Complicated old ticket question

You may be right and that would make me so upset - more than I already am. However, when we went to the Epcot Guest Relations to have them activated, the CM there confirmed the information as she did the tedious conversion from the DVC Gold Pass (no longer an option) to Sorcerers Pass for both DH and me.
That's another piece of info about GS at Epcot but a Gold pass is really just a Sorcerer Pass with a different name (and slightly altered calendar). It's not even asking for an upgrade.
I don't know definitely what would have happened had you looked to activate later but it makes no sense and doesn't follow what has typically been done.

Disney Springs guest services tend to be the most knowledgeable on the topic. I'd go there to get it handled.

Disney Springs guest services tend to be the most knowledgeable on the topic. I'd go there to get it handled.
Maybe someone with a DVC Gold Pass voucher will report back at a later time with success at no charge...I'm afraid to see that since we already activated ours. But I am curious.
Sorry to have hyjacked this thread with this issue.

I wonder whether the Passholder phone CMs or the Ticketing phone CMs would have had the same answer. In any case, I'm sorry you were forced to convert before you wanted to.

I wonder the same thing. I have Platinum passes from 2015, and they have the 2030 date, in my MDE. When I check annual pass for reservations, logged in, it takes me to a table that always shows unrestricted reservations, as is. I do not have a plan to use them yet, as I figure once I begin use of the vouchers, I will also renew the next year, so I have some other tickets to use up first. I'm going in February so I might have to give ticketing a call.

They should not require any upgrade or more cash thrown in until after 2030.

Just my opinion so will see what happens. I'm in no big hurry, other than to use by 2030.

The other thought is that I paid a little over $500 for them. A three day hopper costs more than that.

Meanwhile, I've been using 10 day park hopper plus no expiry tickets, and still have more. Planning on finishing off the one in use during my February and March trips. It will still contain the pluses as I haven't used any.

Also have regular park hopper that is not date based, in addition to the AP. Looks like me and ticketing will be doing some talking soon.

They need to honor what they sold us, then told us - equal exchange with PhotoPass, exchangeable to the best available AP. 2030 is just a placeholder expiration like MYW tickets.

@mickeymom629 did they add PhotoPass to your new passes like they should have?
I was just coming to ask this about the photo pass also! Both annual passes should have had this added automatically at no charge. Hopefully they did so!

They need to honor what they sold us, then told us - equal exchange with PhotoPass, exchangeable to the best available AP. 2099 is just a placeholder expiration like MYW tickets.

@mickeymom629 did they add PhotoPass to your new passes like they should have?
Yes, they gave me Photopass.
Also, they were able to see the 2030 expiration date as well, to reply to Lehuaann.
Also, I was able to reserve park days on MDE because of the voucher in my account and probably could have continued to do that even if I had not activated the vouchers yet, as someone else said.

I have old MYW tickets that I have converted to hard tickets at DS GS a couple of trips ago. I have used a couple on a previous trip but I have not added all of them to my MDE yet. Hopefully these type of tickets will never need to be upgraded for a fee!

Also, they were able to see the 2030 expiration date as well, to reply to Lehuaann.

So they saw the 2030 expiration and still coerced you into an exchange? Wow

The issue is that our Gold AP falls under pre-August 2021 terms (no expiration, plus PhotoPass).

THEIR solution was to give us Exchange Certificates with a placeholder expiration (2030 or 2099) exchangeable for an equal AP, in this case Sorcerer. We don’t upgrade, we exchange.

The new APs have a (1) year expiration from purchase, then disappear off the account.

Ours never disappeared from our accounts because they don’t expire.

I can’t remember where I read back in 2022 that AP vouchers were going to expire just like dated tickets. They would only be worth the amount paid if not activated by the end of 2023. We had a platinum voucher which I activated in Oct 2022 at Epcot because of that and they forced me into a Sorcerer pass since I’m DVC. There’s a thread that talks about this from back then but I couldn’t find it.

We bought six Platinum AP vouchers with an expiry date of 2099 prior to the pandemic. Our first post-lockdown trip in December 2021, when we went to Epcot IG Guest Services to activate one set of vouchers, the CM there suggested we convert all the Platinum vouchers to Incredipass vouchers because she wasn’t sure how long they would be allowed to do so for no additional $. Guess that change may finally be taking effect. Will be interesting to see what happens in 2024.

Thank you all for the replies and interesting discussion.

@PolyRob mentioned "it depends on where/when you purchased them." Very good point that I hadn't even thought about. The original tickets were from 2020 that I purchased at a discount from Undercover.

I sat down with large pot of coffee and some snacks and a fully charged phone at the ready and started the complicated exchange this weekend. Took me about 90 minutes on a couple of phone calls. Here's how it went.

I started with a call to Ticketing. Not too bad, about a 15 minute wait time. I stated I wanted to keep the same ticket (6 day park hopper plus) but change the start date to this April. I provided the original reservation number. That CM eventually found one of the two tickets and began the process but quickly ended with "Oh, this was purchased from a 3rd party. I'll have to transfer you to a supervisor."

And back on hold for another 15 minutes. Another CM picked up, asked how she could help. I explained that I was being transferred to a supervisor, etc. She replied that she was not a supervisor but, "let me see if I can take care of this." She located the original ticket. I told her there was another ticket that had been converted by Ticketing on the same day that I purchased them from a child to an adult ticket because I purchased the wrong one. She was able to track that ticket down too and was able to change the start date on both (so much for CM1's statement that this had to be done by a supervisor). To change the date on both to this April it was about $600 for both combined. A ~60% increase from the original cost just 4 years ago in 2020. ☹️

Then, I rang DVC to convert these to Sorcerer Passes. The CM was able to do that, though very complicated because our daughter got married (name change) and she moved to a new home with her new family (address change). The DVC CMs are mighty quick to incorrectly jump on "She has to live at your address to be eligible for this pass," band wagon, when in fact she herself is on our DVC deed. I finally straightened out that CM and things proceeded. Another $400 roughly combined plus $200 combined to add the water parks and another $100 to add Memory Maker to one of them.

So, all in roughly $1,000 saved by using the value of the old tickets.

I can’t remember where I read back in 2022 that AP vouchers were going to expire just like dated tickets. They would only be worth the amount paid if not activated by the end of 2023. We had a platinum voucher which I activated in Oct 2022 at Epcot because of that and they forced me into a Sorcerer pass since I’m DVC. There’s a thread that talks about this from back then but I couldn’t find it.
My understanding is that was to be for new AP vouchers sold going forward. Old tickets still have no expiration. Disney had grandfathered them in and had done so with older pass types too.

My understanding is that was to be for new AP vouchers sold going forward. Old tickets still have no expiration. Disney had grandfathered them in and had done so with older pass types too.

What is interesting is one of the CMs at GR in DS last Speing told me that the Gold vouchers would only be upgraded for free until the end of 2023.

When I asked about the date, she said that because they no longer offer that price pass, and stopped selling it in 2020, it can’t be converted any longer and that Disney had given people the 3 years grace.

If someone doesn’t want to pay an upgrade, they would be offered a refund for what was paid.

Since we had already exchanged, it didn’t impact us, but I thought it was interesting since that isn’t how it has always been.

But, we shall see what actually happens next year. My guess is that someone will get a manager to honor what has always been done.

What is interesting is one of the CMs at GR in DS last Speing told me that the Gold vouchers would only be upgraded for free until the end of 2023.

When I asked about the date, she said that because they no longer offer that price pass, and stopped selling it in 2020, it can’t be converted any longer and that Disney had given people the 3 years grace.

If someone doesn’t want to pay an upgrade, they would be offered a refund for what was paid.

Since we had already exchanged, it didn’t impact us, but I thought it was interesting since that isn’t how it has always been.

But, we shall see what actually happens next year. My guess is that someone will get a manager to honor what has always been done.
I guess I'll see what happens when I finally go to activate the last voucher I have. It was for the old DVC Pass with no blackout dates and was a purchase incentive. In March I had activated for the same type although a purchased voucher. Nothing was mentioned at the time of any restricted time coming up. That was done at an AK Ticket window. That pass type has been gone from the system for years so if they won't activate for a comparable then it's simply a choice vs having anything to do with it not being in the system.

I guess I'll see what happens when I finally go to activate the last voucher I have. It was for the old DVC Pass with no blackout dates and was a purchase incentive. In March I had activated for the same type although a purchased voucher. Nothing was mentioned at the time of any restricted time coming up. That was done at an AK Ticket window. That pass type has been gone from the system for years so if they won't activate for a comparable then it's simply a choice vs having anything to do with it not being in the system.

I didn’t get the sense that they couldn’t do it because of the system, but rather that since they dont sell that pass anymore, that the expiration date doesn’t matter and why they said they would be charging.

I agree it’s a choice on Disneys part if it works out to be true.

I didn’t get the sense that they couldn’t do it because of the system, but rather that since they dont sell that pass anymore, that the expiration date doesn’t matter and why they said they would be charging.

I agree it’s a choice on Disneys part if it works out to be true.
The exact same could be said for several ticket options too. Or are they not allowing any of those to be used either?

The exact same could be said for several ticket options too. Or are they not allowing any of those to be used either?

Not sure...I was specifically discussing the expiration of a voucher for the Gold AP...so I assume the CM was only referring to those but it is possibly it was all?

But, with Disney, it will be interesting to see if people have that experience beyond the one report we have here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter