Comparing Renting versus Transferring Points

I have done transfers in and out over the years. I like control of the points when I transfer in and I like not being liable for any room problems when I transfer out. I also like the quick timeframe of transfers.
I have also rented in and out. I rented in when I couldn't get a transfer I needed for an 11 month reservation. I rented out when DH was sick and we couldn't travel for a year and I had so many points that a single transfer out wasn't possible. All the options are good for different needs. I have had excellent experiences with all of the above transactions.

So if someone transfers points to you, they don't show up on your dashboard? How are you able to use them for booking then? Help! I'm confused! Also, can someone confirm, if someone transfers points to me, do I get the 11-month booking advantage of that person's home resort?

So if someone transfers points to you, they don't show up on your dashboard? How are you able to use them for booking then? Help! I'm confused! Also, can someone confirm, if someone transfers points to me, do I get the 11-month booking advantage of that person's home resort?
You need to call Member Services to use transferred points, which is only a problem if you want a hard to get reservation because MS opens an hour later than online booking. Yes, transferred points retain the original resort and use year.

If you receive a transfer of points that match the resort and UY of one of your contracts, MS will put the transferred points in that contract and you will see them and can use them to book online. If the points transferred in are not an exact match, MS tracks them some other way so you cannot use them to book online, you have to call MS to book a stay with the transferred points.

Yes, transferred points retain their identity so you can use them to book 11 months out at the home resort of those points.

If you receive a transfer of points that match the resort and UY of one of your contracts, MS will put the transferred points in that contract and you will see them and can use them to book online. If the points transferred in are not an exact match, MS tracks them some other way so you cannot use them to book online, you have to call MS to book a stay with the transferred points.

Yes, transferred points retain their identity so you can use them to book 11 months out at the home resort of those points.

This has helped me SO much. I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy transfer points Poly or AKV, but now I will definitely be looking for Poly points since that is the only contract we have. I would have been VERY disappointed if I paid for AKV transfer points and couldn't see them. So glad I saw this! Thanks :)

I prefer transferring in points rather then renting them so I can control the points and the reservation. I knew I wanted GCV for June so I found a DVC member with GCV points they were wanting to rent so I had 11 months booking advantage. I will likely do the same thing when we plan to go to Aulani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter