College Degree Spin Off

Julie's Haircut

DIS Veteran
For those who attended college, how many did you apply to? Did you get accepted at all of them?

I applied to five, got accepted at four.

Lehigh U didn't want me, but Drexel, Penn State, Boston U, and Northeastern (Boston) welcomed me. I chose Drexel in Philadelphia. A five year co-op program. Years 2, 3, and 4 were six months of classes, six months of paid internship.

I also earned an MBA there 7 years later.

I applied to 6 for undergrad, accepted to 4. For grad school I applied to 3, accepted to 1--ended up working out perfectly because I wouldn't have chosen it if I'd gotten into the others, but I loved the program so much and now I'll be done next week!

Applied to 5 for undergrad, got into all of them (was originally deferred at one, but later accepted). Applied to 4 for grad school, got into 2, denied at 1. The last of the 4 I had an interview scheduled for and am pretty confident I would've been accepted, but had already been accepted to the other two and they were both higher on my list, so I declined the interview.

I was an honor roll student who was involved in different activities or volunteer opportunities but could not get good SAT scores either time I took it which was a major thing they looked at 20 something years ago. Not sure if it is the same today. I also took the ACT. I knew where I wanted to go the same in state university my DM graduated from but was not sure if I would get in so applied to other local colleges/universities and was accepted into 4 out of the 5 was on the wait list for the other.

I'm going to be honest....I have no memory of how many places I applied to. No idea what my SAT score was, can't recall.
Accepted to a few, attended a few. U of De, Wesley in Dover, De AND University of WV all for a semester...Never finished - college wasn't for me. I should have admitted how much I disliked school way earlier -
Did okay career wise if I do say so myself.

In Australia the university is very different to the States. You apply through a central government-run body with your list of preferences of university programs and then only receive one offer for the top preference you qualify for (there are then second and third rounds of offers). It is also pretty rare for people to go to university outside of your home state. So I had different courses from four different universities on my preference list and would have got into any of them, but only received an offer for one.

I applied to somewhere around 20. Got into all of them. Attended the one that offered me the best scholarship package.

Only applied to one school at a time and was accepted to each.
NYCTC, Cornell, NYU, and Bard. Still haven’t completed my degree at Bard and time is running out.

I applied to one and got in. I figured I would go to a Junior College or State University if I didn't get in. I don't recall when I was applying to college in 1975 that most folks applied to more than one or two. 30 years later with my kids, some apply to 6 or more. And they CHARGE for applications now. Applying was free in my College Days, and they treated potential applicants like honored guests. You met with an admissions counselor, financial advisor, Professor in the Department you were interested in majoring in, had you sit in on a class, and treated you to lunch in the dining hall. My mom talked for decades about the dining hall having the best French Dip sandwiches she had ever had.

I applied to Northwestern and got in. Didn't apply anywhere else.

I applied to one and got in. I figured I would go to a Junior College or State University if I didn't get in. I don't recall when I was applying to college in 1975 that most folks applied to more than one or two. 30 years later with my kids, some apply to 6 or more. And they CHARGE for applications now. Applying was free in my College Days, and they treated potential applicants like honored guests. You met with an admissions counselor, financial advisor, Professor in the Department you were interested in majoring in, had you sit in on a class, and treated you to lunch in the dining hall. My mom talked for decades about the dining hall having the best French Dip sandwiches she had ever had.
It was common then to apply to more than one college in that era. My older sister thought my strategy was crazy so thank goodness I got in, LOL.

Just applied to community college got in then to university in city and got in

My parents discouraged me from going away to college, so the only one I applied to out of high school was the local junior college. When I went back for a career change I went to the local university.

Applied for four California public universities and got accepted to all four. There were a few twists. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo used the standard California State University application but had to be sent individually. They sent me a letter back asking if I really wanted to apply for the major. I applied for electrical engineering, which was apparently confused with electronics engineering, which was more what I wanted. The application fee was maybe $35? The University of California had a single application sent to their main office in Oakland. Might have been $35 for the first campus and $15 for each additional campus. Applied to Berkeley, Davis, and LA. First acceptance letter was from UCLA in a s standard business envelope. Thought it would be a rejection letter. They sent a packet separately. Cal Poly sent a post card acceptance. That came the same day as my UC Berkeley letter in a big package. A friend gave a ride home that day when I pulled it out of the mailbox. She was looking at it and staring because she desperately wanted one too. UC Davis came later in a large packet.

Also applied to five private schools. Didn’t get in.

I was recruited by Northwestern, Berkley School of Music, and a few other smaller music schools. I wanted to stay close to home because I didn't want to miss my cat too much (not kidding!) so I only applied to one state university an hour from home that also had one of the top music schools in the country. I was accepted and received both a music and swimming scholarship.

Applied early decision to my top choice, was accepted, and that was that. Had two safeties planned in case it didn’t come through but didn’t need to apply in the end.

I sent my ACT and SAT scores to 4 schools but I only applied to one school and was accepted there. Technically I was already a college student as I was dual enrolled for college credit for French class while I was in high school but that was at the community college. I did end up taking a math course before starting my undergrad at the community college (during the summer) and I think it was between my freshman and sophomore year of college during the summer I took my biology class and lab at the community college.

I didn't even know applying to colleges and them accepting you or rejecting you was a thing. Getting pregnant my senior year of HS took care of any "college dreams" I might have had. Good thing I guess because there was never any money to pay for college. I hadn't taken the SAT's or done any of the other things that you are supposed to do.

I went to our local community college 4-5 years later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter