Complimentary towels at water parks for Resort Guests

Sandi

A proud Spartans fan.
We always go to the Water Parks when we visit in the hot months. I recall seeing that the water parks will now offer complimentary towels to resort guests with valid magic bands. That was not an option when we were there in August. Would love to do this in May.

Has anyone used this service? Where do you get the towels? We used to rent them when they were $1, but switched to bringing towels from the resort when they doubled the charge. It would be nice to not have to bring them.

Thanks!

P.S. I debated whether to put this question on the Resorts board or the Theme Parks strategy board. If a moderator wants to move me, that's fine. I just thought it would be more relevant for resort guests since they are the only ones eligible to receive the complimentary towels. Tx

I'm curious about this too. On the 1st day of our stay, before we check in to the GF, I thought we could hit the water park before we check in (we are arriving and staying off site the night before check in). I don't want to have to bring towels with us but am also not crazy about renting them.

I've not heard anything about free towels for resort guests. But you can take them from your resort pool (if at moderate or deluxe) and just check them in the used towel bin at the waterpark. Or just take bathroom towels from your room and then return them later (thats what I did).

It would only make sense to do this for resort guests.. Saves them money in the long-run. This way they keep towels were they belong as I noticed they do differ between resorts and room vs. pool towels. I am pretty sure some poor guy had to sort out the towels left at the waterparks.. We brought from PoR their pool towels with and dumped then in the bin at TL.

Not sure why Disney would take a paid amenity and suddenly make it free. That doesn't sound particularly Disney like. :confused3

Maybe I missed an announcement somewhere along the way.

I remember seeing the announcement, but it was after my August trip last year.

This is from the wdwinfo website (highlighting is mine) -- Posting at the same time as @modegard

General Typhoon Lagoon Information
  • Dressing rooms include lockers, dressing areas and showers.
  • Lockers are $15/day.
  • Life jackets are provided free; must leave driver's license or credit card as deposit. Water wallets are also available. Guests may NOT bring their own flotation devices.
  • Towel rentals are $2.
    (All resort Guests with a valid magic band are eligible to receive complimentary towels at Typhoon Lagoon.)
  • Two picnic areas are available, no glass containers or alcoholic beverages allowed.
  • Limited number of wheelchairs available at Guest Relations (guest must leave valid ID)

Not sure why Disney would take a paid amenity and suddenly make it free. That doesn't sound particularly Disney like. :confused3

Maybe I missed an announcement somewhere along the way.
I'm sure it's to keep people from bringing towels from their resort room and then leaving them in the used towel bins at the water parks. Which I fully admit to doing on our last trip; I didn't realize the rental towels at BB would be different from the bath towels in our room so didn't think to take pool towels instead.

Disney probably realized on-site guests were more likely to bring towels from their room (causing Disney to then have to sort the used towels and transport the resort ones back to where they belong) than to pay the $2 to rent one. Give them a free towel and it saves Disney the $$ for the towel-sorting labor and transporting the towels.

We were just at BB this past February with a split stay- POFQ and BWI. When I asked about the free towel for resort guests, the lady asked which resort guests we were. When I said POFQ I think she kind of hesitated and went on to say that they would normally charge but wouldn't this time and handed them over. The park was virtually empty. The second visit to BB that trip, we had moved over to the BWI by then, and I opened my towel request by announcing ourselves as BWI guests and we received our towels without any equivocation. I think that first attendant just wasn't sure of the policy and didn't want to commit herself; the second one seemed to move and react with more authority.

No one checked our magic bands either times though I had mine in sight and ready. I suppose at busier times they will check magic bands.

We went to BB on March 2nd and the towels were free. We were wearing our magic bands, and when I offered to pay (because I didn't realize the policy had changed), she asked which resort. I told the attendant that we were at the Contemporary, and she just handed them over with a smile and said, "have fun!" I think they gave us two towels each, but I may not remember that correctly.

This is awesome news!!! Way less stuff to carry and DRY towels! We'll plan on showering at the waterparks (faster the processing all of us through our room's shower)

We went to both Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon this past week, and towels were free at both parks. They didn't check my band, just asked where I was staying. I went to the stand alone, and was given towels for the whole family. It was so great! I agree, they probably did it because guests were bringing them from the resorts.

We went to both Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon this past week, and towels were free at both parks. They didn't check my band, just asked where I was staying. I went to the stand alone, and was given towels for the whole family. It was so great! I agree, they probably did it because guests were bringing them from the resorts.

Were you able to get more than 1 towel per person?? They're so small I always like a couple each to cover the whole chair...

Were you able to get more than 1 towel per person?? They're so small I always like a couple each to cover the whole chair...
Yes, they just gave me a stack, which was more than the 5 I had in my party, but I don't think they even counted how many they gave me.

Yes, they just gave me a stack, which was more than the 5 I had in my party, but I don't think they even counted how many they gave me.

Great - Thanks!! We always grabbed some from the resort pool before heading over then schlepped them back & put them in the towel return at the resort. This will save a lot of headaches!!

Great - Thanks!! We always grabbed some from the resort pool before heading over then schlepped them back & put them in the towel return at the resort. This will save a lot of headaches!!
We did the exact same thing! I was super happy about this change, and it makes sense. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter