good memories but there are PLENTY of people who would have BETTER memories if there were regulations on seat belts, bike helmet etc and perhaps the mom who had a miscarriage would have a child instead of of memory.

It is a discussion board peeps, you all need to lighten up yourself.

If you don't like what people say put them on ignore instead of bashing people who oppose your opinion and telling them to leave the thread:sad2:

I guess its the effects of the lead paint :sick:

Weird, huh? The same people who claim to miss the "good old days" won't let their boys use a public restroom until they are old enough to join the military, drive their kids to school everyday, and came up with the concept of "self esteem" coming from verbal BS, rather than the joy of accomplishment.

LOL, and just 'cuz the word "government" is in the OP doesn't make it political...:rotfl:

I think my parents were pretty overprotective but I'm trying not to be. When DS gets hurt, I encourage him to get up and shake it off. We even have a sort of joke--"Hey is it broken? Yes? ALRIGHT!! Wait..don't move. Let me go get the chainsaw..I'll cut it off." ;).

Heh, I always ask my DD "Are you bleeding? No? Then you're OK!" If she does get a scrape that bleeds, I make a big, humorous production of wrapping the "wound" in TP mummy-style before I put on the band-aid. It makes her giggle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter