Congratulations to all us kids born in the 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's!

What's wrong with blue cheese dressing and pregnancy? That's a new one for me.

I found this on kidshealth.com

"Although you need to eat plenty of healthy foods during pregnancy, you also need to avoid food-borne illnesses, such as listeriosis and toxoplasmosis, which can be life-threatening to an unborn baby and may cause birth defects or miscarriage.

Foods you'll want to steer clear of include:

soft, unpasteurized cheeses (often advertised as "fresh") such as feta, goat, Brie, Camembert, and blue cheese"

(I didn't know that either, but then again, I was born in the 60's.)

We were just talking about alot of these things in the office. I especially love thinking about summers when we played outside all day and yeah no problem getting a drink from the water hose.

Or the curb gutter! (Yep, I did this from time to time when I was a kid. Hey, when you're thirsty you gotta hydrate, right? :eek: :goodvibes )

we did survive but there are still real risk takers out there like the parents who don't have their kids wear seat belts or use a carseat:mad:

and the moms who still smoke and drink during pregnancy that do so because their moms did it...

my kids play outside a lot:) that's where they are right now. My mother wouldn't have been on the internet during the day. She would be ironing my dad's underwear.

My good friend lost her baby (1.5 years old) because he suffocated when he got tangled in a regular crib mattress and he never had a pilow, sheet or blanket in the crib.

It makes you wonder why some people or luckier than others.

How do you get tangled in a crib mattress? I'm having a hard time picturing it.

we did survive but there are still real risk takers out there like the parents who don't have their kids wear seat belts or use a carseat:mad:

and the moms who still smoke and drink during pregnancy that do so because their moms did it...

my kids play outside a lot:) that's where they are right now. My mother wouldn't have been on the internet during the day. She would be ironing my dad's underwear.

My good friend lost her baby (1.5 years old) because he suffocated when he got tangled in a regular crib mattress and he never had a pilow, sheet or blanket in the crib.

It makes you wonder why some people or luckier than others.

We actually had a set of lawn darts (aka "Jarts") when we were kids. :scared1: They were banned not long after we got them. Can't say I disagree with this, we could have put some pretty good holes in each other with those things.

My husband was just asking about these the other day because he wants a set. He was bummed when I told him they were banned. Is there a black market for them by any chance?? :lmao:

On the flip side of this, people thought nothing of throwing racial slurs at you in public. I saw this first hand many times. In fact, my parents' marriage (my father is asian, mother caucasian) was illegal in many states in the early 60's. Every era has its best-of-times and worst-of-times, IMO.

Yep, we were called LOVELY names from the city bus on a regular basis! I actually got called that when I was too young to know what it was!! Now THAT was one heck of a question to ask Mom! ;)

Darn the political correctness... I miss the good old days! :cloud9:

My husband was just asking about these the other day because he wants a set. He was bummed when I told him they were banned. Is there a black market for them by any chance?? :lmao:

We got my BIL a set of the old school lawn darts from the 70s off of ebay for Christmas a couple of years ago. He thought that was such an awesome gift. They were even in the original box. Man are they fun after a few drinks…"Incoming!"

Well, as one of the few Jewish kids in my high school, I once had swatiskas painted on my locker.

But, it wasn't a reflection of me, it was a reflection of their ignorance.

We got my BIL a set of the old school lawn darts from the 70s off of ebay for Christmas a couple of years ago. He thought that was such an awesome gift. They were even in the original box. Man are they fun after a few drinks…"Incoming!"

I'll have to keep checking Ebay. I'd love to surprise him with a set.

Well, as one of the few Jewish kids in my high school, I once had swatiskas painted on my locker.

But, it wasn't a reflection of me, it was a reflection of their ignorance.

:thumbsup2 Ain't THAT the truth...

Heck, if I absorbed the ignorance do ya think I'd be the kind of person I am today? Nope, it actually made me stronger. I can just about tackle any kind of ignoramus.... :goodvibes

Well... except some of the ones I encounter daily on the DIS!! :rotfl:

You should've gone to MY school, it was 90% Jewish. I barely went to school during September! :)

I checked eBay, nothing! Darn, should've kept ours, they'd be worth something.

:thumbsup2 Ain't THAT the truth...

Heck, if I absorbed the ignorance do ya think I'd be the kind of person I am today? Nope, it actually made me stronger. I can just about tackle any kind of ignoramus.... :goodvibes

Well... except some of the ones I encounter daily on the DIS!! :rotfl:

You should've gone to MY school, it was 90% Jewish. I barely went to school during September! :)

Yeah, well, live and learn. It's hard to knock down a New Yorker.

My mother used to yank me out of school during the holidays in September. I don't remember the school closing.

Mind you, I lived in Suffolk County in Northport; it wasn't exactly backwoods.

Does anyone remember caps? (Do they sell those things any more?) Those coils of black powder that you put in your cap gun or toy mortar? I loved those things. I remember going to the local park, there was always someone with firecrackers or cherry bombs to entertain us 7 year olds! :3dglasses

Yeah, well, live and learn. It's hard to knock down a New Yorker.

My mother used to yank me out of school during the holidays in September. I don't remember the school closing.

Mind you, I lived in Suffolk County in Northport; it wasn't exactly backwoods.

Our schools CLOSED... no choice, even the teachers and administrators were celebrating the holidays! I remember coming in after Labor Day then being out most of the rest of the month...LOVED IT!! :thumbsup2

Does anyone remember caps? (Do they sell those things any more?) Those coils of black powder that you put in your cap gun or toy mortar? I loved those things. I remember going to the local park, there was always someone with firecrackers or cherry bombs to entertain us 7 year olds! :3dglasses
I remember caps. Dad wouldn't let us play with them, so we had to use other kids'. But nobody acutally put them in the cap gun. We banged them with rocks until they popped...probably why Dad said, "no."

I remember lawn darts. I was yellow. HAD TO BE YELLOW. I didn't know they were now illegal. Another stupid law.

Hmm! I never new about the tuna thing. During my 1st trimester I ate a six inch SubWay tuna for lunch almost daily because tuna sandwiches and sprite were the only thing that sounded good to me at the time.:rotfl:

DS turned out ok!:thumbsup2

Hmm...

I grew up in the 90s and I played outside all the time because we weren't allowed to play video games, we were even given a gaming system and my dad gave it to charity.

I've also ridden in the back of a truck, but that was just inside of neighborhoods.

My mom did give up the booze to have me though, but I don't think they knew about any of those foods mentioned back when I was born.

Yeah, I don't want to revisit the past, you can still have a lot of the good parts without having to revisit skinheads and such. My bff was even approached by them in the late 90s, they thought she was mixed (half white half black), of course she was Puerto Rican. I really don't want to go back to a time where people had nothing better to do than scare the crap out of a little girl.

Great thread!

How 'bout this ...

I remember being about five or six sitting in the front seat :scared1: of my dad's pickup, not in a carseat :scared1: not in a seatbelt :scared1: while my dad drove with a can of Bud between his thighs! :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

By the way, re: the tuna fish thing, I think a lot of doctors have revised their recommendations about fish during pregnancy (or if they haven't, they should), because they now have data from a huge study looking at women who did or didn't eat fish (of all types) during pregnancy. They looked at the health of their babies and the rates of miscarriage and some other stuff and found out that babies did better the more fish moms ate, regardless of what type and how much mercury it contained. Turns out that the high omega 3s and other good stuff in fish far outweigh the dangers of mercury. 'Course, sticking to the lower mercury types of fish (actually, canned light - NOT solid white - has relatively low mercury levels) is probably a great idea :thumbsup2

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we
were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride
down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running
into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem ..

Those were the days :goodvibes

I hate this kind of stuff...has this been posted at Snopes yet? :headache:

So the lesson is, we should smoke while pregnant, sleep in lead paint beds, no helmets so we get concusions, no safety lids so kids can easily drink toxic chemicals, no seat belts or air bags so getting in a car accident is almost always fatal, no kids today have friends, we should eat worms, we should run with scissors, we should not do things that make us safer and less likely to die or get harmed, and while we produced great inventions we should not use them??

At least that's how I took it. The message is "Ignorance is bliss"? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter