College Program vs. Professional Internship

MummyButterfly

Earning My Ears
If my son is thinking about applying for a Professional Internship - how does that differ? It says there is limited housing available, but it's not as detailed as the College Program website.

His major doesn't require an internship, but it will look better for grad school apps, and he loves Disney. But there isn't near the information that I can find on the College Program.

Do they basically work the same if the hired employee is under 21? Or totally different?

College Program participants are placed in the parks and resorts in front-line roles: attractions, food service, merchandise, etc.

Professional internships exist throughout the company, both in an out of the parks. They cover everything from web development to engineering to sales to graphic design. These roles are comparable to internships at other companies (something the DCP is not).
There are 3 PI sessions - Spring, Summer, and Fall
Spring generally goes from January - May/June
Summer May/June - August
Fall August - December/January

Many of the office positions have M-F, 9-5 hours. But there are plenty of exceptions to that rule depending on the department and their needs.

For housing, Disney partners with Falcon Square complex in Independence and sub-leases to a limited number of PIs (there are also other, non-Disney tenants at Falcon Square). There is no transportation offered, and no other special amenities like in CP housing. Many PIs live outside of Disney housing during their internships.

Like the DCP, someone is not allowed to be an intern for more than 12 months.

What degree is your son getting? What are his career goals?
Doing a PI can be an amazing experience.
I did one in 2015 and transitioned into a full-time role with the same team in 2016.

Last edited:
^ In addition to the awesome overview SureAsLiz just posted, there are a few differences with the requirements for PIs!

For the DCP, you have to have completed at least one semester of college. Second semester freshmen and sophomores can apply. You can apply for the DCP until 6 months after you have graduated from college.

The rules for doing a PI fluxuate a bit more depending on the internship. For starters, all PIs are for older students- usually you have to be through with at least junior year for most internships. Recent grads are also welcome to apply for the PI program. It's also important to note that many PIs require you to have successfully completed a College Program!

So if he's interested in a Professional Internship, I recommend doing the College Program first and applying for a PI for the next season while he's on the CP.

I did a PI in horticulture back in 2000 - such a great experience!! They set up offsite housing for us and assigned us roommates based on questionnaires we filled out for compatibility. Our portion of the rent was deducted from each paycheck. We had to provide our own transportation as well. I did not do the College Program, that was not a requirement for horticulture. Oh, and I had just completed my junior year at the time of my internship. Also, our hours were very early - latest start time was 6am.

Last edited:

It's also important to note that many PIs require you to have successfully completed a College Program!

There are positions that are alumni only or Management, but those are far fewer than the ones that don't require any previous experience. Doing a CP can be great, but definitely don't see it as a requirement. Of the 8 or so interns who have gone through my area in the past 2 years, none did the CP or had any prior Disney experience. Same with the 4 that are starting next week (obviously a very small set of data)

There are positions that are alumni only or Management, but those are far fewer than the ones that don't require any previous experience. Doing a CP can be great, but definitely don't see it as a requirement. Of the 8 or so interns who have gone through my area in the past 2 years, none did the CP or had any prior Disney experience. Same with the 4 that are starting next week

Hmm, interesting. My understanding was that most PIs were alumni only- I know a few years back you had to be an alumn to do any PI because my cousin tried to apply for one but ended up having to do a CP before she could apply for anything. Thanks for letting me know.

^ In addition to the awesome overview SureAsLiz just posted, there are a few differences with the requirements for PIs!

For the DCP, you have to have completed at least one semester of college. Second semester freshmen and sophomores can apply. You can apply for the DCP until 6 months after you have graduated from college.

The rules for doing a PI fluxuate a bit more depending on the internship. For starters, all PIs are for older students- usually you have to be through with at least junior year for most internships. Recent grads are also welcome to apply for the PI program. It's also important to note that many PIs require you to have successfully completed a College Program!

So if he's interested in a Professional Internship, I recommend doing the College Program first and applying for a PI for the next season while he's on the CP.

There aren't any PIs to my knowledge that require the College Program unless they have drastically changed the PI program. If you have similar experience not with Disney you can be just as competitive as someone who completed a PI.

Adding in that it is incredibly difficult to get some PIs so if he wants an internship to look good on a resume Disney should not be the only thing he is trying. Some years they will take applications and only have 1 or 2 spots. Other years they'll take outside applications but actively filled the roles with students from the local college that already have a relationship with Disney. Now some PIs did seem to take anyone and everyone with the minimum requirements when I applied because Disney had a ton of temp roles to fill in higher level skill sets so used PIs to fill them (GR when FP+ first launched).

Hmm, interesting. My understanding was that most PIs were alumni only- I know a few years back you had to be an alumn to do any PI because my cousin tried to apply for one but ended up having to do a CP before she could apply for anything. Thanks for letting me know.

They now have an application specifically for Alumni with breakdowns within it for different departments, or did when I applied 2 years ago

That makes sense. Thank you! Gonna keep that one in the back of my mind. :thumbsup2

I will add that a passion for Disney is something my managers look for when hiring interns. Having worked for the company definitely helps with that, but it's not a requirement. My role specifically works with systems that guests use on a daily basis, so having a general understanding of how they work is definitely a plus

Prior to my internship, I had only been to Disneyland twice (my first time seeing Cinderella Castle was during Traditions), but was able to talk about what in those two trips made me want to work for the company. It wasn't much, but it was apparently enough to give me somewhat of an advantage.

I did a PI in horticulture back in 2000 - such a great experience!! They set up offsite housing for us and assigned us roommates based on questionnaires we filled out for compatibility. Our portion of the rent was deducted from each paycheck. We had to provide our own transportation as well. I did not do the College Program, that was not a requirement for horticulture. Oh, and I had just completed my junior year at the time of my internship. Also, our hours were very early - latest start time was 6am.

He's will be majoring in Entomology - and this sounds closest to what we were told on our last Disney Trip (back in 2014).

THANK YOU - everyone - for your help! I've passed this info on to him (and encouraged him to make his own DisBoards account.) ;)

He's will be majoring in Entomology - and this sounds closest to what we were told on our last Disney Trip (back in 2014).

THANK YOU - everyone - for your help! I've passed this info on to him (and encouraged him to make his own DisBoards account.) ;)

One position that he might encounter is Animal Education Presenter (or something similar). These are Wilderness Explorers, so they are working in the park with kids. I will keep an eye out when Fall 17 positions are posted to see what the role is actually called.

There are some zoology-type positions though that would be more science based

They sometimes offer a PI back in Rafiki's Planet Watch area. I know Entomology isn't really vet care but hey Disney does have bugs they bring out for their education walks so someone has to take care of those. Don't let him write off a PI though. I suggest if he has any sort of interest in the field that it is in and has the minimum requirements to go ahead and apply. Worst case is a NLIC best case a new experience!

They sometimes offer a PI back in Rafiki's Planet Watch area. I know Entomology isn't really vet care but hey Disney does have bugs they bring out for their education walks so someone has to take care of those. Don't let him write off a PI though. I suggest if he has any sort of interest in the field that it is in and has the minimum requirements to go ahead and apply. Worst case is a NLIC best case a new experience!

One position that he might encounter is Animal Education Presenter (or something similar). These are Wilderness Explorers, so they are working in the park with kids. I will keep an eye out when Fall 17 positions are posted to see what the role is actually called.

There are some zoology-type positions though that would be more science based

There is a specific PI for Entomology - it's in Epcot. That's the one he's hoping for. :)

While I think every reply thus far has done a great job at explain differences and requirements, I just wanted to give a little overview with my personal experience working with TWDC.

I did 2 CPs. My first was Fall 2011, while still in undergrad. I decided to go back and do a second one after graduation. During my second CP, I really networked and showed my leaders that I wanted to continue working with the company and was hoping to get a PI. Luckily, with the help of a few of my leaders, I was able to get a PI which led to a full time role.

If possible for your son, I recommend apply for the DCP & PI. This way if for some reason, he doesn't receive the PI he is interested in, he can still go down and start creating those relationships and networking. My second CP was actually cut short because I received my PI offer.

If you or your son have any questions, please let me know :) I'll be happy to help!

Last edited:
My son applied for the CP and for a PI in Horticulture for 2015. He was accepted into the Fall Advantage for 2015 and then, a few days later, got the Horticulture PI. He graduated on Friday in May, started the PI on Tuesday the following week. All the Horticulture PIs lived together in Vista Way (there were about 36 of them) because they had way different hours than the other CP or PIs. Their schedule had them arrive for work around 4AM and be off around noon. No Disney transportation at 3AM, so they had to provide their own transportation. He also applied for the PI in the Land, but found out later that most of the time it goes to someone who had already completed either the CP or another PI because the Land PI program is very limited. He finished his PI at the end of August and started the rest of his CP. But only for a week, because he got hired full time in Horticulture in the MK. He has a lot of friends from the CP or PI program. The PIs did not live in the CP housing. Some of them were offered jobs with Disney after their PI finished, but some did not. Some were offered positions with Disney contractors, too.

There aren't any PIs to my knowledge that require the College Program unless they have drastically changed the PI program. If you have similar experience not with Disney you can be just as competitive as someone who completed a PI.

Adding in that it is incredibly difficult to get some PIs so if he wants an internship to look good on a resume Disney should not be the only thing he is trying. Some years they will take applications and only have 1 or 2 spots. Other years they'll take outside applications but actively filled the roles with students from the local college that already have a relationship with Disney. Now some PIs did seem to take anyone and everyone with the minimum requirements when I applied because Disney had a ton of temp roles to fill in higher level skill sets so used PIs to fill them (GR when FP+ first launched).

So if one is in high school but wants a career at Disney and a PI or CP while in college, is there an advantage to going to college near the Orlando area in order to attend a school that may have that relationship with Disney?

So if one is in high school but wants a career at Disney and a PI or CP while in college, is there an advantage to going to college near the Orlando area in order to attend a school that may have that relationship with Disney?

I would not go that far to be honest. The CP has no difference and only a very few of the PIs have that relationship. If the goal is to say work for entertainment tech specifically at Disney then maybe but anything else I would not. It really depends what career at Disney they want. Again the only one I have ever heard gives some sort of priority to a local college is the entertainment tech PI and of course it is anecdotal the company does not officially say that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter