"Competition" swimsuit question

bjscheel

(Avatar art by my daughter)
DD13 wants a one-piece. Generally she wears a bikini top under a rashguard, and boy shorts. I looked at the usual places, JCP, Lands End, Kohls, Old Navy, etc. and there don't seem to be one-piece suits that are her size (girls 16-womens 1/2), AND a youthful looking print, AND with some sort of bra lining or support (she's not that big but doesn't want a flimsy girl's suit wet and clingy at the chest).

A quick search here lead me to swimoutlet.com. The women's competition suit section has one-piece suits in really cool prints she will love, and at reasonable prices. My question is, the suits I'm looking at (Dolfin, Sporti, The Finals, Nike) I can't see that there is any bra lining. Is there? Or are they just snug enough to smooth and support without one? Or what?

For example:
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/35888.htm

After I get that figured out, next I will have to figure out the sizing (numbers like 28, 30, 32...will have to study the size charts).

Thanks for any help

The suits you are looking at will have a lining of the whole suit, but not the bra area specifically. The suits will hold you in, but not give you support. My DD swam, and this is what she wore for years. The dolfins are definitely a thinner suit that will wear out quick. The Nike would be a thicker material.

Both my children were competititon swimmers and wore Speedo swimwear. A little more pricey, but really good quality. As the previous poster said, they are fully lined, but there is no extra support for females.

Funny, I was just pulling out all my girls swimteam suits. They are not on the swimteam since we no longer belong to the pool.

The swimteam suits are meant to fit quite snug and have all over lining. They are suppose to be snug because after the season they tend to sag in the behind. We never had that problem and I actually would buy them a tad big as to get use for more than one season . If I remember correctly the sizing is different from anything I knew. Like my DD would take a size 22 or something like that.

A few times I was lucky to find awesome one pieces at major discount prices at Dicks Sporting Goods or Omega Sports. I found awesome Speedo for under $15.

The swimteam here wears purple & black. They change the design every two years but no one is required to wear that specific swimsuit. Often the girls will wear ones from previous years. They usually wear the official pool colors at competitions and other one pieces for daily practices.

I was hoping to contact the pool about putting up a flyer to try to sell the several ones I have that are in excellent condition. I am not sure how to price them. New ones sold by the pool run around $60-75, since these are older designs do you think $20-25 is fair?

Good luck and let us know which one you get.

The suits you are looking at will have a lining of the whole suit, but not the bra area specifically. The suits will hold you in, but not give you support. My DD swam, and this is what she wore for years. The dolfins are definitely a thinner suit that will wear out quick. The Nike would be a thicker material.

Exactly. I just got 2 new suits from Swim Outlet yesterday. They are a good company to deal with if something doesn't fit. Keep in mind that suits like Speedo, TYR, etc go by different sizes. I wear a size 6 in ladies and a size 28 in a training/competition suit. I wear a lycra suit for about a month of 12 practices, 90-120 minutes each. The reason I usually have to give them up is due to stretching out too much. Swim Outlet has grab bag suits right now that are on sale for $13.

If you need support in the upper portion of the suit, speedo has some with built in bra's. They have those at Academy. If you do not need much top support my children liked the Dolphin Uglies. I would get those at year round swim meets or swim outlet. Just my .02 when it comes to suits. Rinse the suits in water as soon as they take them off. Also, when you wash them do not put them in the dryer.

I'm a water fitness instructor and wear suits like these 4 days a week. As other posters have said there's no built in bra in this type of suit. They will flatten you out but will still show when you are cold! :Santa:
I love my Sporti and my The Final Funkies. The Funkies fit a bit more snug. I'm a size 10 ans wear a size 34 or 36 (in the Funkies).

Oh, I only order my suits from swim outlet!

My daughter is a competive swimmer. She likes TYR or Dolphin Uglies. She likes the racerback thin strap suits. We usually bye from the swimoutlet.com or swimtowin.com. She is 15 and can wear a size 28.

As other posters have said there's no built in bra in this type of suit. They will flatten you out but will still show when you are cold! :Santa:

Hmmm, these suits have such neat designs and good coverage but I'm thinking this will be a deal breaker for her. If only they made these styles and patterns with a soft cup bra for those that aren't competing. I have still been looking and every one piece is too low cut, too mature, not her style, or super expensive.

My DD is a swimmer, also. The lycra suits do wear out faster than a polyester suit, like the Dolphin Uglies. Speedo Endurance is also a polyester suit. Tyr's polyester suit is Durafast. As girls get older, I think a thinner strap looks better on them than a wide strap. The wider strap however, may give additional support. My DD is 5'4", 127 pounds. She wears a size 30 across Tyr, Speedo and Uglies. As a PP stated, girls like the Dolphin Uglies. They come out with cute holiday designs. My DD had the Halloween witch pattern last year. The test to see if a suit fits, pull on the straps. The straps should come about half way to your earlobe. Also, any baggy, loose, rippled fabric means the suit is to big. A suit may feel tight at first, but with repeated exposure to a pool, it will loosen up. My DD just rinses her suit in cold water after practice and then it hangs to dry. Again as a PP said, don't put it in the dryer. This will cause the fabric to break down faster. The swim suit water extractors will also wear a swim suit faster. Here is another link. http://www.all-americanaquatics.com/

I hope that works for you. Delias is a great place for teen apparel, as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, especially when they are still growing. Plus the kids think it's 'cool'.

I was going to say to try here: http://www.kiefer.com/swimwear-online-pages-42.php

Not sure anything is there that she may like or is in cost range, but I have gotten guard wear here that I like & it lasts. Check the clearence here, & other sites. Last year suits are still current enough and can be quite a bit cheaper!

Also, depending on how she is growing, I usually get mine a size larger than I wear, so that I am not stretching it all out of shape the first time in & out of it.

I do teach swimming & burn through suits pretty quick though!

The test to see if a suit fits, pull on the straps. The straps should come about half way to your earlobe. [/url]

To test if a suit fits, when you lift it from the straps, it shouldn't come more than an inch off your shoulders. If it comes up higher, than it's too big.

Costco has had some Speedos with lining in them but they may be too old for your teen. Ross has some adorable Speedo ones with the lining just at the chest area.

OP, I just saw a nice suit from Old Navy. Maybe check out their website to see what they have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter