Confused on Rope Drop time/arrival

KimberlyE

Mouseketeer
We've never done rope drop before at any park. (We have always had a character breakfast inside the park before rope drop.) For our upcoming trip, we want to be at MK at rope drop. We are excited to see the show and get to some rides/attractions early. We stay onsite but prefer to drive to the parks.

I am confused about getting to MK with the new monorail schedules. Our MK days are a Tuesday from 9AM-7PM and a Thursday from 8AM (EMH) - 10PM.

What time do we need to arrive at MK to get a great spot for the show and not be in the rear of the crowd at rope drop? Will we be able to catch monorail from TTC early enough or should we do the valet parking at the CR? Any other tips for a rope drop newbie?

We were just there yesterday. The park was set to open at 9. I think the monorail started at 9:30, but you can take the ferry boat much earlier. The opening show was actually at 8:45 and we were let in immediately after that. We were done Peter Pan and Pooh rides before 9:00 am.

We arrived at the parking lot around 8:15 am, then the time to park, walk to the ferry boat, take the ferry boat, go through bag check and go through tapstyles, and by that time the show was literally just starting. This was on a crowd level of 1 day though. I would plan to arrive earlier during busier times.

What are your dates?
Is it a busy time?

Need to get there 30 min ahead.
So get to parking lot 20 min before that

Both the ferry and a special bus route (your choice) will take you from TTC to MK when the monorail isn't running.

Thanks for the help! Our dates for MK will be 9/23 and 9/25. I am not sure what the crowd levels are predicted to be for those days. 9/23 closes early for the MNSSHP and 9/25 has EMH AM.

On you am EMH day you will find that it will be hard to get to the MK if you drive and you will be better off taking Disney transportation. They generally hold everyone at the TTC and start things late on purpose instead of checking room keys at the park for MK's EMH. Also even if you plan to park at CR in valet parking and you are going on a party day be prepared to be turned away and have to park elsewhere. They have caught on to people doing this and turn away MK guests who try to do so on party days since the lot gets very crowded anyway.

Wait - I am really confused now. So on EMH AM days, they hold everyone at the TTC until 9:00? So the only way to get there before 9:00 is a bus from our resort? Sorry to be so confused but I just don't want to get my plans wrong.

Also, I don't want to break any rules so please let me know. Can you park at the other resorts if you pay the valet fee? We have dinner reservations at O'Hana on our Tuesday MK day (we are NOT doing MNSSHP this trip). Is it okay to park there for our MK day and return for our dinner?

If you want to be right up front, I would get there 45 minutes ahead of time. If you just want to be there and you don't care about being right up front, 30 minutes ahead is probably fine.

The crowds significantly pick up between 30 and 15 minutes ahead of opening.

On the EMH day, you may well want to consider the bus from your resort. With the late monorail time and apparantly the hold up for the ferry this may be your only option. For the other days I would be at the parking lot NLT 815 and even 800 would be a good choice.
Side question. Is this monorail thing just for a short term or is this permanent?

Wait - I am really confused now. So on EMH AM days, they hold everyone at the TTC until 9:00? So the only way to get there before 9:00 is a bus from our resort? Sorry to be so confused but I just don't want to get my plans wrong.
Yes, on early magic hour days at Magic Kingdom, guests arriving by car at the Transportation & Ticket Center may be held there until almost the public opening time.

If you have an early restaurant reservation at MK or at a nearby resort, then you may ride the resort monorail where you may have to show proof of your reservation.

Wait - I am really confused now. So on EMH AM days, they hold everyone at the TTC until 9:00? So the only way to get there before 9:00 is a bus from our resort? Sorry to be so confused but I just don't want to get my plans wrong. Also, I don't want to break any rules so please let me know. Can you park at the other resorts if you pay the valet fee? We have dinner reservations at O'Hana on our Tuesday MK day (we are NOT doing MNSSHP this trip). Is it okay to park there for our MK day and return for our dinner?
You can go from TTC to MK by 8:00. I did it last month. They check your MB before the ferry dock.

Yes, you can valet park and then go to the park :)

Yes, on early magic hour days at Magic Kingdom, guests arriving by car at the Transportation & Ticket Center may be held there until almost the public opening time.
I'm not disputing this may be the case at certain times, but this was *not* in effect last month. I had no trouble parking at TTC and getting on the ferry at 7:45.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter